Formatting HDD, Which tool should I use?

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

hshel90

Formatting HDD, Which tool should I use?

#1 Post by hshel90 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:45 am

I have a laptop that I need to install a new OS on (Windows 7). I've already installed 2 versions of Windows on the hard drive so I figure it would be best to completely erase everything and start fresh. Would the HDD erase tool be the best for this job? Are there any other issues or advice that I should know about? Any information is appreciated, thanks.

Haubi

Re: Formatting HDD, Which tool should I use?

#2 Post by Haubi » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:52 am

DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) is fast and effective. It shows up a short report whether the deleting process was successful or not.

"Quick Erase" should be perfect for normal users.

StopSpazzing

#3 Post by StopSpazzing » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:48 pm

Topic moved for better/more responses.

I agree with Haubi. Unless you have private content you dont want anyone to ever get again, just use a quick format with the install of windows. Even then, when you format then install windows it will overwrite any content thats already on the drive and with defrags eventually all the content will be overwritten.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

veggy

#4 Post by veggy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:44 pm

I use HD Shredder. it can be run in windows to erase a second drive, or use it to create a boot disk (or use the image with UBCD) to erase the primary drive too. has a nice graphical interface. the free version only does 1 pass, and only erases an entire disk. the paid version can do multiple passes and erase partitions.

http://www.hdshredder.com

I never use quick format, because I don't like the idea of having to overwrite and deal with defrag. why do that when you can just as easily start from a clean disk? but that's just my preference.

StopSpazzing

#5 Post by StopSpazzing » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:00 pm

veggy wrote:I never use quick format, because I don't like the idea of having to overwrite and deal with defrag. why do that when you can just as easily start from a clean disk? but that's just my preference.
Or, install windows and Ccleaner (freeware), and check the box for wipe clean space. Most likely will be faster considering you are only wiping the free space and not the whole disk AND you can choose how many overwrites of data you want for it under the settings options for even more rest assurance.
:D
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.