It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: compaq won't boot
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:23 am 

Hi there,I hope someone can help me.
I was given a compaq presario model 7947 PC with windows 98,so I installed windows xp.I have 2 drives,so I looked on a forum on how to only have one drive load,so I could avoid the choice prompt.Well,now it won't boot up at all & it doesn't even recognize the restore cd.When I tried it in safe mode,it only gives me the one XP choice and when I click on it,it gives a boot error.
Any suggestions?
TIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:14 am 

Hello :)
What exactly do you want to do ?

I mean, do you want to keep Windows 98 and XP, reinstall 98 only, or XP only ?
Do you have some data to save or can we just erase everything to make a clean install ? ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:26 pm 

Hi Constance,
I'd like to just install XP & I have nothing I need to save so I can erase everything with no problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:04 am 

Well then, just delete the partitions using one of the filesystem/partition tools, and do the installation again using WinXP's CD :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:08 pm 

I have no clue what that means,I'm not very computer savvy.How exactly would I delete partitions :? And remember,When I turn the pc on,it gives me the option to choose xp(white lettering,black background) and as soon as I click it,it says theres a boot error & I cant do anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:40 am 

Run Free FDisk in Filesystem Tools\Partition Tools, enable the big drive support, then follow the "instructions" on screen by choosing whichever options are good to delete all the partitions on the drive.
You can check that everything has been erased by going back to Free FDisk's main menu and choosing "4 : Display partition information".

Then exit Free FDisk and reboot computer, with your Windows XP CD inside the drive. You should be able to start installing it then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:33 am 

thanks for all your help :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]