ibm disk manager

Post your suggestions here if there are new features or applications that you would like added to the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

ady

ibm disk manager

#1 Post by ady » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:59 am

Can you please add the ibm disk manager 9.57 for dos/linux to the next ubcd version?

I think (but not sure), it was included in previous versions of ubcd. If that's right, I have no idea why it is not included in ubcd 5.0.0. Maybe it was a matter of size, or maybe some license problem?

IBM DM 9.57 for dos/linux includes information about old hdd's, and also an old version of the diagnostic utility (DFT) in the same disk with options to start either one of the utilities (in autoexec.bat), or even a dos prompt.

I think you could download it from:

http://ftp.eq.uc.pt/software/pc/drivers ... arddrives/

At the above site, there is a 1.44 MB bin image and other archives for dos/linux and windows. The bin image includes all the options described above, or you could extract the utilities and only include the apropriate utilities instead. IMO, the entire 1.44 image is worth to be included entirely.

I remember this utility as giving more info than others of the same type, even about not-ibm hdd's.

Of course, is not updated anymore (not by ibm, nor ontrack, and not hitachi). As a disk manager, AFAIK, there is no hitachi/ibm replacement included in ubcd 5.0.0.

Thank you in advance.

Victor Chew

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:12 pm

Nope, it is not included in the previous versions of UBCD. I will add it to the next major release. Thanks!

ady

#3 Post by ady » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:45 pm

FYI, I downloaded the .bin 1.44MB image. At first, I wasn't sure which portable freeware to use to check/expand/extract the image, since I'm using windows vista, and the site says the image is for linux (but the content of the image are dos' files).

So trying several possibilities, I noticed that the image includes a folder, besides all the specific files. The folder's name is "Data", and is empty. But not every software I tried actually extracted the folder alongside the files.

It is possible that the directory/folder named "data", even while empty, is necessary for the correct use of the ibm utilities.

So please double check that when added to ubcd, the "data" folder is also there, created/expanded/extracted in the "virtual" floppy created by ubcd.

Thank you in advance.