UBCD 3.3 will not boot

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Aalex

UBCD 3.3 will not boot

#1 Post by Aalex » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:12 am

Greetings All,

Have downloaded both versions (ubcd33-basic.exe, ubcd33-full.exe) and unzipped both images (iso's). Burnt both versions as per directions with Nero. Neither would work on Laptop (Dell Cpx) or two different PC's (xp2500, xp2800).

Thought the burning program may be the issue so I burnt the basic iso again using BURNCDCC. Once again nothing worked.

The two desktops seem to ignore the CD although they are set to look at the CD first when booting. The laptop comes up with 'error booting from CD/DVD drive' and displays a little bar at the bottom with about 20% filled and the number '808002F9' at the end.

Considered checking the Checksums but do not know how to do this.
Any help much appreciated.

CleaverX

re CD NOT BOOTING

#2 Post by CleaverX » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:58 am

Howdy, I am no expert, but the first thing to do in these cases, is to make sure that your image is indeed 'bootable'. This can easily be done with programs such as UltraIso, or WinIso, etc.
If the image is bootable, then you may want to go into the bios on your pc's and see if they are set on quick boot. If that is the case, disable it.
(Some pc's will boot faster than they can read the drive).
If this is not the case still, you may want to re-burn your disks at a lower speed..some more experienced forums members swear that has helped lots of time. That and better media...
These are by no means all that could be wrong, but I feel are some good starting point that are easy enough to check.
Also I just thought of a good question for the forum, so be sure and read my next message.

CleaverX

Aalex

#3 Post by Aalex » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:11 am

Well, 2 of the three problems are now fixed. The xp2500 and xp2800 not booting was my fault. Someone had changed the BIOS settings without telling me.

Both the UBCD Full and the UBCD Basic boot fine on both xp2500 and xp2800 but the CD's both dislike the laptop, which is the one I really wanted to use it on. Hmmm...

Victor Chew

#4 Post by Victor Chew » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:04 pm

Do your laptops have any floppy drive?

Someone suggested using Smart Boot Manager to boot the CD:

viewtopic.php?t=164

This looks more and more like a problem with CDShell V2.0.16 (which UBCD V3.3 is based on), but there has been no resolution so far.

Aalex

#5 Post by Aalex » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:58 am

Yes, the laptop has a floppy drive. Had a look at link you posted and it seems to make sense. The laptop is certinly quite old (running a p3-500) so most of what the post says makes a lot of sense. Will do as the post suggests and post again when I have tried it. Many thanks! :D

Aalex

#6 Post by Aalex » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:24 am

Tried smart boot manager using the floppy and it did not work either. Smart Boot Manager comes up fine. When I select the CD from the menu the same error comes up :(