Suggestions for replacement of Parted Magic

Discussion/announcements about test/beta releases of UBCD will be posted here.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

ady

Re: Suggestions for replacement of Parted Magic

#101 Post by ady » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:08 am

trevellyan wrote:For what it's worth, I also want to mention that I can't remember the last time I encountered a PC with less than 512MB of RAM.
While it is true that new hardware has more RAM, there are several scenarios in which a relatively-small amount of RAM is available.

Just to mention a few of such relevant cases:
_ testing / evaluating / repairing older systems;
_ refurbishing older systems (e.g. for donation);
_ testing UBCD in VMs (which means that less than half of the host's RAM is available).

In other words, new systems in 1st-world countries are not the only "typical use" of UBCD.

Independently, UBCD should always try to use as minimal resources as possible, perhaps with alternative (not default) options for taking advantage of more resources when they are available.

trevellyan

#102 Post by trevellyan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:11 am

ady wrote: _ testing / evaluating / repairing older systems;
_ refurbishing older systems (e.g. for donation);
I do both, and stand by my comment about RAM in this context. Specifically with regard to refurbishing older systems, I wouldn't claim to have refurbished an older system if I hadn't made sure it had at least enough RAM to run a lightweight desktop, which seems to imply at least 512MB nowadays. In fact, I'd be embarrassed to deliver a system with less than 1GB and call it "refurbished".
ady wrote: _ testing UBCD in VMs (which means that less than half of the host's RAM is available).
Not sure I understand why you'd do this on such a low end machine, since with virtualization you can set the specs you want regardless of the host, but OK.
ady wrote: In other words, new systems in 1st-world countries are not the only "typical use" of UBCD.
I'm not thinking only of new systems, but it's true that my personal experience is limited to 1st-world countries.
ady wrote: Independently, UBCD should always try to use as minimal resources as possible, perhaps with alternative (not default) options for taking advantage of more resources when they are available.
Trying to use minimal resources is a valid goal, as is trying to take advantage of new norms. Trying to do both in one package adds complexity. Since I'm not involved in developing UBCD, I won't try to evaluate whether that's worthwhile.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with the way it is now, just offering my viewpoint.

pica

#103 Post by pica » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:22 pm

well Parted Magic just broke for me for one use. Flash.

I don't have flash on my browser normally because of security issues, so when I need it I just boot something light like Parted Magic.

The script that downloads flash broke today. I dug into it and it has to pull something from http://beefdrapes.partedmagic.com/flashplayer/ and that's been removed as of today.

I can boot something like lubuntu instead though. I usually boot UBCD -> super grub2 -> "everything" --> and then just boot the ISO directly. All of the ubuntu ISOs are "loop bootable" in this way. No need to burn any more DVDs (and the majority of their ISOs have not fit on a CD in a while, the CD is about to go the way of the floppy.)

Edit to add:

1. boot ubuntu or another flavor
2. open a terminal
3. $ sudo su -
4. # apt-get update && apt-get install -y flashplugin-installer
5. # exit
6. $ exit

and then launch firefox

milindck

#104 Post by milindck » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:54 pm

There is a project called NTFS-3G which is a driver for NTFS. But not sure if it can be used to do partition resize. Also not sure what it would take to build the NTFS-3G driver for UBCD

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NTFS-3G

Victor Chew

#105 Post by Victor Chew » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:35 pm

@milindck: ntfs-3g is already included in the build. It's what gparted relies on for NTFS support.

Victor Chew

#106 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:31 am

After a long break, here's a new build of UBCD Live:

Version: 0.1.4a
Download: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download/ubcdlive014a.iso
Size: 460MB
md5sum: 78ce78abbbab385eb0e4e6c85eed57e5

Changelog:

V0.1.4a
- Added ddrescue and ddrutility.
- Added wicd and spacefm icons to desktop.

Build script: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download/build014a.txz

There has been quite a number of significant changes to the Debian jessie line that it is no longer possible to build a live CD using wheezy. To build this version of UBCD Live, you need to have a working jessie distribution.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install live-build
sudo apt-get install apt-cacher-ng
mkdir ubcdlive
cd ubcdlive
lb init
tar -Jxvf build014a.txz
./mk_ubcdlive.sh

ady

#107 Post by ady » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:53 pm

Hi Victor,

Thank you for the new release.

Since we are already talking about the next Debian (which will use systemd)...

SpaceFM is not going to receive any additional features. If there is some serious bug report, then it _might_, _perhaps_, be fixed at some point. So, although I like SpaceFM and it is currently not failing, it might be wise to at least have an eye opened looking for some potential replacement in some future release of UBCD Live. Ideally, light, with (un)mount capabilities, correctly showing storage devices, and that would not require to add (many) additional dependencies (e.g. please let's avoid adding GTK+ dependencies if they are not already needed for something else). No rush (and no obligation either), just to be aware.

And talking about space... Considering that both included antivirus GUIs allow for updating their respective databases, could we please avoid the 110+MB (out of 460MB) of antivirus databases?

I know this is still in alpha, but I would like to remind you that the "/isolinux/" directory can be improved a lot (thus, also simplifying the procedure of “burning” the ISO on a USB drive, among other advantages).

TIA,
Ady.

Victor Chew

#108 Post by Victor Chew » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:54 am

SpaceFM is not going to receive any additional features. If there is some serious bug report, then it _might_, _perhaps_, be fixed at some point. So, although I like SpaceFM and it is currently not failing, it might be wise to at least have an eye opened looking for some potential replacement in some future release of UBCD Live.
I am opened to suggestions if you guys have any. I will keep a look out as well.
And talking about space... Considering that both included antivirus GUIs allow for updating their respective databases, could we please avoid the 110+MB (out of 460MB) of antivirus databases?
OK, I will exclude them from the alpha images. But if we do use this within UBCD eventually, they will be included. We have had this discussion before, and I won't be changing my mind.
I know this is still in alpha, but I would like to remind you that the "/isolinux/" directory can be improved a lot (thus, also simplifying the procedure of “burning” the ISO on a USB drive, among other advantages).
Again, this has been discussed before. It is premature to optimize it at this stage. I will stick with what Debian live-build provides. Again, if we do eventually include this within UBCD, we can perform optimization then like we do with PM.

Victor Chew

#109 Post by Victor Chew » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:48 pm

UBCD Live V0.2.0b released. Please refer to:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14805&p=25541#p25541

rafnov

#110 Post by rafnov » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:04 am

Why not just putting any other suitable small distro instead more than 1,5 year old PM?