Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (Help Please!)

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

B-Ware

Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (Help Please!)

#1 Post by B-Ware » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:36 pm

Hi all, I forgot my password to my PC administrator account "I know, stupid" so I burned this (Offline NT Password editor) to a disk and booted it up. Now it's suppose to reset the password to the account but I am stuck on a part that looks like this...

===============================
Step TWO: Select PATH and registry files
What is the path to the registry directory? (relative to windows disk)
[windows/system32/config] . _

The problem is, I don't know the path or what to do :roll: I've tried looking for vids. and other help but they seem to fly through this part without even answering the question. I've tried hitting enter, but it just keeps making more copies of the question :( I'm just seriously lost here, can someone help me figure this out PLEASE!!!! Thank you.

Icecube

#2 Post by Icecube » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:37 am

Press enter.

If you have installed Windows normally (in the C:\Windows and not in C:\Win-whatever), the path mentioned there is the right path.
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/

B-Ware

#3 Post by B-Ware » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:34 pm

Icecube wrote:Press enter.

If you have installed Windows normally (in the C:\Windows and not in C:\Win-whatever), the path mentioned there is the right path.

I've tried pressing enter, but it only creates a copy of the same question, ex...

B-Ware

#4 Post by B-Ware » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:04 pm

:oops: Ok you were right Icecube, it just took alittle while for it to continue. Thanks for your help^^

guerreiro

Re: Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (Help Please!)

#5 Post by guerreiro » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:51 am

Hi guys

I've got the same problem. Once it asks for the path to the registry... I just press ENTER but is coming the same question all the time.
Help.
Thanks

StopSpazzing

#6 Post by StopSpazzing » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:39 pm

As long as you installed it to the main HDD on the first partition, then the default entry is true. If you have installed it to another partition you will have to know the drive letter of the partition/HDD you installed windows onto to be able to get the registry hives loaded. To find out, boot UBCD and load into Parted Magic, from there mount all HDD's and figure out which one contains Windows. So, if it is the primary partition on the first HDD, then it typically is C:, then D: for next and so on and so forth. If you need any other help, let me know.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

admlshake

#7 Post by admlshake » Thu May 05, 2011 11:16 am

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm having this exact same issue. the partition my windows install is on is the second one (1 being the boot), and windows was installed into the default path. I've tried 1 and 2 but either way it still asks me where the default registry directory is at. I can't get past this step anyone have any ideas?

ady

#8 Post by ady » Fri May 06, 2011 6:01 am

admlshake wrote:Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm having this exact same issue. the partition my windows install is on is the second one (1 being the boot), and windows was installed into the default path. I've tried 1 and 2 but either way it still asks me where the default registry directory is at. I can't get past this step anyone have any ideas?
-----
[EDIT_UPDATE] 2014FEB25:

Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor 140201
(ntpasswd)
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
Among other changes:
A lot of users complained about user select being difficult to exit
(not understanding to use ! to quit), so after user edit, return
is to main menu or program exit (if not -i option)
So for future readers of this topic, please take note of this particular change if/when using an updated ntpasswd version.
[/EDIT_UPDATE]
-----

Some general tips.

This tool DELETES the password. It does not RECOVERS the password. So if you have some encryption software, eventually you will still need to enter the correct password to get to your data. Some laptops and systems alike have encryption installed without the user even knowing it. If you don't use encryption, then deleting the password should give you access to Windows so you can set a new one.

For Windows Seven, the "Windows" partition is usually number 2.

This is usually the problem with users not reading the complete screen with command line tools.

I can't know if this is your case, but let me ask you; after accepting the default registry path, what did you do?

You should select the correct option to "Edit user data and passwords" (option 1, <enter>).

After that, you need to type in the correct exact user name (with the same lower or upper cases). If the user name is the default for that step, simply press <enter>.

Select option "1" to clear (blank) user password.

If there are no errors, then you should see a message like "Password Cleared!".

Now type "!" (without quotation marks) so to quit this part of the process.

Please do not reset your system YET. You are NOT FINISHED!!!

In the previous step you used "!" to quit only "a part" of the process. Now you need to press "q" (without quotation marks) to quit.

NOW it asks "Step FOUR - writing back changes". You need to type "y" so to actually right the changes.

The additional tip I can tell you is, be patient. As with the OP, sometimes it just takes a little bit more time.

If you still can't find your correct Windows registry path, you may use PMagic in UBCD to find the correct drive "number" and the correct Windows Registry path for the correct "User name".

Are you seeing the "EDIT COMPLETE" message?

