It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:31 pm 

Quote:
I tested tools\ubcd2usb\ubcd2usb.bat and it made my usb stick into a bootable ubcd.

I have run into some problems with some of the applications and can be more specific if you'd like.

Yes! Please be more specific. The more details you provide, the better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:51 am 

Ok, here goes...

Memtest86 - Failed to boot :(
Memtest86+ - Failed to boot :( (use binary directly, works fine)
Docmem - Boots but locks up :(
WinDiag - Works :)
TestMemIV - Works by the looks of it :?

MaxBlast - Failed to boot :(
Seagate Disk Manager - Works :)
Seagate Disc Wizard - Failed to boot :(
Samsung Disc Manager - Failed to boot :(

Darik's Boot & Nuke - Caused reboot whilst loading kernel image :(

LZ Dos (dosubcd.igz) image failed no matter what QHIMEM option selected :( error stated "No XMS manager (himem.sys)". Works fine in VM (not surprising) so I don't see anything is missing. Maybe this ver doesn't like my rig...

My test rig:

Athlon XP 3200+
1gb DDR PC3200 Ram
Nvidia 6600gt (AGP)
Two SATA 120gb HDD (without RAID) & one 250gb EIDE
DVD-RW & DVD-ROM

This might not help but I'd rather be thorough!

Later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:02 am 

Wow, not too encouraging for my first feedback. :cry:

It would be nice if you could try these two things out for me:

1. Run everything from a CD and see if the same apps still break under your rig.

2. On your memory stick, rename DOSUBCD.IMG to DOSUBCD.BAK, then rename FDUBCD.IMG to DOSUBCD.IMG. Now boot up from your memory stick and see if FreeDOS runs better than LZ-DOS for your machine.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:45 am 

Just a quick response...

1. I was!

2. No problem, so-long-as I can find were one of my USB sticks is. I havn't had any need to use one in a while! If all else fails I'll try this from CD.

Also...

I never had much luck using memdisk to boot the standalone images in previous versions. I always switched to diskemu instead.

Obviously this was under CDShell but I was wondering if there was an alt to memdisk for isolinux/syslinux or if a ad-hoc system could be developed?

Update:

FreeDOS image works just great :D. At least half the Apps will work now with out issue.

Now you just need to fix the images. Couldn't you run most of those apps through FreeDOS as well?

Another Update:

The ubcd2iso batch works really well :D . From what I understand mkisofs has the ability to write duplicate files once. Do you know if this is true? The reason I ask is because at the moment I use CDImage but I'd be interested in switching to mkisofs instead!

I'm also working on an alt for booting dban which shouldn't be too difficult since the author used syslinux anyway. I just need to mod the locations in the config file really.

Later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:03 pm 

Anyone else tried UBCD 4.0 Beta 1? Feedback/comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:58 am 

I poped the iso into virtual PC to check out what it looks like now. Launched a few random things and all seemed to work fine. I have not had a chance to burn and test on a real machine yet though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:18 pm 

Can we split this into a 4.0 Beta thread?

So far I'm a little bummed out that the menu system is totally different, but it that's what is needed for greater compatibility I can't object.

Is there a reason why you're using the text-based menu system instead of the graphical one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:07 am 

Quote:
Can we split this into a 4.0 Beta thread?

OK, just created new thread here.

Quote:
Is there a reason why you're using the text-based menu system instead of the graphical one?

Same reason why I didn't use a graphical menu for UBCD V3.x under CDShell.

UBCD is intended to be a tool to use when something needs fixing. Using graphics will introduce another variable to the situation i.e. whether the underlying code is compatible with your video card. I would rather not have this variable. Flashy graphics doesn't buy you anything when something is badly broken and needs fixing. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:29 pm 

first I want to thank you for your great tool :D

i have tried to install ubcd40b1 to my USBStick. but i did not success... :oops:

is it possible that there is a problem if the usbdrive is lager than 1Gig? ( I have a cheep 2Gig drive) i tried to format with the hp tool using FAT. after i run the ubcd2usb from the shell i just got the error : makebootfat.exe failed... i also get an error if i try to run "syslinux.exe" on the usbdrive.

regards, sascha

Post subject: super grub disk and ultimate boot cd 4
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:52 am 

Victor Chew wrote:
Quote:
Would it be possible to include the CD version of Super Grub Disk and the current version of G4U in the final release?

I have tried, but didn't succeed. If you have any info on how to do it, please let me know.

For the CD version of SGD, I don't think GRUB can co-exist with isolinux on the same CD.

Don't you use the diskemu trick anymore in order to boot isos in v4 ?
Do you use syslinux or isolinux, so the only way to make things work is using a floppy image, is it like this?

I myself did some tests on chainloading iso9660_stage1_5 from isolinux but I think it did not work very well.

adrian15

BTW, I plan to release a working SGD floppy image soon, because I know there is a bug and that it only shows you: grub>.

http://adrian15.raulete.net/blog/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:11 pm 

Quote:
Don't you use the diskemu trick anymore in order to boot isos in v4 ?
Do you use syslinux or isolinux, so the only way to make things work is using a floppy image, is it like this?

Yeah, both diskemu and bcdw can't be used under UBCD V4.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2