ultimate boot cd based on grub (or supergrub)

Post your suggestions here if there are new features or applications that you would like added to the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

adrian15

ultimate boot cd based on grub (or supergrub)

#1 Post by adrian15 » Mon May 14, 2007 5:25 am

I've checked out ultimate boot cd 4.1.1. and I've seen that you use syslinux and memdisk.

Using Grub (or Supergrub) with memdisk you can do the same thing.

More than this... Super Grub Disk has a set of scripts to create lst files so that you can go back in menues (similar to what you do right now).

You could also put some text explanations (to explain what a program does) each time you open a menu.

And Super Grub Disk has some useful grub_device variables.

I also have to say that you could install the "SGDUBC" to a pendrive the same way nowadays you can install SGD to a pendrive. The bad thing about it is that you need to do that under a linux environment.

With SGD you could write the explanations in various languages too.

You could also use a gfxboot background to make ubcd fancier but I think it is not important.

If you get bored of isolinux or you want me to write you a little example on how could UBCD be done just ask me.

See you.

adrian15

Victor Chew

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Tue May 15, 2007 4:06 am

Thanks for the suggestion! I will keep it in mind.

Does GRUB support the booting of ISO images directly eg. via diskemu or bcdw?

adrian15

Diskemu with supergrub (maybe with a grub4dos patch)

#3 Post by adrian15 » Wed May 16, 2007 1:48 am

Victor Chew wrote:Thanks for the suggestion! I will keep it in mind.
Thank your for keeping it in mind.
Victor Chew wrote: Does GRUB support the booting of ISO images directly eg. via diskemu or bcdw?
If you cannot make work diskemu with isolinux you won't be able to make it work with supergrub.

However I might be able to patch supergrub with some grub4dos patches that enable the booting of ISOs saved as files inside a cdrom or another filesystem but I am not interested in it right now.

And I already saw the patches and were ugly and difficult. :)

adrian15

To get an idea on how Supergrub's UBCD would be you can get yourself a supergrub copy and see its menues. Instead of let's say Fix Boot of Linux option you will be able to boot whatever floppy image thanks to memdisk.

adrian15

Super Live Boot

#4 Post by adrian15 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:17 am

I have not yet worked on my particular version of Ultimate Boot cd based on super grub disk.

However I have worked on a very similar project, which it is called Super Live Boot.

There is a demo iso here: SLB 0.9624.

SLBUBCD will not be focused on choosing boot options but on selecting the tool you want to boot into and will also support booting from usb.

Hope that in the next holidays week I will work in it and see what happens.

adrian15