Update Mcafee in Windows

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Bullseye

Update Mcafee in Windows

#1 Post by Bullseye » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:18 pm

Hi all
I can't figure out how to update Mcafee in Windows. I'm using Ultra ISO to update the virus definitions in the ISO image to burn an updated CD, but I can't find any info on how to do it with the exception of Victor's advice to do it from a command prompt, but I'm working in Windows. :?:
YOU ONLY GET ONE SHOT AT LIFE!

Victor Chew

Update Mcafee in Windows

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:13 pm

You can update McAfee's virus definition from Windows. Just download the
sdat*.exe file from the McAfee website, and execute sdat*.exe /x from
either the Windows command prompt, or Start, Run. Then copy all the
files you have extracted into the ISO, overwriting the existing files.

Bullseye

#3 Post by Bullseye » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:33 pm

Thanks Victor..;

Bullseye

Update Mcafee

#4 Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:25 am

Well, I have tried every possable way to update Mcafee with the sdat.exe xxxx and have failed. I followed Victor's instructions, but it just won't work for me. A zip file would really be nice!!!

NwDsk

#5 Post by NwDsk » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:41 am

For extraction run "sdat????.exe /e"

BTW I managed to script a little update routine that let you update the virus-def files for F-prot, AntiVirus, McAfee and Avast from the internet when booting the UBCD cdrom on a machine with a NIC connected to a LAN (which has internet access). This way you will always have latest virus-defs available when servicing a machine (unless it is a standalone). I will forward this to Victor for inclusion with next release.

Erwin

Bullseye

#6 Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:44 am

Thanks NwDsk

I repair PCs on the side and have a stand-alone Dell Dimension 4100 with a NIC card for cable modem. Would it be possable to extract the iso to a root folder on the HDD and update from there? Also could you e-mail me script so I can play with it?

Thanks... Larry Smith
Last edited by Bullseye on Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

NwDsk

#7 Post by NwDsk » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:44 am

Larry,

My scripts are currently being tested for (optional) inclusion with UBCD. It is included with the (upcoming) general-UBCD-boot-image used with all the dosapps and it is capable to update any of the 5 antivirus products on UBCD. It does this by first copying the AV-product to ramdrive and then update it. This is done on the target-station so there is no need to extract the ISO to HD. If you want to freeze the current updated AV-definitions onto your personal UBCD you can indeed extract the ISO, add the AV-definitions, and burn the CD.
I cannot send you the sole script since it is integrated with the general-UBCD-boot-image and it is under testing with Victor. As soon as I got his feedback I will release it here for testing.

Erwin

Bullseye

#8 Post by Bullseye » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:52 am

OK, thanks for getting back to me. I look forward to the next update of UBCD.

NwDsk

#9 Post by NwDsk » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:18 am

Larry,

I uploaded a boot-flop test-version ubcdvir on my beta-section. It is a SFX that extracts itself as a 1680KB bootflop. It is quite the same as the UBCD-version except that it is standalone (real floppy instead of image on CDROM) so the copy-from-UBCD-part is greyed out. But apart from that it functions the same. Due to the fact that the progs of McAfee and the progs and defs of AVG are not available as DOS-download I cheated a bit and they will be downloaded from another site (my site). This probably will be altered.

Make sure when you want to try-out all the AV-products with this boot-flop that you delete the previous AV-product from ramdrive before launching the next. Otherwise the ramdrive will run out of space.

If you want to let it autostart some AV-product with some parameters, edit the file Startup.bat in A:\Etc

Feedback appreciated...

Erwin

skydiver

#10 Post by skydiver » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:09 am

I am having a problem with the anti-virus update script. I am working on a computer without a CD drive (It died) and have only a NTFS d: drive. When the update tries to wget the virus definitions, AUTOVIR gives me this error:
Warning: cannot open swap file c:\cwsdpmi.swp

Where can I change where I save the downloaded virus definition files? I am booting with the emm386 optimal disk image. Can the program be pointed to save the swap file on the RAM drive? I run the bootimage with NTFS and LFN support enabled, but I am not sure if that also enable write access to the partition.

Thanks

Bullseye

#11 Post by Bullseye » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:58 pm

I have since been using the UBCD Updater, which works really well...

http://www.rescueme4win.org/UpdateUBCD.htm