new member needs assistance

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

kidotaku

new member needs assistance

#1 Post by kidotaku » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:14 am

hi.
short version: my son's ex reformatted son's hard drive (got to love those lover's quarrels) anyway, i contacted Touch on the Bullguard forum (who had helped me 3 years ago) and he recommended convar's pc-inspector to "un-reformat" the hard drive. unfortunately it will not run because goof ex also installed Debian. I contacted Touch again to explain that previous info was incomplete so pc-inspector won't run. He pointed me to UBCD.

This product looks promising, but I do not quite know what to do next.
I downloaded the UBCD to thumb drive but thats where I stopped. I understand that every time We access the re-formatted hard drive we increase the possibility that the data will become irretrievable. So I thought posting here first would be best.

I'm trying to recover the data, primarily my thesis and my pictures. But am totally afraid of damaging it further.

Ideas?

The Piney

#2 Post by The Piney » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:30 am

You can try testdisk, but read the instructions before using...

Constance

#3 Post by Constance » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:47 pm

Can you kill your son's ex ? That won't help with data recovery, but will be good anyway ^^
Sorry but it will certainly be hard to recover anything since installing another system over the original one overwrote things, and most likely the filesystem's allocation info :/
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.