Boot Trinity Rescue Kit from UBCD

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Albantar

Boot Trinity Rescue Kit from UBCD

#1 Post by Albantar » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:39 am

Hi everybody, another question from a new and enthousiastic UBCD user :)

I loaded UBCD onto a memory stick and wanted to add the Trinity Rescue Disc of which I'm also a fervent user. I opened the ISO in UltraISO and saved it as IMG, then GZipped it using PeaZip and renamed it to trk.igz. I then added it to bootdsk2.cfg like so:

LABEL trk
MENU LABEL Trinity Rescue Kit V3.2
KERNEL memdisk
APPEND initrd=/images/trk.igz

When loading it from UBCD, it will extract the image, so far so good, but then hangs while booting...

What I found strange is that UltraISO didn't only save a trk.img file but also a trk.ccd file and a trk.sub file. In my ignorance I must be doing it wrong... Could anybody point me to a clue?

Icecube

#2 Post by Icecube » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:58 am

Albantar wrote:I loaded UBCD onto a memory stick and wanted to add the Trinity Rescue Disc of which I'm also a fervent user. I opened the ISO in UltraISO and saved it as IMG, then GZipped it using PeaZip and renamed it to trk.igz. I then added it to bootdsk2.cfg like so:
This method doesn't work for most linux based iso's. This works only if it needs a kernel and an initrd, without any other other files.

I wrote a tutorial for you (Trinity Rescue Kit V3.3). I don't think that it will differ much from the v3.2 (I don't think so).
viewtopic.php?p=6004#6004

Albantar

#3 Post by Albantar » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:06 am

First of all, thank you very much for that tutorial, it is very clear.

However (there's always a catch, isn't there?) when I did all that and then tried to boot from my boot stick, all I got was the blue menu screen (though smaller than usual, taking up about half the screen) with half a line of ASCII hieroglyphs, and a red text "Press [Tab] to edit options" at the bottom, and it hangs.

Icecube

#4 Post by Icecube » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:23 am

You have to rerun the ubcd2usb script.

You also can run syslinux.exe instead:
  • Go to Start ==> Run as... ==> cmd.exe
    Drag and drop syslinux.exe from c:\syslinux\win32\ to the cmd window
    Complete the command with the following (change x: with the drive letter of your usb stick, be careful!) :

Code: Select all

syslinux -ma -d syslinux x:

Albantar

#5 Post by Albantar » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:16 am

Ah yes, that does the trick. The bottom of the menu is missing but that's just aesthetic.

Thank you so much for your helpfulness.

Albantar

#6 Post by Albantar » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:13 am

An important note to other people who would like to run TRK from UBCD: it doesn't work with TRK 3.2...

It will start to boot but then it can't locate the RAM disk image on the USB drive and fail.

So I downloaded TRK 3.3 beta and gave that a shot. The same thing seemed to happen, but instead of failing after not having found the RAM disk image, it asked to enter manually on which device TRK can be found. I entered sda1 and off it went.

I believe this issue is already known to the TRK crew and is common to all people who want to boot TRK from a USB stick, but I'll just double-check and submit a bug report if necessary.

Albantar

#7 Post by Albantar » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:09 am

Another note to people who would like to use TRK from UBCD:

the problem described by me is indeed known. For TRK3.2 the solution is to rename your USB stick to TRK_3-2.

For TRK3.3 you can either rename it to TRK_3-3, or use a new feature available in TRK3.3: add the option vollabel=YOURLABEL to all the boot options lines in TRK's isolinux.cfg

http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?w ... ront_id=12

Icecube

#8 Post by Icecube » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:16 am

I have updated my tutorial. I was to lazy to test it myself :wink: .

Albantar

#9 Post by Albantar » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:49 pm

Icecube wrote:I have updated my tutorial. I was to lazy to test it myself :wink: .
I see you didn't test it, because it won't work like that ;)

The vollabel option needs to be in the "append" line.

:1,$s/initrd=/vollabel=UBCD410 initrd=/

;)

Icecube

#10 Post by Icecube » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:04 am

It was on the same line when I made it. but the forum software did mess up the output. I have added that to the tutorial, that it has to be on the same line.

Thanks for reporting.
:1,$s/initrd=/vollabel=UBCD410 initrd=/
I don't get this. What do you mean with it?