New UBCD

Discussion/announcements about test/beta releases of UBCD will be posted here.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

bddarnell

New UBCD

#1 Post by bddarnell » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:19 am

Thanks very much for a very handy tool. Are there any plans to release a new version of UBCD anytime soon? There are several tools that I use regularly that have newer versions available so I thought I would ask. Thanks!

Victor Chew

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:16 pm

I am spending all my free time on UBCD V5.0 now, as detailed in this thread.

I hope to get a beta out soon. Keep your fingers crossed! :D

bddarnell

#3 Post by bddarnell » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:51 am

Glad to hear it! Hey you don't need luck when you have skill. :-D

PsiMoon314

#4 Post by PsiMoon314 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:24 am

Hi,

Perhaps rather than using INSERT you might want to look into alternatives such as:

SystemRescueCD (http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page) or even the
Trinity Rescue Kit (http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?w ... ront_id=12)

These are actively maintained and include NTFS support and many other tools which would be valuable for UBCD.

Kind Regards

Simon

freeballer

#5 Post by freeballer » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:03 pm

hope to see the new version out soon, I hate waiting for the new ones... Not trying to bitch, but is annoying to patch the system files and new programs, virus definitions... yeah ok, that does sound like bitching. I know!
Anyways I hope that it comes out soon. I always try to keep one around whenever possible.

I'd like to offer a kind suggestion to ditch the current live linux cd, and use system rescue or even incorperate ubuntu or similar mainstream. The later may cause a bit of bloat in the cd size but the distros mentioned already have some maintenance/rescue programs and a fairly regular release schedule. Although I'm not in your shoes I don't beleive you need to modify these alot to get working.

Victor Chew

#6 Post by Victor Chew » Sun May 04, 2008 5:59 am

Hey you don't need luck when you have skill.
In my case, I need luck to get more free time to work on UBCD. :D

I am currently using Parted Magic for UBCD5, but I will look at SystemRescueCD and Trinity Rescue Kit. Thanks!

Victor Chew

#7 Post by Victor Chew » Tue May 06, 2008 6:07 am

I just looked at SystemRescueCD, and think I will still go with Parted Magic.

First, the size is far too big (190MB vs. 37MB). Plus it seems that fewer features can be accessed from the GUI. At least I can't find a way to mount an NTFS partition from the GUI.

Victor Chew

#8 Post by Victor Chew » Wed May 07, 2008 6:44 am

After looking at the Trinity Rescue Kit, I am still more inclined on keeping Parted Magic.

The really neat bit about the Trinity Rescue Kit is the "Virusscan" script, which wraps 5 different virusscanners. The "updatetrk" script also helps to update the virus signatures automatically, which is a plus.

But other than that, the other apps seems to be available on Parted Magic as well: ntfsundelete, ddrescue, ntfsclone, tesdisk, photorec etc.

In summary, the features/size ratio still points to Parted Magic as the keeper for me.

If only there's a smallish anti-malware liveCD that can be integrated as well, that will be cool.

The Piney

#9 Post by The Piney » Sat May 10, 2008 1:20 pm

After I read that last post I went looking for something that would fit the bill but can't find much in a small package.. I did run across BootZilla and the description sounded promising, but it's just a heavily modified UBCD disk.

I've seen that many of the Linux Distros are now able to be customized. If there are any Linux professionals that are members of the fourm, how about making a customized version with these GUI based tools. I would give it a try but I fear I would fall short on a usable package. I would happily help in testing if anyone would take up the creation process.

The problem I see with creating a Live Distro for Virus/Malware scanning is that the size will grow to a huge size quite quickly if including definitions. I would think that the best way would be to include the scanning engine and downloading the defs prior to scanning, but then you have to worry about internet access. I guess the first order of business would be to determine the acceptable size of the ISO - Trinity Rescue Kit runs about 132MB, and already has some included so I guess that would be a good size to aim for.

Icecube

#10 Post by Icecube » Sun May 11, 2008 3:37 am

Parted magic can be easily customised. You can easily include a program in a 7zip archive. See http://partedmagic.com/wiki/PartedMagic ... dMagic.FAQ.

Victor Chew

#11 Post by Victor Chew » Wed May 14, 2008 5:39 am

@Icecube: Thanks for the info! I will put this on my todo list.