Add EASEUS Partition Manager

Discussion/announcements about test/beta releases of UBCD will be posted here.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Icecube

#1 Post by Icecube » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:22 am

Free Partition tool: EASEUS Partition Manager Home Edition: http://www.partition-tool.com.

See the original post from Lydia Wee:
viewtopic.php?t=1508

You can make a bootable floppy with it (uses freedos with himem). Use Virtual Floppy Driver to write the floppy image to a file. I don't see the floppy image directly in the installation folder.

You can also extract the boot sector out of the iso image. The image isn't directly bootable in a virtual machine. (1,2MB image)
For linux:
Use ISO master to extract the boot sector and save it as epm-ori.img
Download fd001440.zip from http://bootcd.narod.ru/images.htm and extract it. Rename the extracted image to epm.img
As root or sudo user:

Code: Select all

mkdir /tmp/epm /tmp/epmori
mount -o loop epm-ori.img /tmp/epmori
mount -o loop epm.img /tmp/epm
cp -R /tmp/epmori/* /tmp/epm
umount epm-ori.img
umount epm.img
When you compress the image with gzip, it is 552.3kb in size.

Contents of the floppy image:

Code: Select all

autoexec.bat
config.sys
himem.exe
license.txt
sdisk.exe
sdisk.ini
command.com
ctmouse.exe
kernel.sys
sdisk.bin
sdisk.hlp
sdisk.key
@as702: can it be added to the dosapps folder? I didn't test if it works with another memory manager.

as702

Re: Add EASEUS Partition Manager

#2 Post by as702 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:22 am

Icecube wrote:@as702: can it be added to the dosapps folder? I didn't test if it works with another memory manager.
I'll check it out shortly.

as702

#3 Post by as702 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:31 am

Looks good. Reminds me of a poor-man's Partition Magic. Is it any good?

Icecube

#4 Post by Icecube » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:50 am

I don't know, but it should (hopefully) be better than Partition Magic 8.0 (doesn't support Vista's NTFS and it is too old). Partition Magic 8.0 also contain bugs. Sometimes it wanted to correct the partition table, but linux doesn't like that change. This was 5 years ago, when I had this problem. All my data disappeared. I was glad that I could repair it with linux. It was the last time that I used Partition Magic :lol: . So if you like Partition Magic interface, I suggest to use EASEUS Partition Manager, but it can be that it is even buggier.

But I think GParted is the best partition manager at the moment (supports Windows filesystem and linux filesystems). The only thing that GParted can't do for the moment and probably never will do, is converting a partition from 1 filesystem to another (e.g. from fat23 to ntfs or nfts to fat32). If I remember well, Partition Magic can/could do that.

as702

#5 Post by as702 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:05 am

Icecube wrote:I don't know, but it should (hopefully) be better than Partition Magic 8.0
...and free too. We should really have a sticky to allow people to nominate and/or suggest programs they'd like to see included in the final release; keep it all consolidated in one post and such (more manageable that way).
Icecube wrote:But I think GParted is the best partition manager at the moment...
http://www.dfsee.com/

I have no clue if this compares favourably to GParted. Admittedly, it's a bit daunting for beginners but it does have the added benefit of allowing users to turn beavers into solid gold.**

**probably not

Icecube

#6 Post by Icecube » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:12 am

...and free too. We should really have a sticky to allow people to nominate and/or suggest programs they'd like to see included in the final release; keep it all consolidated in one post and such (more manageable that way)
This would be a good idea. Victor should make a subforum in UBCD V5 and add a sticky topic at UBCD V4 Requests & Suggestions to redirect the users too the UBCD V5 forum.
Latest DFSee complete ZIP archive using '9xx' filename or '910' filename (6 Mb ZIP, all 5 platforms)
This is the complete standard package that includes all binary versions for OS2/eCS, DOS, Windows-NT/2000/XP, Linux and Mac plus some very useful scripts and the ASCII documentation and examples in DFS*.TXT and *.PDF
Note that after a short evaluation period you are required to register and pay for the program. Unregistered versions remind you of this at startup and termination of the program and it is not possible to use batch-mode for unattended operation. Otherwise the program is fully functional.
It looks promising, but it probably won't work for NTFS partitions made by windows vista.

BTW, GParted is on Parted Magic.

as702

#7 Post by as702 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:19 am

Icecube wrote:It looks promising, but it probably won't work for NTFS partitions made by windows vista.
Works fine for Vista under VM.
Icecube wrote:BTW, GParted is on Parted Magic.
That would be fine if I could ever get the thing to work (I kid). The only concern I have with Parted Magic is the memory requirements it imposes on the user (I remember you mentioning to set the VM environment to >256Mb). I'm not sure if the same applies to real systems, but I'm sure there still exist(?) computers with less than the said memory Parted Magic demands.

It's just a thought though.

