Windows error

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

StopSpazzing

Re: Windows error

#1 Post by StopSpazzing » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:41 pm

Ubertino wrote:I all,
I have a problem on my Windows Vista that began afetr the purchase of an external Hard Disk Freecom.
A few days afetr the purchase I disconnected it while it was writing and, since that moment, every time I connect and disconnect it, the PC go to freeze mode for 5 minutes.
The same thing happen even if the hard disk is disconnected: every time I start windows it go to freeze a little after the password, and every time I connect and disconnect a usb device.
I have looked for the solution everywhere, updated windows, unistalled and installed the hard disk from the device manager but I solved the problem only when I restored a recent backup.
Yesterday the Hard disk was writing a backup while Vista was installing the updates; at the end of the proceure windows restarted automatically and the problem began again!!!
The Pc go to freeze when it starts, every time I connect or disconnect the hard disk, an usb earphone that has always worked switch on but there is no audio and I don't know how many others usb devices will have problems.
Has anyone an idea to solve this problem before I throw out of the window Vista or the the hard disk?
Thank you
First, as you found out the hard way...never disconnect a device that is being written or read from without first dismounting it.

After that being said, the issue that is causing the external HD to freeze your computer is that the computer is trying to read the drive and there are issues with the drive causing it to loop a few times because it wasnt written to properly. As to your Vista HD, not sure why randomly it would cause a problem...unless you were also writing to your Vista HD while writting to your external USB drive (copy-pasting to both drives at once) and then just unplugged the external drive.

In any case, you need to boot into Vista, go into "Computer" and right click on your "C" drive and select properties from the menu. On the window that opens, select tools tab at the top, then press the "check-now" button in the Error-checking box. It probably will ask for admin privileges click ok to continue, then on the new window that opens, CHECK both boxes and then press start. It will throw you a message... that windows sucks (lol jk) and cant be checked for errors while windows is running and if you want to have windows check for errors on next restart. Click YES. Then REBOOT and let it check your drive for errors...and should repair them if there are any.

AFTER the above has been performed...do so on any OTHER internal HDD's on your computer THEN boot back into Vista and plug in the USB external drive, wait till it's recognized and run the Check Disk on the drive, again checking both options so it will repair the drive. Since it is an external drive it should perform the check immediately and you will not have to restart the computer.

After all drives have been checked dismount the drive and reboot windows. And then try connecting the drive and see if you have that "lag" issue again.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.