Sharing Violation

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

leaffan10

Sharing Violation

#1 Post by leaffan10 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:11 pm

I've just downloaded version 50 RC1 and I'm trying to create a new USB UBCD. I'm running Win7 x64 Ultimate. After realizing I needed to launch Command Prompt as Administrator I was able to run the command to format and create the bootable USB.

This is the output that I'm receiving.

UBCD2USB: Creating bootable UBCD memory stick ...
UBCD2USB: *WARNING* YOUR USB KEY IS ABOUT TO BE REFORMATTED!
UBCD2USB: *WARNING* YOUR USB KEY CONTENTS WILL BE LOST!
Press any key to continue, press 'Ctrl+C' to abort.
UBCD2USB: Formatting USB KEY...
Insert new disk for drive E:
and press ENTER when ready...
The type of the file system is FAT.
QuickFormatting 3819M
WARNING! The cluster size for this volume, 64K bytes, may cause
application compatibility problems, particularly with setup applications.
The volume must be less than 2048 MB in size to change this if the
default cluster size is being used.
Proceed with Format using a 64K cluster (Y/N)? n
UBCD2USB: Making USB KEY bootable...
UBCD2USB: Copying files to USB KEY...
Overwrite E:\.rnd (Yes/No/All)? a
Sharing violation
(ERROR) Missing 'e:\ubcd\tools\ubcd2usb\ubcd2usb.cmd' (script did not run succes
sfully)

Any ideas??

delicatepc

#2 Post by delicatepc » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:17 am

Two questions:

1. Can you use diskpart or whatever and manually format the usb stick to fat32 with default options? It sounds like ubcd script doesnt force fat32 if fat is current. This might fix your problem/warning related to cluster size (which shouldnt be there).

2. What command are you using to run the installer? The error at the end is basically saying "I checked for a file on the USB stick but I didnt find it; translation the UBCD files didnt successfully make it over". Its a simple check that looks for the file ubcd2usb.cmd on the USB drive, if it doesnt find it, it assumes that something failed along the way (which it likely did).

I am curious why its asking to overwrite the ".rnd" file... Exactly what did you specify as your ubcd source file path?

Proper command looks like so:

ubcd2usb c:\ubcdfolder e:

where c:\ubcdfolder is just where the ubcd files are and e: is the drive that you want to install these files to.

~
dpc

delicatepc

#3 Post by delicatepc » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:04 am

Icecube,

In my version of UBCD I have modified the win32 ubcd2usb.cmd to this (line 50 specifically):

Original

Code: Select all

format "%a2%" /v:%VOLUME_ID% /x /q
New

format "%a2%" /FS:fat32 /V:%VOLUME_ID% /x /q
This always makes sure the UBCD installs onto a FAT32 partition (which would likely resolve this user's issue). Do you think this should be changed in UBCD? I dont remember if I have asked this before.

I also added a -f in the syslinux command (found that it works better):

"%~dp0\syslinux" -ma -d boot\syslinux %a2% -f
Also what are the SETLOCAL (line 17), UBCD (line 82), and ENDLOCAL (line 93) commands added to the script?

~
dpc

Icecube

#4 Post by Icecube » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:44 pm

delicatepc wrote:This always makes sure the UBCD installs onto a FAT32 partition (which would likely resolve this user's issue). Do you think this should be changed in UBCD?
FAT16 is better for small USB sticks (<2GB ==> 2 GB is FAT16 limit), so setting FAT32 by default is probably not that great.
I also added a -f in the syslinux command (found that it works better):

"%~dp0\syslinux" -ma -d boot\syslinux %a2% -f
Did you get problems a lot when you don't use "force"?
Also what are the SETLOCAL (line 17), UBCD (line 82), and ENDLOCAL (line 93) commands added to the script?
I don't know much of batch scripting (Victor does this), so the following may not be completely accurate.
I think SETLOCAL and ENDLOCAL define a region in the script. In this region all new variables that are set are only available in this section (are not globally created).

'UBCD' should be on line 81. Good find!

echo Requires: W2K/XP/W2K3/Vista/W2K8/W7 and an (optionally extracted) UBCD
I always install UBCD manually (running syslinux installer and copying the files from the ISO, without formatting). That's why I didn't write a linux script to install UBCD on an USB stick, but wrote instructions instead.
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/

delicatepc

#5 Post by delicatepc » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:22 pm

I use -f (force) and force FAT32 because i found it was the best way to get it to work with USB sticks and HDDs. Apparently it will not want to install syslinux to USBHDD unless syslinux is forced and the FAT32 is due to some obscure issue i encountered randomly.

I have been using my build of UBCD with usb sticks/hdds ranging from 32mb to 100+gb hdds. I have not had any reason/need to use FAT16 so thats why i was curious.

~
dpc