function keys and other keys for menu

Post your suggestions here if there are new features or applications that you would like added to the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

domesdos

#1 Post by domesdos » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:52 pm

Hello,

I tried the ultimate boot cd for checking a barebone which has no ps/2-keyboard-port. It just has an infrared keyboard with function keys, that don't work with the menu of the ubcd.
It would be useful to have either a cursor key controlled menu, or to have additional keys for the menu selection, perhaps [f1|a], [f2,b] etc ... so that you can access a certain menu point with a function key (like f1) or an alphanumeric key (like a).

Many greeetings,
Dom

Victor Chew

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:17 pm

There could be a BIOS setting that enables legacy keyboard emulation or
something to that effect.

I suspect it's not just the function keys. The entire keyboard may not
be detected at all.

unZIP

#3 Post by unZIP » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:45 am

I'd like to reactivate this request. I've found the issue with function keys during the remote work via SOL+IDE-R mode with vPro PCs (new Intel technology for remote recovery of business PCs - very usefull). I was using iAMT Commander (see http://www.intel.com/software/manageability under Intel® Active Management Technology (Intel® AMT) Developer Tool Kit (DTK), direct link http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/arti ... g/1034.htm)

Unfortunately the function keys in the first menu don't work via remote. After you choose any option - then second level menus work without a problem. Is it possible to add alternate keys to the first level menu choice? (like a,b,c etc.) or to change the function keys into normal keys (maybe 1,2,3...)?

It looks like this vPro technology starts becoming very popular, and UltimateBootCD can be the tool of choice :)

Regards,
PM

Scott Cooper

#4 Post by Scott Cooper » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:18 pm

You can edit the file menu.scn to change F1 to A (etc) as you suggest, or even change it so both F1 and A do the same action.

unZIP

#5 Post by unZIP » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:42 am

I've done it already for myself, but I think that there will be plenty of resellers who would be more than happy to download and use it with vPro. Unfortunately majority of them won't have time/knowledge to mod the iso version. So I propose to include it in the version available for download on the web.

Regards,
PM

Victor Chew

#6 Post by Victor Chew » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:53 am

UBCD V4.0 (try beta 1) will no longer use function keys. Instead it will use arrow keys.