(-:

Icecube

#8 Post by Icecube » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:29 am

That would be fine if I could ever get the thing to work (I kid). The only concern I have with Parted Magic is the memory requirements it imposes on the user (I remember you mentioning to set the VM environment to >256Mb). I'm not sure if the same applies to real systems, but I'm sure there still exist(?) computers with less than the said memory Parted Magic demands.
On real systems it requires the same amount of memory :cry: . I have asked Victor if he find this to much. He don't see a problem in it. For users with less RAM in there PC, they can use System Rescue or another small distribution (Puppy linux, (128MB needed, has GParted), Damn Small Linux (need at least 16 MB :lol: )). There is also a miniParted Magic (not tested yet) which has only a CLI interface which doesn't need so much RAM. The problem with Parted Magic is that it unpacks all 7z archives to a RAM drive (count the filesize of the 7zip files and multiply it by 3). Because we add some antivirus software with large definition files (more than 20 MB per antivirus program), the RAM requirements will be even bigger.

A topic about how much RAM most users have in there PC, can be a good thing. The problem will probably be, that the users always complain afterwards (when UBCD5 final will be out).

as702

#9 Post by as702 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:31 am

Icecube wrote:On real systems it requires the same amount of memory :cry: . I have asked Victor if he find this to much. He don't see a problem in it.
...it does look pretty though q-:
Icecube wrote:Damn Small Linux (need at least 16 MB)
I'd tend to lean more towards this distribution...
Icecube wrote:Because we add some antivirus software with large definition files (more than 20 MB per antivirus program), the RAM requirements will be even bigger.
Could you not just leave the definitions unpacked, thus, accessible from the cd-rom itself?? That would lessen considerably the amount of ram required.

Icecube

#10 Post by Icecube » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:05 am

as702 wrote:
Icecube wrote:Because we add some antivirus software with large definition files (more than 20 MB per antivirus program), the RAM requirements will be even bigger.
Could you not just leave the definitions unpacked, thus, accessible from the cd-rom itself?? That would lessen considerably the amount of ram required.
I already have thought about it. Or only unpack it if the user runs the antivirus program (so not unpacking the other antivirus program).

Victor Chew

#11 Post by Victor Chew » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:08 pm

Reminds me of a poor-man's Partition Magic. Is it any good?
Doesn't seem to support resize/move of partitions though, does it? So it does pretty much what most standard partition managers do (create, hide/unhide, delete etc.) Anyway, I will be adding it to 5.0B5 if there are no objections. It does not run under VMWare though. Complains that BIOS INT13 extensions not available. But it does work under VPC and on my notebook.
We should really have a sticky to allow people to nominate and/or suggest programs they'd like to see included in the final release; keep it all consolidated in one post and such (more manageable that way).
I feel it's better if ppl create a new topic if they want a program added, then we can all chime in on that particular program and decide whether it's worth adding or not. Having it all under one post is too messy for that kind of discussion!

Anyway, we really should release UBCD V5.0 soon, so I am hoping to keep new additions to a minimum. Can't keep it in beta forever you know. :)
Latest DFSee complete ZIP archive using '9xx' filename or '910' filename (6 Mb ZIP, all 5 platforms)
This is the complete standard package that includes all binary versions for OS2/eCS, DOS, Windows-NT/2000/XP, Linux and Mac plus some very useful scripts and the ASCII documentation and examples in DFS*.TXT and *.PDF
Note that after a short evaluation period you are required to register and pay for the program. Unregistered versions remind you of this at startup and termination of the program and it is not possible to use batch-mode for unattended operation. Otherwise the program is fully functional.
Although it is fully functional without registration, the author has made it quite clear that it is payware, so you can't continue to use it in good faith if you don't pay for it. So don't see how we can include it in UBCD.

Icecube

#12 Post by Icecube » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:14 am

Victor Chew wrote:Anyway, we really should release UBCD V5.0 soon, so I am hoping to keep new additions to a minimum. Can't keep it in beta forever you know. :)
I think you should wait a little bit longer with UBCD V5.0 final. UBCD 5 isn't ready yet. It will be disappointing that there are a lot of things that doesn't work yet. Especially, because the time span between the release of UBCD411 and UBCD500 is more than a year. It is better to release a next beta than a final version that contains a lot of bugs, because that "final" release would be a beta in fact. You only will give it the name of a stable release. People who want a newer version should use the last beta untill the following problems are resolved.

There is a problem with the kernel of Parted Magic (usb stick recognition). It is solved, but Patrick has to recompile the kernel.
http://partedmagic.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=196

I need to fix the keyboard problem (wireless bluetooth and usb keyboard probably affected) with the cpustress image. Therefore I need to study how the dynamic generation of devices in /dev happens (now only devices that I am aware of, can get detected). See the cpustress image topic for details.

Deadlite is helping me with figuring out all files that are needed for clamtk (GUI for clamav) to work.

Parted Magic 3.0 is also different from V2.2. It doesn't have xterm, which is needed for xfprot to work. I think that I have a workaround, but I need to do some testing.

The next 2 weeks I don't have time to work on it.

as702 needs to know how the directory structure of /ubcd/dosapps will be.
See: viewtopic.php?t=1521

as702

#13 Post by as702 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:15 pm

I think you should wait a little bit longer with UBCD V5.0 final
This. There's plenty more work be done, I agree (NwDsk R1.31 is already in alpha with LOTS of new additions and _major_ improvements).

Victor Chew

#14 Post by Victor Chew » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:38 pm

@IceCube + as702:

OK, I get the message.

I will try to get 5.0b5 out the door first, warts and all. There has been too many major changes since 5.0b4, I think we need another beta release soon to serve as a new reference point for all of us.