Boot Issues

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

PhaidOut

Boot Issues

#1 Post by PhaidOut » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:54 pm

I booted off the UBCD and then selected Parted Magic as my tool of choice. The system then shut down for a reboot, but just comes up to a blinking cursor in the upper left. The DVD drive was working fine before I did this. It isn't like the problem others were having where it would start to boot Parted and hang, it does nothing after it tries to access the CD. The CD boots into Parted Magic on the other computer I have with me. I have not run into this particular issue yet.

I tried multiple burns of the disk. I have gone into the bios to turn off the CD as a boot device but it is still trying to boot from it unless I point it to the Hard Drive through the manual selection process. It will no longer boot any other CDs. So I can force it to boot to the hard disk (which the loader is corrupted on) but no matter what I do I can not seem to wipe the instruction to boot the Parted Magic loader. The system is a HP Pavilion laptop - an older one now running a Turion 64 processor. I did a few searches but I either am not picking the right terms or nobody has listed this problem. How do I correct this so the system honors the boot order and any CD I put in the drive?

Thanks

StopSpazzing

Re: Boot Issues

#2 Post by StopSpazzing » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:31 pm

Very odd issues. First, I would CONFIRM that you have an exact copy of the UBCD image, see this post for more information: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2492
If that is not the issue...continue.

I would try to unplug your HDD(s) then Reset your Bios to defaults (MAKE SURE YOU SAVE THE SETTINGS), then try booting from the UBCD cd again and attempt to go back into Parted Magic and see where that takes you.

Several things it could be:

1.Your HDD is toast and the bios cant read it properly hence trying to goto DVD/cd drive...
2. Your CD/DVD drive is toast and not working properly, if you can swap it out to test if, would try to.
3. If you still get issues only thing I can think of is the mobo isnt getting enough or incorrect power/voltages which could mean your Battery or power supply is going bad and needs to be replaced, try removing your battery and running from AC power supply only see if the problems go away. Seeing as you are having random issues with faulty HDD and possibly DVD drive AND BIOS, I believe this may be your problem. If you can test your battery and Power Supply for correct voltages with a voltmeter, then I suggest you to. May also be the motherboard if everything else has checked out.

Let us know your findings.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.