Help with System Error on Bootup

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

CarlyLab

Help with System Error on Bootup

#1 Post by CarlyLab » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:31 am

Hi, can anyone help please?

I'm trying to sort a friends Laptop out; it comes up with

.. following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I have now got a cd with the UBCD on it (and the laptop boots up with it OK), but which of the utlities/options can i use to sort this problem...

Cheers
:D

StopSpazzing

Re: Help with System Error on Bootup

#2 Post by StopSpazzing » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:03 pm

CarlyLab wrote:Hi, can anyone help please?

I'm trying to sort a friends Laptop out; it comes up with

.. following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I have now got a cd with the UBCD on it (and the laptop boots up with it OK), but which of the utlities/options can i use to sort this problem...

Cheers
:D
The registry is corrupted, happens once in a while. Im assuming this is windows XP.

2 options... Since its a laptop, These options will NOT work for you unless you know for a fact that the OS he was running was installed by him or someone other than by manufacturer (preinstalled before recieving the laptop). I recommend step 1, and only use step 2 as a last resort...even tho it is a heck of a lot easier.

You could "">>attempt<<"" doing number 2 on an OEM preinstalled system, BUT make sure you use the exact same SP number that was preinstalled...But Im not even sure if it will work at all...or if it does may make the computer a non-genuine copy..who knows. You have been warned...Dont want any fallback to me...as I have never tried it and cant say if it will work for you or not. YOU are responsible for your actions. I would try it..but thats just me. You probably will lose installed programs and/or would make windows non genuine...so you would have to reactivate it..no biggy really just call up ms and give them the serial on the bottom of the laptop. But again...its a gamble that I have never done before so you are on your own when it comes to what you want to try.

1. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

2. Put in the windows disc and boot like you were going to install windows xp. On the same screen as the format HD screen, after the press enter to continue first screen, will have an option to REPAIR the windows copy. You will have to press the letter "R" to activate this option. What it will do is basically backup and fix the registry and repair your windows, but at the cost of losing windows updates...so you will have to reinstall any new updates that were installed. You will not lose any installed programs or data that your friend has added to the computer. Only windows updates will be affected.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

CarlyLab

#3 Post by CarlyLab » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:14 pm

Thanks for your comprehensive reply, very much appreciated.

The operating system was pre-installed; however we dont have the Windows startup/recovery disk for it?
So can i use any of the UBCD utilities to fix the registry?

StopSpazzing

#4 Post by StopSpazzing » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:36 pm

CarlyLab wrote:Thanks for your comprehensive reply, very much appreciated.

The operating system was pre-installed; however we dont have the Windows startup/recovery disk for it?
So can i use any of the UBCD utilities to fix the registry?
You maybe able to use the registry program to load the hives and see if it could fix it..but I dont think It will work...probably will error. Try it...may get lucky. Its called "Offline NT Password & Registry Editor" under NTFS Tools. Another idea would be to contact the manufacturer and see if they could give you a repair cd...and say you lost yours or something...they may be able to give you one for free, only pay for shipping. Worth a try.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.