oops I broke my hard drive (with MBRWizard)

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

deaddisk

oops I broke my hard drive (with MBRWizard)

#1 Post by deaddisk » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:09 am

Not a problem with UBCD, I downloaded, it created my boot cd and all is well. However the reason I downloaded it was to try to fix a non booting XP system.

This XP system would not boot, it got as far as searching for a boot sector in the hard drive and printed the message YoYo on the screen. The boot process halted. I took out the hard disk and was able to access all the files on there when I connected it to another computer via USB.

After I backed up all the user files I could find, I placed the hard disk back in the original computer and booted with UBCD. I then looked through the tools for something that would fix the Master boot record. I found MBRWizard and used it to delete the MBR and then restore it. Unfortunately I did not make a back up of the MBR.

Now when I try to boot from the hard drive I receive the BOOT DISK FAILURE -INSERT SYSTEM DISK message.
When I run the XP repair console it can't see the disk. In addition when I connect it to my other computer, as I did earlier to backup the files, it can't see the disk.

Any help would be appreciated

Icecube

#2 Post by Icecube » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:54 pm

Use testdisk (included in ubcd).

See: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk for more information.

deaddisk

#3 Post by deaddisk » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:03 pm

Icecube wrote:Use testdisk (included in ubcd).

See: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk for more information.
Thanks Icecube,
I already went for the clean install of XP though.. I was relieved that the XP CD could see the hard disk whereas the repair program could not (same disk)
currently downloading endless updates from Microsoft