How to install ubcd5 to usb

Discussion/announcements about test/beta releases of UBCD will be posted here.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

dwaun

How to install ubcd5 to usb

#1 Post by dwaun » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:17 pm

Hello everyone,
Problem:
I couldn’t install UBCD 4.1 to a flashdrive, so I downloaded UBCD5 beta from the UBCD homepage as suggested by some post within this forum. However, I can’t install it to a flashdrive either.
>
Can someone please provide step-by step instructions for installing UBCD5 to a flashdrive?
>
My background
I am far from being an IT. Having played with Linux, installing UBCD5 to flash drive strikes me as being something that is easy to do if one knows how to do it; however, it appears to be difficult to do if one can only learn how to do it from just reading current forums post or Googling.
I am quite comfortable with dualbooting in linux; partitioning, making & mounting directories in linux; terminals & command line. However, I lack an IT background, so yes, UBCD5 does have examples for installing UBCD5 to a flashdrive. Unfortunately, these examples are too inadequate & too Spartan to be useful, so too is a page full of code as exemplified by other forum post. Google is useless.
>
I would greatly appreciate step-by-step help in installing UBCD5 to a flashdrive.
Thanks very much

jb2590

how to boot ubcd from usb

#2 Post by jb2590 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:58 am

in windows

1. Download the HP-USB Format tool and format your flash drive using the Fat or Fat32 option. This program can be used to format USB devices that won't boot properly when formatted with MS windows format tool.

http://h50178.www5.hp.com/local_drivers ... P27608.exe

2. Extract all the contents of the ubcd image to your "flash drive." Keep the directory architecture

3. download http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gparte ... rror=voxel
which is another partition software package and extract the utils folder to the usb flash drive navigate through the utils folder then win32

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
WARNING!: ***DO NOT RUN*** makeboot.bat from your local hard drive! It should only be run from your USB flash drive. Executing it incorrectly could cause your MS windows not to boot!!!

4. Browse to your "flash drive" and click the makeboot.bat. WARNING! Makeboot.bat must be run from your USB flash drive. Executing it incorrectly could cause your MS windows not to boot.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

viola it boots

Icecube

#3 Post by Icecube » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:26 am

@ dwaun
Download UBCD50b12.

It contains instructions, which I wrote, for formatting and putting UBCD on your USB thumb drive, while using linux.
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/

webduck

#4 Post by webduck » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:23 pm

hi
made a nice little batch file to make a Pendrive image.
this could be left on a UBCD disk and ran.
(unless you guys can do better :?: )

Code: Select all

echo off
cls
echo.
echo Make bootable UBCD Pendrive
echo -------------------------
echo.

set /P c=type Y to continue: 
if /I "%c%" EQU "Y" goto :continue
if /I "%c%" NEQ "Y" goto :end

:continue
md c:\UBCD
cls
echo.
echo 1/3 - Copy files to drive C:\UBCD\
echo.
pause

xcopy /e /y *.* c:\UBCD

:choice
cls
echo.
set /p USB= 2/3 - Enter Pendrive letter: 
if /I "%USB%" EQU "D" goto :writeUSB
if /I "%USB%" EQU "E" goto :writeUSB
if /I "%USB%" EQU "F" goto :writeUSB
if /I "%USB%" EQU "G" goto :writeUSB
if /I "%USB%" EQU "H" goto :writeUSB
if /I "%USB%" EQU "I" goto :writeUSB
if /I "%USB%" EQU "J" goto :writeUSB
if /I "%USB%" EQU "K" goto :writeUSB
goto :choice

:writeUSB
c:
cd\
cd UBCD
cd UBCD\tools\ubcd2usb
UBCD2USB c:\UBCD %USB%: -y

cls
echo.
echo 3/3 - All done remove Pendrive
echo.
pause

:end
Last edited by webduck on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwaun

Too ALL who posted March 10, 2009:

#5 Post by dwaun » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:21 pm

Thanks very much for the responses.
I will not have time to implement them today, this week for that matter.
However, I look forward to attempting these suggestiions. I anticipate sharing the results of theses attempts within 7-10 days.
Again, thanks for the responses.

procyon

#6 Post by procyon » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:51 am

Icecube wrote:@ dwaun
Download UBCD50b12.

It contains instructions, which I wrote, for formatting and putting UBCD on your USB thumb drive, while using linux.
do the same, there's also a win32 folder on the tools directory. you simply copy the content on the UBCD50b12 disk onto your hard drive and run the .cmd inside the ubcd2usb folder with the disk path and the usbpen path, something like:

(assuming you copied all the cd contents to 'C:\UBCD' ...)

- open a cmdline and chang directories till you're inside the win32\ubcd1usb folder; "cd C:\UBCD\ubcd\tools\win32\ubcd2usb"
- execute:
ubcd2usb C:\UBCD E:

help: ubcd2usb 'UBCD_DISK_CONTENTS_PATH' 'USBPENS_PATH'
assuming you have the UBCD50b12 disk contents on your C: drive on the folder UBCD and your usb pen with 'E:' as drive letter, it should work out with no problems.

scalci

#7 Post by scalci » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:25 pm

I have downloaded the latedt beta 512 I think, when I make the USB boot drive, it works fine, but when I boot a pc with it, it boots, then I get a password prompt? can anyone help?

scalci

#8 Post by scalci » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:27 am

Nope I tried this again. I used the HP-USB tool to format my USB device

When I boot it from the USB drive, it does not even bring the menu up, when I press enter, it ask me fpr a password...

Floydian

#9 Post by Floydian » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:03 pm

Not sure if it'll help, but I just did this today and it seemed to work in the limited testing I got in. I was using Win7 64bit to create the drive.

First I formatted the USB to FAT32 using nothing but Windows.
Then I extracted the ubcd50b12.iso to a folder using 7Zip.
Then, since this was Windows, I went to a command prompt and made my way to the UBCD folder I extracted to. In there I found '\ubcd\tools\win32\ubcd2usb', and ran the 'ubcd2usb.cmd' file, which went through moving a ton of stuff to my USB (if I remember correctly).

All I had time for at the time was a quick check in QEMU (emulator), which brought up the UBCD menu system, including Parted Magic 3.7. Tomorrow morning I hope to give it a full test, including some updates and maybe adding some extra images.

scalci

#10 Post by scalci » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:16 pm

cool will try this now. thx

Floydian

#11 Post by Floydian » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:25 am

Ok, I just verified this, it booted, and everything I tried from the boot menu worked.

FYI, what I did was found that ubcd2usb.cmd file and ran it. That opened a command prompt window in that directory, with a list of instructions to copy to USB. One was a very direct 'D: to E:' style if it was from CD-USB (not what I had). The other was a bit longer, requiring the full path of the starting file to copy to the destination drive. That's the one that worked for me with the extracted files on my HD.