It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Put UBCDOS on "Fuwi" MultiBoot USB-Stick?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 23
17October2010
Possibly someone @ UBCDOS is already familiar with "Fuwi's" MultiBoot USB-Stick?
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php? ... opic=24107
I would like to ask/know about adding UBCDOS to such a MultiBoot USB-Stick. Right now the major items are BartPE/XPE and PartedMagic. I realize PM is now part of UBCDOS ...
Any helpful replies/insights appreciated.
Thank you.
Regards,
AEN
Æ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Put UBCDOS on "Fuwi" MultiBoot USB-Stick?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:52 pm
Posts: 1278
e.g. for the UBCD ISO image 'UBCD' create a text file UBCD.lst:

Code:
title UBCD 503 \n Text to display at the bottom of the bootmenu screen
map /grub4dos/bootimages/UBCD/ubcd503.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader (hd32)

Note: Not all programs on UBCD will work, when you use it this way.

This should allow to boot Parted Magic too, from UBCD503:
Code:
title UBCD \n Text to display at the bottom of the bootmenu screen
map /ubcd503.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader (hd32)

_________________
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Put UBCDOS on "Fuwi" MultiBoot USB-Stick?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 23
Thanks for the reply!
I'm not having any initial success.
Error message is "boot image must be in one contiguous area ..."
I'm not sure if UBCDOS can go on the stick as an iso. To boot PM on a Fuwi stick one has to extract the iso»
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php? ... opic=24061
Also, the boot images are .img files not .iso files ...
I hope we can find/"publish" the/a solution ...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Put UBCDOS on "Fuwi" MultiBoot USB-Stick?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:52 pm
Posts: 1278
Doing some research on the exact error message yourself, won't harm you.
You need to make the ISO contiguous:
http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/map.htm

Booting UBCD as ISO with Grub4Dos can be found at many places on the internet.

Parted Magic doesn't need to be extracted. The last versions of Parted Magic are delivered as an isohybrid ISO (ISO with an MBR) and needs additional grub4dos parameters. See the following link, for more info about how to boot it:
http://forums.partedmagic.com/viewtopic ... =heads%3D0

_________________
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Put UBCDOS on "Fuwi" MultiBoot USB-Stick?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 23
So I defraged/optimized the USB stick, and then UBCDOS booted.
I would like to use PartedMagic through UBCDOS because of the FProt enhancement.
I would also like to keep PM in UBCDOS current.
I tried to update PM to 5.6 per the postings here»
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2491
I extracted the iso with 7zip and replaced the three PM files.

I won't use ClamWin based on the review here»
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/ ... virus.html
so I deleted the ClamWin defs.
I suppose there is a way to update the FProt sigs "manually"
under a normal XP boot instead of just online while PM is booted?

Anyway, I also tweaked the PM entry from 4.1 to 5.6 in main.lst in \UBCD\MENUS\GRUB4DOS.
I remasted the iso; put the iso on the stick; then defraged/optimized.
UBCD booted just fine. My 4.1 to 5.6 changed did NOT appear on the PM line.
I tried to launch PM. The first (pre-boot) screen appeared just fine but PM reported
that "pmagic-5.6.sqfs could not be found on the media" and "please report this in the forum ..."
I'll be working to resolve these issues but any helpful replies/insights appreciated.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Put UBCDOS on "Fuwi" MultiBoot USB-Stick?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 23
So I tried again. Same as last time except that this time I not only deleted the ClamWin sigs but also ran the FProt sigs update cmd under a normal XP boot - which seemed to work fine. This time I tried the PM 5.3 files instead of the PM 5.6 files. I also tweaked the ubcd\menus\syslinux\main.cfg PM entry from 4.1 to 5.3 - but that did not display under the subsequent UBCDOS boot either. I'm not having any success so far tweaking the UBCDOS menus. Where does the following go?
Icecube wrote:
Note: Not all programs on UBCD will work, when you use it this way.
This should allow to boot Parted Magic too, from UBCD503:
Code:
title UBCD \n Text to display at the bottom of the bootmenu screen
map /ubcd503.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader (hd32)
It didn't work from the Fuwi MultiBoot USB .lst boot menu. Am I supposed to launch PM from within UBCDOS with that menu entry? As a custom .lst entry? I don't know ...

