Boot Error workaround: Smart Boot Manager floppy

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

jayseye

Boot Error workaround: Smart Boot Manager floppy

#1 Post by jayseye » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:45 pm

Booting from a Smart Boot Manager floppy, I've been able to work around Boot Error failures with UBCD 3.3. This might apply to people experiencing 808xxxxx (or other) errors, described in several threads on this forum.

Until / unless this problem is solved for Ultimate Boot CD, it's quick and painless to download what's needed to create a Smart Boot Manager floppy:

http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/download.html

My boot failure is due to an old BIOS, which -can- boot from MS-DOS-bootable CDs, because those CDs emulate a floppy disk. My BIOS fails to boot from from ISOLINUX (syslinux) or from CD Shell, as both of these boot loaders lack floppy-emulation mode.

hakre

#2 Post by hakre » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:41 pm

First of all, thanks for the tip. Looks like a nifty thingy.

A little story: In my case I could boot from the btmgr floppy then but pressing ENTER to boot from CD-ROM afterwards gave me the 0xAA error code. Imgburn showed the iso as bootable so I was wondering what went wrong: I did not burn the ISO, it just was in testmode therefore the cd was still vanilla. I know it's pretty stupid, but since the error code was not that well documented, I thought I better write a note down here.