[REQ] 'better' folderstructure for easier PXE integration

Post your suggestions here if there are new features or applications that you would like added to the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

olmari

[REQ] 'better' folderstructure for easier PXE integration

#1 Post by olmari » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:43 pm

I am in middle of intergrating UBCD into mine existing PXE-enviroment, but it isn't as trivial as it could be... As I don't like to "cd contents" to be thrown root-folder of tftp-server, this makes immediately configuring pxe-menus harder with UBCD... as UBCD's sys/isolinux structure assumes rootfolder to be same as cd content essentially...

So I propose that UBCD cd-content would have only one folder, UBCD, which would then house everything that is now in cd root... (Well ofcourse cdroot needs to have autorun.inf and so on, but not the point).

This way it would be trivial to put that one folder into tftp-server and instruct my own menu to dig up UBCD-menu from correct location AND ubcd will then keep on workin as files is allways looked from correct place /ubcd/something.

Otherwise if I want working system I'd need to edit every single menufile in ubcd structure and do it all over again when new ubcd would be introduced...

I hope I made any sense :)

EDIT/ADD: As I haven't found any way to for example load new pxelinux.0 with diffirent rootfolder that would work around this issue too...

Icecube

Re: [REQ] 'better' folderstructure for easier PXE integration

#2 Post by Icecube » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:54 am

Some files and directories can't be moved at the moment:
antivir ==> AVIRA expext this dir in the root (I doubt it will work from PXE, unless you modify the initrd)
/boot ==> ISOLINUX/SYSLINUX expect that there config file is in /, /isolinux (/syslinux) or /boot/isolinux (/boot/syslinux). GRUB4DOS expects is menu.lst in /, /boot/grub or /grub (not sure about the latter).
/pmagic could be moved to /ubcd but then an extra parameter must be passed to all entries in the config file of Parted Magic. You will need the PXE version of Parted Magic anyway.
olmari wrote:EDIT/ADD: As I haven't found any way to for example load new pxelinux.0 with diffirent rootfolder that would work around this issue too...
You need Syslinux 4.02 for that (you need to update all modules too (you won't find my econfig.c32 module, but you currently need to edit the config files anyway).

You can use the following:

Code: Select all

LABEL set_ubcd-extract_dir_as_root_dir
CONFIG /path/to/ubcd-extracted/ubcd/menus/syslinux/main.cfg
APPEND /path/to/ubcd-extracted/
The APPEND line will specify the new root dir.

For UBCD5.1, Syslinux 4.xx is planned to be used. It allows using relative paths and setting other root dirs, so it will make it much easier. I already though about a PXE version of UBCD, but never really started.
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/

olmari

#3 Post by olmari » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:52 am

Cool, I can compile 4.02 syslinux :) And with these instructions I can manage for now :)
Icecube wrote:For UBCD5.1, Syslinux 4.xx is planned to be used. It allows using relative paths and setting other root dirs, so it will make it much easier. I already though about a PXE version of UBCD, but never really started.
Well now would be good start ;) Heck in time I could participate too some way, like organizing menu's or something :)

P.S. Then you have to rename stuff to "Ultimate Boot" :D

Icecube

#4 Post by Icecube » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:55 pm

There was already a big change between UBCD411 and UBCD50. Alot of programs has been moved to /ubcd:
viewtopic.php?t=1521

You don't need to recompile Syslinux 4.02 (it isn't even recommended to be recompiled, just use the already build binaries).
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/