custom path=[ubcd]/myapps/ for all dos versions

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

freeballer

custom path=[ubcd]/myapps/ for all dos versions

#1 Post by freeballer » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:17 am

Can one add a command to the "append =" or some other area in ubcd to create a custom path and enable use of custom commands. (eg. if I wanted to add doom for dos in [ubcd]\games\doom\ and use command "doom" to start it up instead of \games\doom\doom.exe) also making sure that it will always look at drive letter ubcd is on (assuming it will change a great deal on other computers)<--- this isn't what I'm trying to do, but I'm not sure which commands I will be adding yet

Victor Chew

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:14 am

The DOS images always look for apps under the \dosapps directory on the UBCD, so you need to stick your own apps there.

Also, remember to put a "startup.bat" file under the app directory to run the app.

freeballer

#3 Post by freeballer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:42 am

ok, I see what you're saying. It's not exactly what I was looking though.
I have several tools I'd like to add to the command line, not just one to startup automatically.

my best example is if I boot directly into FreeDOS Boot Disk V3.40 in dos/bootdisks and end up in a command prompt. Now besides the normal dos commands, etc.. I can use I want to have a few others of my own. (eg. zip, unzip,rar,unrar,gzip,tar,etc......) without having to type "[drive]:\mydosapps\unrar" I want to be able to type "unrar".

two problems, first I'd like to be able to use these apps in all dos versions free,open,etcc.. second I don't want to have to worry what drive lettter ubcd is on but done automatically and add "[drive]:\mydosapps" to path settings

Constance

#4 Post by Constance » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:44 am

Well, if I understood what you want, this should do it :

Extract fdubcd.img from Images\dosubcd.igz
(That's a floppy image file).
Mount it on a virtual drive or rawrite it to a real floppy.
There, open BIN\UBCD.BAT

Look for the following line :
set PATH=%PATH%;%ubcddrv%\dosapps\4dos
and replace it with that one :
set PATH=%PATH%;%ubcddrv%\dosapps\4dos;%ubcddrv%\<insert here whatever is the name of your custom apps directory>

Note : I'd recommend using a name compatible with the "8.3" dos standard, "mydosapps" would be too long.

Save.

Now save an image of your modified floppy, compress it in GZip format to replace the original in the UBCD, re-"compile" the UBCD ISO...

Of course you may have to do a similar manipulation on other DOS and Linux boot disks : locate the starting batchs that handle the PATH variable and modify it to meet your wishes.
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

freeballer

#5 Post by freeballer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:48 pm

thanks constance, that appears to be what I'm looking for.

It was giving me a headache trying to find exactly where I needed to add that command in all the .bat files. I have created my "custom" free dos image back to /images/ and remastered my ubcd iso.

But I had to leave at work before I got a chance to test, but I'm sure if I did everything I was suppost to that it will be fine