Help: UBCD stops after "Loading Boot Sector.. Booting..

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Rassy

Help: UBCD stops after "Loading Boot Sector.. Booting..

#1 Post by Rassy » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:29 am

Hi guys,

I am having problems getting this nice piece of software to work. I burned the latest iso img using imgburn and the CD actually boots and I can see the menu, BUT

when I choose an application the boot-process stops after "Loading Boot Sector.. Booting..."

Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks for your support
Rassy

jason.b.c

Re: Help: UBCD stops after "Loading Boot Sector.. Booti

#2 Post by jason.b.c » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:28 pm

Rassy wrote: Any idea what might be wrong?
Yea , You burned the disk TOO fast...

viewtopic.php?t=776
Freespire and Puppy Linux user....

Rassy

#3 Post by Rassy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:45 am

Hi Jason,

I just burned with 1x speed using IMGBurn but still it stops after "Loading..."

Any ideas?

jason.b.c

#4 Post by jason.b.c » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:23 am

Maybe you got a bad download..? , You should delete the old one and download again...

Rassy

#5 Post by Rassy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:46 am

OK, i did a MD5 checksum test on the downloaded ISO-Image and it equals the published number (4330c7ce679f00963373a768837cf3a0).

So its not about a wrong download.

Any other ideas? I really need to test this harddrive of mine

Thanks for your support
Rassy

jason.b.c

#6 Post by jason.b.c » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:24 pm

uh , well i am really out of idea's then , all i can say is burn another one , if that still don't work you may be S O L ....

verndog

#7 Post by verndog » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:27 pm

Rassy wrote:OK, i did a MD5 checksum test on the downloaded ISO-Image and it equals the published number (4330c7ce679f00963373a768837cf3a0).

So its not about a wrong download.

Any other ideas? I really need to test this harddrive of mine

Thanks for your support
Rassy
Try in one of the virtual machines.

Rassy

#8 Post by Rassy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:24 am

@dog: virtual machines? Where do I find those?

Thanks for your support guys!!

Constance

#9 Post by Constance » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:41 pm

Rassy wrote:virtual machines? Where do I find those?
For example MS Virtual PC 2007 (seems to be the easiest to use), or VMWare player, with help of that : http://www.easyvmx.com/ (you can't create a virtual machine with VMWare player ~~ ).

There are others but seemed to me they were either a pain to configure ( I'm thinking about qemu ) or very unstable ( now thinking about virtualbox ...).
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

jason.b.c

#10 Post by jason.b.c » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:04 pm

Why in the world does he need a virtual machine..?

If the disk he already has dosen't boot...!

verndog

#11 Post by verndog » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:35 pm

jason.b.c wrote:Why in the world does he need a virtual machine..?

If the disk he already has dosen't boot...!
The reason is, he's having trouble with the burn. If he uses the ISO in a virtual machine that would eliminate the burn.

I do not agree with Constance regarding VrtualBox. It has NEVER been unstable with any runs that I have used.

VirtualBox is free and still being maintained. If you have problem with it, then report the bug. How else can a program improve without involvement, as in Ultimate Boot disk bug related fixes.

Constance

#12 Post by Constance » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:55 pm

verndog wrote:I do not agree with Constance regarding VrtualBox. It has NEVER been unstable with any runs that I have used.
Well I have never been able to install Windows 98 in VirtualBox without several crashes during install - and was never able to finish installing it correctly - though I had no problem with doing it in Virtual PC, using the very same ISO image or real disk in drive.
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.

Victor Chew

#13 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 am

QEMU Manager is quite a nice frontend to QEMU. I use it sometimes as an alterative VM for testing.

Victor Chew

#14 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:26 am

BTW, Rassy, you could also try the CDR you burnt on a different machine and see if you get the same problem. If could be some incompatibility with the machine itself.

verndog

#15 Post by verndog » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:05 am

Constance wrote:
Rassy wrote:virtual machines? Where do I find those?
For example MS Virtual PC 2007 (seems to be the easiest to use), or VMWare player, with help of that : http://www.easyvmx.com/ (you can't create a virtual machine with VMWare player ~~ ).

There are others but seemed to me they were either a pain to configure ( I'm thinking about qemu ) or very unstable ( now thinking about virtualbox ...).
Thanks for the info on "easyvmx" ! I never knew it existed. I have both VMware workstation & Player. Player is smaller but can't create virtual machine. I'll try easyvmx.
Rassy would benefit from using a VM to check first any mods he makes before burning to CD. It's sooo much faster, and a great quick check.
PS- I never used any virtualmachine with win98.

Constance

#16 Post by Constance » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:46 pm

Victor Chew wrote:QEMU Manager is quite a nice frontend to QEMU. I use it sometimes as an alterative VM for testing.
Nice ^^
I'll give it a try :]

verndog

#17 Post by verndog » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:02 am

Victor Chew wrote:QEMU Manager is quite a nice frontend to QEMU. I use it sometimes as an alterative VM for testing.
This is a good VM manager! Thanks for info. Very fast indeed. I like the fact you can store on USB pen drive. Small and compact.

Rassy

#18 Post by Rassy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:30 pm

Hi guys,

I tested the bootcd on a different computer and yes, it works fine there. I am just wondering, whats wrong with my hardware configuration. Is there a list for non-compatible hardware?

Thanks for your support guys
Rassy

verndog

#19 Post by verndog » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:41 pm

Rassy wrote:Hi guys,

I tested the bootcd on a different computer and yes, it works fine there. I am just wondering, whats wrong with my hardware configuration. Is there a list for non-compatible hardware?

Thanks for your support guys
Rassy
Why don't you list your PC hardware config, HD-sata,ata, CPU, make,model,etc., DVD/CD info also.

Victor Chew

#20 Post by Victor Chew » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:18 am

BTW, did you apply the V4.0.1 patch? I accidentally included an older version of memdisk in V4.0, so wondering whether updating it will help.

You can also try to post the question on the syslinux mailing list, but the discussion there tend to be a lot more technical, so be prepared to eg. regression test on older versions of memdisk until one works, so that the author can identify the changes in the new version that broke on your hardware. This is necessary because the author won't have access to your machine, so he needs to rely on indirect methods to debug.