If you do, and you think that everything was done correctly, then press "n" <enter> so to finish the program.

Only NOW take out your CD and reset your system. When you get into your Windows account, go and set a new password.

I apologize if something of my message sounds somehow "rude" to someone. It is not my intention at all. I just know that many users that fail to correctly reset their passwords with this tool are actually failing just because they don't get to the end of the process (they don't read the instructions).
Last edited by ady on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

StopSpazzing

#9 Post by StopSpazzing » Fri May 20, 2011 7:51 am

Just use Ophcrack Live CD. It's easier and shows the password or lets you reset it with a GUI (no command line).
~Just StopSpazzing~

Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

rboothe

#10 Post by rboothe » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:20 pm

Ady,

Just had to say thanks a million! I had the same problem with :

I read thru your instructions carefully and BAM!!!

Worked like a charm...thanks again!

grover

#11 Post by grover » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:39 pm

Hello. I had the same problem with :

I couldn't find any solution in above posts. Please, help!

StopSpazzing

#12 Post by StopSpazzing » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:29 am

grover wrote:Hello. I had the same problem with :

I couldn't find any solution in above posts. Please, help!
So I'm guessing you have tried above suggestions, without more info on where your Windows partition is, we cant help you. If you know where it is located please let us know and we can help you out, if you don't, would try Ophcrack.
~Just StopSpazzing~

icoolfans

#13 Post by icoolfans » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:36 pm

Hi all, I forgot my password to my PC administrator account "I know, stupid" so I burned this (Offline NT Password editor) to a disk and booted it up. Now it's suppose to reset the password to the account but I am stuck on a part that looks like this...

The problem is, I don't know the path or what to do :roll: I've tried looking for vids. and other help but they seem to fly through this part without even answering the question. I've tried hitting enter, but it just keeps making more copies of the question :( I'm just seriously lost here, can someone help me figure this out PLEASE!!!! Thank you.

You can try Ophcrack to reset your windows admin password, maybe it works.

Or
The Factory Reset option resets the computer to the way it was when you first bought it. It also deletes all data, so you might want to copy important data before going through with this. You can copy important data using a bootable Linux DVD or USB among other methods. Good Luck!

thirockets

#14 Post by thirockets » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:31 pm

I also have problem in using NT Password. After making a bootable disk with USB, the computer got a blue screen during bootup. Now, i turned to UUkeys, which finally helped me recover forgotten password.

Debbie00

#15 Post by Debbie00 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:05 am

B-Ware wrote:Hi all, I forgot my password to my PC administrator account "I know, stupid" so I burned this (Offline NT Password editor) to a disk and booted it up. Now it's suppose to reset the password to windows account but I am stuck on a part that looks like this...

You can reset forgotten password with installation disk, simply complete the following steps:

1. Boot from the Windows installation DVD.
2. From the Windows Setup menu, click Next.
3. Select "Repair your computer"
4. Under Choose and option, click on Troubleshoot.
5. Under Advanced options, click Command Prompt.
6. At the command prompt, run the following commands: d:
cd windows\system32
ren Utilman.exe Utilman.exe.old
copy cmd.exe Utilman.exe
7. Close the command prompt and then click Continue.
8. The computer should now boot and present the logon screen. Here click Windows Key + U.
9. At the prompt you can now change the password, by typing the following command: net user administrator Password123
10. This will set the password for the Administrator user to be Password123 (case sensitive).
11. Closing the command prompt, you should now be able to log back onto the computer using the password you have provided in the last step.

gibbs3321

#16 Post by gibbs3321 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:30 am

Debbie00 wrote:
B-Ware wrote:Hi all, I forgot my password to my PC administrator account "I know, stupid" so I burned this (Offline NT Password editor) to a disk and booted it up. Now it's suppose to reset the password to windows account but I am stuck on a part that looks like this...

You can reset forgotten password with installation disk, simply complete the following steps:

cd windows\system32
copy cmd.exe Utilman.exe
8. The computer should now boot and present the logon screen. Here click Windows Key + U.
9. At the prompt you can now change the password, by typing the following command: net user administrator Password123
10. This will set the password for the Administrator user to be Password123 (case sensitive).
11. Closing the command prompt, you should now be able to log back onto the computer using the password you have provided in the last step.
Try resetting with ophcrack, its quite simple. See how it works for you.

mtrkonghi

#17 Post by mtrkonghi » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:38 pm

Debbie00 wrote:

cd windows\system32
copy cmd.exe Utilman.exe
Followed the guide and reset the password. The funny thing is that the computer still asks for password during next boot up.

It is a Windows 10 machine.