UBCD V5.3.4 available for download

Discussion/announcements about test/beta releases of UBCD will be posted here.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Victor Chew

UBCD V5.3.4 available for download

#1 Post by Victor Chew » Sat May 02, 2015 1:54 pm

UBCD V5.3.4 is available for download:

You can grab it via torrent or normal download at the download page.

Changelog:

- Updated ASTRA to V6.23. Thanks to ady for the update.
- Updated HDClone to V5.1.5. Thanks to ady for the update.
- Updated "ubcd/tools/win32/unxutils/bin/xz.exe" to V5.2.1. Thanks to ady for the update.
- Updated Intel Processor Identification Utility to V5.10. Thanks to ady for the update.
- Fixed launch parameter for Mersenne Prime Test V28.5. Thanks to bob3248/ady for bringing this to my attention.
- Updated PhotoRec to 7.0 final.
- Updated TestDisk to 7.0 final.
- Added Q&D Unit Clone V1.1m. Thanks to author for his suggestion via email.
- Added Q&D Unit/Track/Head/Sector V1.3h Thanks to author for his suggestion via email.
- Added Q&D Vital Data Manager V1.4f. Thanks to author for his suggestion via email.

Victor Chew

Re: UBCD V5.3.4 available for download

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Mon May 04, 2015 7:54 pm

I made an unfortunate mistake during this update, so both ASTRA and INTELPIU within DOSAPPS/FDUBCD were not updated as they should be.

I have corrected the website (version numbers and changelog) to reflect this, and will push out a new release this weekend with the necessary corrections.

Thanks to ady for pointing this out!

ady

#3 Post by ady » Mon May 04, 2015 9:43 pm

IMHO, the 2 remaining updates don't justify a new release of UBCD.

I think there are at least 3 alternatives:

1_ Let interested users customize their current UBCD with updated versions by themselves (my preferred option), until additional updates are worth a new release.

2_ Attach / upload 2 floppy images, with the respective updates of the 2 programs (I am convinced some usual lazy leechers would like something of this sort).

3_ Attach / upload a new fdubcd.img.gz with the updates (I am convinced some usual lazy leechers would love something like this too).

The ultra leechers that are used to receive but have no intention to contribute will have their complains / whining about not receiving a new full complete ISO image.

This matter brings up again an old discussion about the possibility of distributing an alternative torrent. In addition to the normal "ubcd<nnn>.iso", an alternative torrent with an updated "ubcd_extracted_for_torrent" directory could be published for each release, allowing downloads of changed files (only).

Please note that I am not referring to xdelta. Users with enough knowledge and experience about torrents would be able to offer their previously-downloaded "ubcd_extracted" content (from prior versions) to the torrent swarm, and a simple "force-recheck" (or equivalent) would allow to download the differences only, (each user) saving 100's of MB in downloads while still being able to share the complete content. Moreover, for those of us that don't need an outdated antivirus database in each release, it would also save us from downloading another group of 100's of MB that are not relevant just a couple of days after the initial release date.

Of course, users should avoid pointing the torrent to their original UBCD; only using a copy (located in "ubcd_extracted_for_torrent" and leaving their own "originals" in their own directories).

ady

#4 Post by ady » Wed May 06, 2015 1:13 am

2015MAY05:
Partition-Saving V4.20 was released.

For users, it is recommended to read the changelog (and manual).

Also, a new program has been released by the same author, "Partition-Explorer".

Users should be very cautious when using these programs!

Victor Chew

#5 Post by Victor Chew » Wed May 06, 2015 4:45 pm

This matter brings up again an old discussion about the possibility of distributing an alternative torrent. In addition to the normal "ubcd<nnn>.iso", an alternative torrent with an updated "ubcd_extracted_for_torrent" directory could be published for each release, allowing downloads of changed files (only).
The rsync method (as noted in this thread) I feel is still the best method to bring the local copy up-to-date. I don't think an extra torrent is necessary.

Code: Select all

rsync -rP www.ultimatebootcd.com::ubcd/* .
It is also easy to skip updating the virus DBs if you are so inclined:

rsync -rP --exclude=pmodules/*-definitions.txz www.ultimatebootcd.com::ubcd/* .
Updates to Partition Saving and new Partition Explorer noted. Thanks!

ady

#6 Post by ady » Wed May 06, 2015 6:23 pm

Victor Chew wrote:I don't think an extra torrent is necessary.
Necessary is not. The rsync alternative is also not really necessary. But they are convenient. For users that already use the torrent download method, using an alternative torrent instead of the "full iso image" torrent would be very simple; simpler than adding one more tool (rsync) for the same users to manage / learn / use.

On another matter, I have noticed a couple of things about the fdubcd image in 5.3.4 (in addition to INTELPIU and ASTRA):

_ The volume label of fdubcd.img is (still)
"FDUBCD150  "
(that's 11 characters, uppercase). This is of course just a minor detail, and does not affect functionality.

_ By zeroing out (aka. wiping with one pass only) the _empty_ space inside the fdubcd.img image (there are several ways to do this), the resulting gzip file is about 95KB smaller. Alternatively, creating a new image (with exactly the same formatting characteristics) and copying the files (in the "right order") should lead to the same effect (the empty space has been "polluted" after several updates already performed in its content, since the first time we used this superfloppy image). Not critical either, of course.

Victor Chew

#7 Post by Victor Chew » Thu May 07, 2015 1:29 am

_ The volume label of fdubcd.img is (still)

"FDUBCD150 "

(that's 11 characters, uppercase). This is of course just a minor detail, and does not affect functionality.

_ By zeroing out (aka. wiping with one pass only) the _empty_ space inside the fdubcd.img image (there are several ways to do this), the resulting gzip file is about 95KB smaller. Alternatively, creating a new image (with exactly the same formatting characteristics) and copying the files (in the "right order") should lead to the same effect (the empty space has been "polluted" after several updates already performed in its content, since the first time we used this superfloppy image). Not critical either, of course.
Both points noted and added to todo. Thanks!

ady

#8 Post by ady » Thu May 07, 2015 10:12 pm

Regarding

./ubcd/tools/linux/ubcd2usb/readme.txt
https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/forums/v ... 569#p25569

Victor Chew

#9 Post by Victor Chew » Fri May 08, 2015 2:09 am

Noted. Will make the necessary changes to "/ubcd/tools/linux/ubcd2usb/readme.txt"