UBCD - Can I run other software?

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

aubreymh

UBCD - Can I run other software?

#1 Post by aubreymh » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:49 am

If I burn UBCD to a CD and boot with it, will I be able to run other software (such as a virus checker like VIPER-repair or Malawarebyte) from another drive? I have a virus (I suspect) on my Win 7 desktop, and I need to boot from a CD and run the virus check software. Can I do that? Thanks.

StopSpazzing

Re: UBCD - Can I run other software?

#2 Post by StopSpazzing » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:46 pm

aubreymh wrote:If I burn UBCD to a CD and boot with it, will I be able to run other software (such as a virus checker like VIPER-repair or Malawarebyte) from another drive? I have a virus (I suspect) on my Win 7 desktop, and I need to boot from a CD and run the virus check software. Can I do that? Thanks.
Only DOS (with drivers) and programs that can boot from CD/DVD (even floppies) can run from UBCD as it's not an Operating System but a CD of tools.

Best bet is to press f8 before windows 7 starts, boot into safe mode and run those scanners. If they will not run, download on another computer Spybot S&D and run it, as it is meant to run from safemode and WINPE environments and have personally run it myself and saved many computers before. Spybot will only detect Malware but not viruses, same with Malwarebyes Anti-Spyware; Be warned.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

ady

Re: UBCD - Can I run other software?

#3 Post by ady » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:21 am

StopSpazzing wrote:Only DOS (with drivers) and programs that can boot from CD/DVD can run from UBCD as its not an Operating system but a CD of tools.
Well, actually, programs that can boot from floppies and programs working in real DOS mode, not only CD/DVD, can be run from UBCD.

Best bet is to press f8 before windows 7 starts, boot into safe mode and run those scanners. If they will not run, download on another computer Spybot S&D and run it, as it is meant to run from safemode and WINPE environments and have personally run it myself and saved many computers before. Spybot will only detect Malware but not viruses, same with Malwarebyes Anti-Spyware; Be warned.
There are many live CD's from antivirus manufacturers, if the anti-spyware ones above mentioned are not enough.

Just be aware of updating the anti-virus definitions / databases before actually burning the CD. The same goes to the antivirus tools included in UBCD.