is there a free copy of ubcd anywhere?

If you have any useful tools or links that you wish to recommend to other UBCD users, post them here.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

unklski

is there a free copy of ubcd anywhere?

#1 Post by unklski » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:23 pm

:oops: sorry guys, i came here to find a free copy of ubcd. i went to the dotcom but it sent me to spotamu who wants $50 for it. First my problem is that my IBM thinkpad R-40 xp pro sp3 has crashed. The error message says i need to install a "hal.dll" file from WINDOWS root "system32" when I look at a similar friends thinkpad with same os, i can not find that file.
first, will all ubcd's fix my problem,
second, where can i find a free copy or am i being misled? I am neither novice nor geek, closer to novice, so i would need something with good step by step directions.

thanks for any help
ski

unklski

Re: is there a free copy of ubcd anywhere?

#3 Post by unklski » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:45 pm

Can anyone give a click by click? I followed that link, had already spent an hour there trying to navigate to any download of what i wanted. I did find the "contents" box on the left, and clicked on Download UBCD, but that only took me to a page where i could find the list of freeware included on the UBCD-still not obvious where to click to get the download started.

Will reset my fried brain and try again tomorrow,

The Piney

#4 Post by The Piney » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:23 pm

Scroll to the bottom of the page that Victor gave you, pick a "Mirror Site" preferably one close to you to download the ISO. When you have the ISO burn this to a CD AS AN IMAGE, not file. There are many tools for this, but I use and suggest http://www.imgburn.com.

Now your set to check out the project, it can be very daunting for newbies so take your time and read before you use any programs/tools that you are not familiar with. You can loose data if you misuse some of the programs/tools. Post if you need help and give plenty of info. and the regulars here can help a lot.

MINI

#5 Post by MINI » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:03 am

:roll: I KEEP GETTING THE SAME RUNAROUND
some guy wants 50 bucks for a free download ,well supposed to be free,whats he doing on your page asking for money when you say everywhere its free to download?
i go everywhere you say to click to download and i always get the money grabber!!
its hard to navigate it to get the free download just to burn and repair,why is it so hard and difficult to do something thta has directions and yet doent do as it says it does?
ALL I WANT IS THE DOWNLOAD ,JUST A LITTLE BUTTON
that will actually start downloading for me and then a button that will say burn
thats all
nothing much
do ya think i canfind it ?
no way!
please make this easier
please

Icecube

#6 Post by Icecube » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:15 am

Go to the download page and scroll to the mirror section and press on this image in the table:

@ Victor
Maybe you should reorganize the table:
"Sponsor website" "Download" "Version" "Status"
You should also contact the owner of:
http://www.serverninjas.com/ultimate-to ... d-download

UBCD502.iso on his server is only 164MB big :!:
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/

StopSpazzing

#7 Post by StopSpazzing » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:43 am

unklski wrote::oops: sorry guys, i came here to find a free copy of ubcd. i went to the dotcom but it sent me to spotamu who wants $50 for it. First my problem is that my IBM thinkpad R-40 xp pro sp3 has crashed. The error message says i need to install a "hal.dll" file from WINDOWS root "system32" when I look at a similar friends thinkpad with same os, i can not find that file.
first, will all ubcd's fix my problem,
second, where can i find a free copy or am i being misled? I am neither novice nor geek, closer to novice, so i would need something with good step by step directions.

thanks for any help
ski
Hal.dll is a hidden system file you can only find if you turn on show hidden files AND show hidden system files, else you will not be able to see the file. UBCD will not fix this issue as its a common problem for windows OS's esp. Windows XP.

Hal.dll is found: %systemroot%\system32\ or for default windows xp computers: C:\windows\system32

If your friend has the same operating system including version, you can just copy over the Hal.dll to your system folder USING UBCD, with tools such as parted magic, (you have to first mount the drive) then find the system32 folder and copy and paste.

Normally when you get a missing or corrupt hal.dll or any other system file means the HDD is going bad OR for windows XP, system just get corrupted overtime. So, when you get back into windows, IMMEDIATELY run a chkdsk /f in command prompt to check the drive for errors. Or if you know the Manufacturer of your HDD, you can run the tools from UBCD before copying over Hal.dll, which is probably the best idea.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

MINI

#8 Post by MINI » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:08 pm

OK THANK YOU
I HAVE GONE TO THE MIRROR SITE AND HAVE PRESSED THE BUTTON ON THE SYMBOL
IT SAYS,sorry caps ,two hours to download????
is this correct?
this is for an acer 5735 aspire that has crashed and wont boot up
thank you

Icecube

#9 Post by Icecube » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:44 pm

You can try another mirror.
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/

MINI

#10 Post by MINI » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:19 pm

oh downloaded it but it wont show instructions on the laptop
it still isnt working
i did the wrong mirror
which one please?step by step to burn this sucker to get the latop up and running again
i dont know what morrors are or what to do

unklski

#11 Post by unklski » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:15 pm

MINI I started this thing and still don't have anything to work with, I have kinda given up here.
BUT
I can get you to the mirror sites. From there on -good luck.

Click on the orange ultimate boot cd icon on the top left corner of this page.
then when the new page opens, there is a black box labled "contents"
about the second one down is download ubcd--click that.
The page that opens has the mirror sites at the bottom of the page in blue. I did not have time to try but one of these and struck out-don't remember which one by then was so frustrated I no longer cared. My attitude is hopeful that you or someone else will have enough time and patients to wade through until success comes and be generous enough to tell the rest of us.

like I said
good luck

MINI

#12 Post by MINI » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:04 pm

oh man the acer is not loading windows for me to do anything on the laptop looks like the hardrives been wiped and i dont know what the back was,do not have anythiongh
tried the vista 64 recovery it only helped me to a certain bit.now i need a install and i have to find it on the net somewhere
i tried the boot cd but it wouldnt boot up the putta and do anything
im trying to perceverE but im pulling out my hair trying to reinstall on this lappy
thank you for the help
if i can do it and gert ACTION ILL GET BACK TO YOU sorry caps

MINI

#13 Post by MINI » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:12 pm

i did actuall go to morirors and i burnt the dics but it didnt work,something like wrong configure
got to work pout which is the right mirror for the job