UBCD System Requirements

Post your suggestions here if there are new features or applications that you would like added to the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Bullseye

UBCD System Requirements

#1 Post by Bullseye » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:32 pm

Anyone know what the minimum system requirements are for the UBCD?
YOU ONLY GET ONE SHOT AT LIFE!

avantman42

#2 Post by avantman42 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:47 am

I imagine it will vary, depending on which boot option you use. In other words, the different programs will have their own requirements. Given that they all(?) use a command-line interface, I suspect the system requirements will be very low, and any PC that can boot from CD will probably be fine.

Russ

Victor Chew

UBCD System Requirements

#3 Post by Victor Chew » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:50 am

The minimum system requirements for booting the UBCD is that your BIOS
must support booting from the CD-ROM drive.

The individual utilties on the UBCD have their own requirements. For
example, some utilities only work with certain brand of HDDs installed.

malaire

#4 Post by malaire » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:28 am

Does this mean that UBCD would work even on 16-bit 8086 computers with only 640KB of memory?

I'd really like to know what is the minimum supported processor.

avantman42

#5 Post by avantman42 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:42 am

malaire wrote:Does this mean that UBCD would work even on 16-bit 8086 computers with only 640KB of memory?

I'd really like to know what is the minimum supported processor.
The Linux-based tools definitely won't, since Linux requires a 386. The FreeDOS-based tools should do, though. From the FreeDOS FAQ:
FreeDOS FAQ wrote:... FreeDOS should run on all PC's. That means you can run FreeDOS on your Pentium-Pro 800Mhz. It will just run really fast. You should also be able to run FreeDOS on your 5MHz PC-XT. It will just run a little slow.

FreeDOS will run on all levels of PC's, from as low as an XT with 640k memory. We may one day expand the project to support 32-bit extensions such as protected memory or multi-tasking, but for now we are content with supporting the lower systems.

All of this information, and more, is spelled out in the FreeDOS Manifesto.
Russ

Victor Chew

#6 Post by Victor Chew » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:57 pm

There are some Linux-based tools on the UBCD (like DBAN) that definitely won't run. Some DOS tools also run in 32-bit extended mode, so they won't work either. I guess you just need to try and see, if you *gasp* still have an XT machine!