SATA (AHCI) CD-ROM Drives

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

adw888

SATA (AHCI) CD-ROM Drives

#1 Post by adw888 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:24 am

I'm trying to use UBCD 4.1.1 to manage partitions on my PC but I can't get any of the applications to run.
The UBCD main menu loads up fine but no CD-ROM drivers are found; I get something like the screenshots here: http://marktsai0316.googlepages.com/gcdromfordos
But no "Unit 0" line (or similar), and when it finishes the autoexec.bat script there's no drive letter assigned for the CD-ROM.

I've got a Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R motherboard with the ICH9 SATA controller and have AHCI mode enabled in the BIOS.
The CD-ROM drive is a (SATA) LG 18x GSA-H66NBAL.

I found this topic about it: viewtopic.php?t=656
But it's a bit out of date and it seems that GCDROM has since been included in UBCD.

Thanks in advance for any help.

adw888

#3 Post by adw888 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:14 pm

kof94 wrote:The only sata DOS driver I've ever seen is GCDROM so if it doesn't work your kinda stuck.
Thanks for your quick response.
It's a real shame as UBCD looks great.

I also tried Hiren's BootCD but that won't even boot.
UBCD4Win works fine but has no partition tools (by default).
In the end I had to use a boot CD I made a few years ago using Boot Scriptor / CD Shell to load an image of Partition Magic 8; somehow all that old software manages to support my new hardware perfectly. :?

The Piney

#4 Post by The Piney » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:26 pm

UBCD4Win does have the Disk Management utility included, just right click on my computer on the desktop and go to "Manage" or "Disk Management"...

adw888

#5 Post by adw888 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:47 pm

The Piney wrote:UBCD4Win does have the Disk Management utility included, just right click on my computer on the desktop and go to "Manage" or "Disk Management"...
Thanks for the info; I only looked under the Start menu in Partition Tools (where all the MBR stuff was). :oops:

Victor Chew

#7 Post by Victor Chew » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:54 pm

It may be time to consider going back to individual images.
@kof94: Errr, how would that help? If you need to launch a DOS app, you still need a working DOS image that will mount the CDROM drive in question.

Victor Chew

#9 Post by Victor Chew » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:33 pm

Have your app inside the image... no CD-ROM drivers required (just a lot of images)!
OIC... stupid me... I kept focusing on mounting the CD-ROM drive, but in this case the CD-ROM drive doesn't need mounting!

Well, it's unlikely I would choose to go this route due to the tremendous amount of disc space overhead involved, but you never know...

adw888

#10 Post by adw888 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:36 am

kof94 wrote:If your looking for a partitioning tool look no further than Parted Magic. You can download a copy of the LiveCD from here.
Is that the same as GParted?
Because I tried that on the Fedora 8 Live CD and it said it was 'too dangerous' to try any partitioning on my NTFS drives.

But I'll keep it in mind for next time, thanks. :)