Windows shut down - WinXP dual boot Pclinuxos 2007

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

mcgillraNZ

Windows shut down - WinXP dual boot Pclinuxos 2007

#1 Post by mcgillraNZ » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:20 am

Dual boot WinXP and Pclos 2007 on Athlon AMD 2000 Desktop.

I have been dual booting successfully for several years on this PC. A couple of days ago I was booted into Windows but not actively using it (tidying some papers). Suddenly I heard a slight nosie, perhaps the monitor flickering as it shuts down, and windows shut down. The original message was full screen on a blue background. It told me windows had shut down to protect itself, and that there may be a problem with new hardware not being properly installed. It said if this is the first time for the message to press a key to proceed. This I did and that took me a black screen with the following:
"Novell Netware Ready Firmware V1
Analyzing Network Media Type, this may take several seconds.
VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter v 4.11 (9/4/2002
RPL:ROM-ADR:000D 8786 2BAD
RPL-ROM-IRQ: 11
RPL-ROM-PIO: D800

RPL-ROM-FFC: 27 (kept counting up in ?seconds)

Message may not be entirely exact. If I reboot this message is repeated over and over.

The only hardware I have attached is a USB keyboard which I haven't been using as it doesn't detect the GRUB menu to select which OS.

Since then I have been able to load two live Linux (pclinuxos 2007 and knoppix 5.1). Both run okay, and I can set up and use the NIC and access the internet.

It's been suggested this might be a MBR problem and to use Ultimate boot disk to solve it, but I am a computer novice really, and rather nervous about it. I am not concerned about the Linux partition as run a separate Linux machine for day to day use now. Would like my windows stuff though, as although it is backed up a lot of work to reinstall etc.

Any help greatly appreciated.

StopSpazzing

#2 Post by StopSpazzing » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:30 pm

First have you done a chkdsk /f on the windows partition if no...then do that now. Using the windows xp cd goto recovery console and use that command. Should be a chkdsk utility in UBCD if i can recall...

Second, boot off the XP cd you used to install XP. Choose to do a repair. When it is finished you should be up and running with XP again. BUT, doing this WILL overwrite the MBR so you can no longer boot into linux. PClos uses lilo, I believe..and I only know off top of my head how to reinstall grub. But either way most likely you will have to pop in the pclos cd and reinstall the bootloader, lilo, so you can dualboot again. Would recommend you google how to reinstall lilo for pclos or check their forums.

I currently tri-boot XP - xubuntu - Vista. I have had to many times reinstall grub so its second nature to me.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

mcgillraNZ

#3 Post by mcgillraNZ » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:05 pm

Thanks for your response, unfortunately the problem turned out to be a hard drive failure, and nothing was recoverable :( Any way I picked up a cheap windows machine at an on-line auction, and now have two spare new drives for playing with Linux. Thanks again.

StopSpazzing

#4 Post by StopSpazzing » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:24 pm

mcgillraNZ wrote:Thanks for your response, unfortunately the problem turned out to be a hard drive failure, and nothing was recoverable :( Any way I picked up a cheap windows machine at an on-line auction, and now have two spare new drives for playing with Linux. Thanks again.
Well good luck...and highly recommend you get an external HD to backup all important files so you wont lose anything. :)
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.