How to Use the Ultimate Boot CD ?

Post your suggestions here if there are new features or applications that you would like added to the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

BootCamp

How to Use the Ultimate Boot CD ?

#1 Post by BootCamp » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:24 pm

Maybe I overlooked this and it already exists, but I did not see it. Maybe it is a case of "if you have to ask, you don't need it" but I think it would be useful to have a guide on what to do for a computer that will not boot.

Perhaps a few basic scenarios, in response to some common error messages such as..

(These are some examples that I am making up from memory)
"Not a bootable disk"
"Invalid FAT"
"Missing MBR"

and for each of these (and some others) a suggested sequence of boot with the UBCD, run this tool, then do this, then do this, etc.

I have made myself an Ultimate Boot CD, tested it, and it boots, and I can navigate using the menus. I do not have a problem now, but when I do, I would like to have more of an idea of what to do than I do now.

Constance

Re: How to Use the Ultimate Boot CD ?

#2 Post by Constance » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:32 am

BootCamp wrote:Maybe it is a case of "if you have to ask, you don't need it"
I think that's the case... I believe most of us we are ok with providing help to people who have a specific problem, I don't think the aim of this forum or the UBCD would be to be a guide for anyone to solve their computer problems themselves.
( Techs have to earn their lives too, you know :D )

Of course it's not a problem if one wishes to get some technical knowledge and try to solve his problems by himself, but UBCD contains powerful and potentially "dangerous" if misused tools, it's better not to use it if you don't already have a certain level of knowledge on what a certain type of tool is made for and what can be done with it, if it can be undone ... etc ^^
And you don't get such knowledge by just following a guide, unless it's very documented.

In addition it would be impossible to cover all of the problems that may occur with a personnal computer and give a 100% certain solution to each of them that anyone could follow.
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

Administrator99

Some basic data recovery steps

#3 Post by Administrator99 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:32 pm

The post by Constance was not satisfactory. The purpose of this forum is to share information. You must, of course, take responsibility for whatever data recovery actions you decide to take.

One general principle of data recovery is to avoid writing to the defective drive. That could overwrite some of the data you are trying to recover. Boot from another drive, and try to copy files from it if possible. An interesting summary of some data recovery steps can be found at the multi-page article at

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm? ... 139&page=1

You are correct to try to improve your knowledge of the recovery process before your hard drive fails, rather than after.