Black screen on laptop...

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

egonsu

Black screen on laptop...

#1 Post by egonsu » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:08 am

I ve got Acer 6930g, when i switch it on I GET BLACK SCREEN and that's it... i have vista product key on the back of it, what should i do?
I ve got Ultimate boot CD, but i don't really know what to do... i used to get to the screen where it asked my for a password which i forgot as laptop was my ex-girlfriends. i think i have somehow deleted everything.
Can i reinstall OS on the laptop and if yes, how???
THANK YOU

StopSpazzing

Re: Black screen on laptop...

#2 Post by StopSpazzing » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:29 pm

egonsu wrote:I ve got Acer 6930g, when i switch it on I GET BLACK SCREEN and that's it...
Let's start with that. If it does not make any noise and doesn't sound like its ON, then its not working properly. So first, try removing the battery and plugging in the laptop like you would do to charge it, and try turning it on again. If it doesn't turn on still then we know its not the battery.
Second, leaving the battery out, hold down the power button for 30-60 seconds. Then try plugging in the device, as you did before and try turning it on like you normally would. If it still doesn't turn on then your Laptop motherboard could be bad and you may need a replacement. If it is still under warranty, you may try calling the manufacturer and seeing and shipping in the laptop and getting a replacement board installed.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Or if it works now.

P.S. UBCD is for computers that actually can turn on and boot from a device. If it doesn't turn on or the LCD screen is blank, then UBCD wont help you.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

egonsu

#3 Post by egonsu » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:16 pm

Thank you for advice.
I tried all of those things and everything seems to be fine with actual laptop, it boots, i can get into BIOS, its making noises, so i am guessing it just doesnt have OS, i think when i was using UBCD i have probably deleted evreything cuz i just did not know what i was doing. :)

any idea's what should i do now to replace OS as i have the product key for Vista... i might later upgrade it to win7, but at the moment i just want to be able to at least switch my laptop on :)

thank you for any suggestions in advance

StopSpazzing

#4 Post by StopSpazzing » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:49 am

egonsu wrote:Thank you for advice.
I tried all of those things and everything seems to be fine with actual laptop, it boots, i can get into BIOS, its making noises, so i am guessing it just doesnt have OS, i think when i was using UBCD i have probably deleted evreything cuz i just did not know what i was doing. :)

any idea's what should i do now to replace OS as i have the product key for Vista... i might later upgrade it to win7, but at the moment i just want to be able to at least switch my laptop on :)

thank you for any suggestions in advance

That changes things...lol.

Try Ubuntu, or what I use which is based off of Ubuntu, Linux Mint 9. http://linuxmint.com/
Burn the ISO then try put the disc and boot from it and choose live cd and you can test it out before you install it to see if it works ok for you until you get a windows key/dvd
~Just StopSpazzing~

Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

egonsu

#5 Post by egonsu » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:37 am

thx for advise again :)

i have tried to do what you suggested and i guess no luck for me, i downloaded iso file, bit less that 700mb, burn it on the cd, put it into laptop and booted from cd, all i can see on screen now is:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Cooperation

For Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCIE Enthernet Controller v1.0.0.12(2008/07/26)

Check cable connection!
PXE-MOF: Existing Intel PXE ROM
Operating System not found

ady

#6 Post by ady » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:19 pm

I may be way far from the issue with the following suggestion, so please forgive me if this gets to be a total waste of your time.

Since you can get into the BIOS, check for the boot sort or boot order or something similar.

First, check that you are working with the power cable plugged in, as opposed to just working with the battery.

If the HDD is working fine, and there is some kind of OS installed, maybe all the problem is just setting the hard disk to be the first boot device at the BIOS boot order options. Save the new BIOS options and exit the BIOS.

When it reboots, if the OS loads, you are working again. If the OS doesn't load, then take note of the messages and post back.

Even if there is no OS installed, setting the boot order to hdd should get you closer to ID the real problem.

If no OS starts after this change, and after you take note of any displayed messages, reboot and get to the BIOS again. Change the boot order, this time to boot first to CD-ROM, and as a second boot order option you should set the hard disk (if there is a possibility to do such thing). Save changes and reboot.

Then, after this changes, you could try again with the downloaded CD you tried before.

BTW, when you see the content of the burned CD, you are not seeing the iso file, right? You should see the "content" of that iso file burned into the CD.

I hope this could help you in some way.

egonsu

#7 Post by egonsu » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:31 am

Hi

thx for suggestion.
Yes, i have tried all of that and for some reason it just doesn't do anything,
maybe it's my laptop? i went to one of the computer shops and they advised me to get original recovery discs, but that is 50 pounds and i was hoping not to spend so much... :) Any ideas?

thx in advance

ady

#8 Post by ady » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:42 pm

Yes, i have tried all of that and for some reason it just doesn't do anything
I'm sorry, but I fail to understand what exactly is that you already tried.

In theory, for a while you were able to get a compatible version of Vista DVD from Internet (even from Microsoft's site). This was not such a problem, since you already have the legal key product.

(Note that downloading an image of Vista DVD could be illegal anyway, even if you have the product key. So, if you do it, you and only you are responsible for that action.)

Now, why I said "in theory"? Not because of legal actions. No.

I am actually thinking about booting your laptop with "something", before paying anything. You have to be sure that your laptop could boot from a CD or DVD. I am not saying you have to install an alternative OS. You only must check if your laptop can boot.

You could try with any simple OS. Freedos has an iso image for booting (and eventually installing) from CD. Or you could try UBCD iso image to boot. Or again try with the linux OS that StopSpazzing suggested and you already downloaded.

In any case, check that you downloaded the iso image correctly with checksums, and that you burned it correctly.

Try to boot with those CD's / DVD's any other PC. Again, you don't need to install anything, just to check if it boots. Then, if the CD / DVD correctly boots a working PC, try to boot your laptop with it.

Only if you get your laptop to boot with some CD / DVD, then you can worry about getting somehow a Vista DVD or any OS you would like to install.

If you can't success booting your laptop with a simple OS or UBCD, then no Vista DVD will be useful; payed, downloaded, borrow from a friend... Doesn't matter.

So, if you want us to help you, please be more specific with what you already tried and what errors you see, instead of just saying "I already tried all of that".

If you need more help, just give us more feedback and we'll try to help you.

StopSpazzing

#9 Post by StopSpazzing » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:40 pm

I apologize for not responding sooner.

Try directly boot from the cd drive by pressing what ever key it asks for to boot order or boot device...different on every motherboard. Possibly delete, f5, f8. It should alteast spin up the cdrom and you should see the drive trying to boot from it. Should not say anything in regards to no boot medium/OS.
~Just StopSpazzing~