Booting with a USB CD drive

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

wrathoffate

Booting with a USB CD drive

#1 Post by wrathoffate » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:22 am

Is it possible to use UBCD to make my USB CD drive recognizable on boot? My current laptop cd/dvd drive is shot and I need to reinstall windows. My bios does recognize my 1 gig USB stick to boot just not my USB CD drive. Also, is there a method that I can use to format my NTSF drive and partition it using UBCD? All I seem to see is support for FAT/32. One more thing. I have 2 vital documents on my hard drive that I would like to recover. Problem is when I try to access their folders in the DOS prompt it wont let me. I never had any password protection set in windows so I am wondering why that is so. Any info would be appreciated. I cant get into windows, I get a black screen right after bios and memory check screen is done. I think its a virus that screwed up my boot file ( if there's a way to fix this please enlighten me so I wont even need to address all the questions I asked earlier if I can get into windows vista).

StopSpazzing

#2 Post by StopSpazzing » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:19 pm

Install ubcd 5.0beta12 to your usb flash drive, after extracting contents of ubcd50b12.iso find ubcd50b12\ubcd\tools\win32\ubcd2usb\ubcd2usb.cmd and run it...will give you further instructions to format and copy of the correct files for you. After it is finished boot from the usb flash drive and run the main item called Parted Magic. It will allow you to access all of your files and backup important documents. After that is finished, and being still in parted magic you can format/partition the HD.

OR, you could trying doing a vista repair...if you still have vista dvd, you can boot from it and select repair my copy of windows. I dont know the options off the top of my head, but one of them should help you repair the current vista build.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.