It is currently Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: SATA (AHCI) CD-ROM Drives
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:24 am 

I'm trying to use UBCD 4.1.1 to manage partitions on my PC but I can't get any of the applications to run.
The UBCD main menu loads up fine but no CD-ROM drivers are found; I get something like the screenshots here: http://marktsai0316.googlepages.com/gcdromfordos
But no "Unit 0" line (or similar), and when it finishes the autoexec.bat script there's no drive letter assigned for the CD-ROM.

I've got a Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R motherboard with the ICH9 SATA controller and have AHCI mode enabled in the BIOS.
The CD-ROM drive is a (SATA) LG 18x GSA-H66NBAL.

I found this topic about it: viewtopic.php?t=656
But it's a bit out of date and it seems that GCDROM has since been included in UBCD.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:38 am 

@Victor

It may be time to consider going back to individual images.

I know this is pain (and reduces some functionality) but I think new hardware is starting to out pace DOS drivers.

@Victor & adw888

The only sata DOS driver I've ever seen is GCDROM so if it doesn't work your kinda stuck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:14 pm 

kof94 wrote:
The only sata DOS driver I've ever seen is GCDROM so if it doesn't work your kinda stuck.

Thanks for your quick response.
It's a real shame as UBCD looks great.

I also tried Hiren's BootCD but that won't even boot.
UBCD4Win works fine but has no partition tools (by default).
In the end I had to use a boot CD I made a few years ago using Boot Scriptor / CD Shell to load an image of Partition Magic 8; somehow all that old software manages to support my new hardware perfectly. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:26 pm 

UBCD4Win does have the Disk Management utility included, just right click on my computer on the desktop and go to "Manage" or "Disk Management"...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:47 pm 

The Piney wrote:
UBCD4Win does have the Disk Management utility included, just right click on my computer on the desktop and go to "Manage" or "Disk Management"...

Thanks for the info; I only looked under the Start menu in Partition Tools (where all the MBR stuff was). :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:13 pm 

If your looking for a partitioning tool look no further than Parted Magic. You can download a copy of the LiveCD from here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:54 pm 

Quote:
It may be time to consider going back to individual images.

@kof94: Errr, how would that help? If you need to launch a DOS app, you still need a working DOS image that will mount the CDROM drive in question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:10 pm 

Have your app inside the image... no CD-ROM drivers required (just a lot of images)!

I'm basically saying go back to old way of doing things when you first started the project.

It's just a suggestion though and I'm not saying this has to happen but if DOS drivers don't improve in this area in the future then more people will find using the "dosapps" imposable so it might be something to consider.

As always I just like throwing ideas into the mix but you don't have to subscribe to them, it's your project (you have to do all the manual labour) :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:33 pm 

Quote:
Have your app inside the image... no CD-ROM drivers required (just a lot of images)!

OIC... stupid me... I kept focusing on mounting the CD-ROM drive, but in this case the CD-ROM drive doesn't need mounting!

Well, it's unlikely I would choose to go this route due to the tremendous amount of disc space overhead involved, but you never know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:36 am 

kof94 wrote:
If your looking for a partitioning tool look no further than Parted Magic. You can download a copy of the LiveCD from here.

Is that the same as GParted?
Because I tried that on the Fedora 8 Live CD and it said it was 'too dangerous' to try any partitioning on my NTFS drives.

But I'll keep it in mind for next time, thanks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:43 pm 

Quote:
kof94 wrote:

Is that the same as GParted?
Because I tried that on the Fedora 8 Live CD and it said it was 'too dangerous' to try any partitioning on my NTFS drives.

But I'll keep it in mind for next time, thanks. Smile

The Parted Magic LiveCD has been created primarily for partitioning and filesystem manipulation and contains the most up-to-date filesystem tools (GParted dependencies etc).

The next version will contain a rewrite of GParted called VisParted (because the GParted author has gone AWOL) which includes all of the updates to the GParted dependencies i.e. there are less red crosses in the features list.

On the subject of NTFS, like many other distros Parted Magic contains the latest version of ntfs-3g which after a lengthy development period is now classed as stable.

This means that you can resize your NTFS partitions with no more risk than using something like Symantec's Partition Magic.

The only reason I recommend it is because I use it a lot and I haven't borked anyones system yet.

End of testimonial.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]