nwdsk: 'net use' and redirection?

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Locked
Message
Author
junksmi
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:02 am

nwdsk: 'net use' and redirection?

#1 Post by junksmi » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:13 am

Hi all,

First, sorry if this is the wrong forum. I am booting nwdsk (http://www.veder.com/ftp/nwdsk/fd32e.img) from LAN (through gPXE/tftpd) and it boots fine - gets IP adresses assigned etc.

However, then I try to connect to a Windows share the usual "dos" way:

Code: Select all

net use x: \\myserver\share
However, what I get back is:
Bad command or filename - "net"
Then I try to read the help - half of it buzzes through the screen; so I try something like help /p, and I get "Bad command or filename - p.hlp".. Heck, I think then I'll pipe the help output to a file, like

Code: Select all

help >myhelp.txt 
All of the text still flies on the screen - and a file myhelp.txt does get created, but it is 0 bytes in size...

When I use these commands from MSDOS (like Barts floppy with network support) they work without a problem...

So I guess my questions are:
- How do you map a network drive (Windows share) in nwdsk / FreeDos?
- How can I get a redirection of the help command in a text file, so I can read it later?

Thanks heaps..

Cheers!!!
Last edited by junksmi on Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Icecube
Posts: 1278
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:52 pm
Contact:

#2 Post by Icecube » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:14 am

However, what I get back is:

Code: Select all

Bad command or filename - "net"
AFAIK, it means that the net command isn't available on the freedos image. You can add it yourself (e.g. use the one from Bart's floppy).
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/

junksmi
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:02 am

#3 Post by junksmi » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:03 am

Hi Icecube,

Thanks for your answer !!
Icecube wrote:AFAIK, it means that the net command isn't available on the freedos image. You can add it yourself (e.g. use the one from Bart's floppy).
The thing is, I am looking for a "free" network DOS disk - and I imagine, the FreeDOS one is cleared, whereas the net command from Bart's floppy, would be the licensed MS one? Is there a free way to mount / map a Windows network share as a drive under FreeDOS? Maybe smbmount or such?

Thanks again,
Cheers!

EDIT: just found a thread discussing this:
Re: (Freedos-user) Networking Freedos wrote: http://www.mail-archive.com/freedos-use ... 06621.html
------------------------
Wishlist (it's nearly christmas, OK?) ... Or better: Let there be a free external TSR TCP/IP kernel (stack) that communicates directly to the NDIS driver, so everything else could use this kernel. And, of course, a free DOS smbclient.

http://www.mail-archive.com/freedos-use ... 06631.html
------------------------
> Here I disagree. MS-Client is free software, even if not GPL or
> distributable. But it can be used along with free software: include a
> small batch-or-script that 1) downloads the original files with wget, 2)
> extract what is neeed, 3) once there, anyone can "intenaly distribute"
> his copies. This is legaly within the licence limits.

Yes, sorry, I meant free as in FSF not as in free beer. I also think
the above would be perfectly legal. It would be a good idea anyway if
the user sees the license before he downloads MS software, at least
when FreeDOS is involved (which he could assume to be free as in FSF).
This is from 2007, so I guess there is no such thing as free networking for DOS ...

Victor Chew
Posts: 1359
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:59 pm
Contact:

#4 Post by Victor Chew » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:56 pm

The thing is, I am looking for a "free" network DOS disk - and I imagine, the FreeDOS one is cleared, whereas the net command from Bart's floppy, would be the licensed MS one? Is there a free way to mount / map a Windows network share as a drive under FreeDOS? Maybe smbmount or such?
Try this:

http://www.veder.com/nwdsk/

The author has stopped updating for awhile, but it should still work.

Locked