PM did not boot again. PM seems to search for PMagic-X.X.sqfs on my CD drive ... Same error message. I'm not sure how to execute the mount command the error message suggests ...

The UBCDOS main menu says PMagic 4.1 but the PMagic pre-boot menu (GRUB4DOS.lst) says 4.9. Maybe one of those is incorrect?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Put UBCDOS on "Fuwi" MultiBoot USB-Stick?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 23
aen007 wrote:
Where does the following go?
Icecube wrote:
Note: Not all programs on UBCD will work, when you use it this way.
This should allow to boot Parted Magic too, from UBCD503:
Code:
title UBCD \n Text to display at the bottom of the bootmenu screen
map /ubcd503.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader (hd32)
It didn't work from the Fuwi MultiBoot USB .lst boot menu. Am I supposed to launch PM from within UBCDOS with that menu entry? As a custom .lst entry? I don't know ...

PM did not boot again. PM seems to search for PMagic-X.X.sqfs on my CD drive ... Same error message. I'm not sure how to execute the mount command the error message suggests ...

The UBCDOS main menu says PMagic 4.1 but the PMagic pre-boot menu (GRUB4DOS.lst) says 4.9. Maybe one of those is incorrect?
I suppose I need to tweak the isolinux.cfg menu item? Possibly someone might reply/adivse? It wouldn't hurt you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Put UBCDOS on "Fuwi" MultiBoot USB-Stick?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:37 pm
Posts: 462
Location: California, USA
You need to.... "dies"
Haha.

So are you using Grub4Dos or Isolinux? Depending which you are using is the one you should be editing. ".lst" are for grub and isolinux.cfg is for running Isolinux.

_________________
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Put UBCDOS on "Fuwi" MultiBoot USB-Stick?
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 23
aen007 wrote:
aen007 wrote:
Where does the following go?
Icecube wrote:
Note: Not all programs on UBCD will work, when you use it this way.
This should allow to boot Parted Magic too, from UBCD503:
Code:
title UBCD \n Text to display at the bottom of the bootmenu screen
map /ubcd503.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader (hd32)
It didn't work from the Fuwi MultiBoot USB .lst boot menu.
Am I supposed to launch PM from within UBCDOS with that menu entry? As a custom .lst entry?
I don't know ...
...Possibly someone might reply/adivse? It wouldn't hurt you.
I think it would be great if someone could/would reply to my above question ...
Quote:
Where does the following go?
I can boot UBCDOS from my Fuwi USB multiboot stick but
have not (yet) booted the PMagic within the UBCDOS.iso.

It seems FRISK has totally rewritten F-Prot for Linux.
Has UBCDOS updated the F-Prot within PMagic within UBCDOS?

When I login here @ UBCDOS, the forum rejects my first login attempt with the message
Quote:
You have exceeded the maximum number of login attempts, so now you must solve the captcha ...
seems like a bug to me ...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Put UBCDOS on "Fuwi" MultiBoot USB-Stick?
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 5:26 am
Posts: 762
aen007 wrote:
Where does the following go?


May I ask what exactly is your goal? It is not clear to me if your target is fuwi, ubcd in a UFD, starting PartedMagic from UBCD, or what.

The suggestions/answers are different for each case.

If you are more focused on fuwi, then I don't think this is the best place to ask (not that there is a problem with asking, but I simply think that other forums could help you better).

If you are more focused on starting PartedMagic from UFD, and UBCD is only secondary, there are better solutions, and the previous menus are not what you are looking for.

If you are really focused on UBCD on UFD, and you hope that PartedMagic would work from UBCD (but you are open to use them both independently), and you don't care about other tools or data you might have in the UFD, then UBCD already have simple solutions, posted in the tutorials, faqs, wiki...

If you want also additional tools in your UFD, there are also simple programs that can make the job easier for those users that don't have the knowledge to edit the boot menus themselves.

If you can narrow down your real goal, maybe we can point you in the "right" direction, whether it is in this site or not.

Quote:
It seems FRISK has totally rewritten F-Prot for Linux.
Has UBCDOS updated the F-Prot within PMagic within UBCDOS?


No. The current versions of UBCD are not using (yet) the latest f-prot (nor ClamAV) versions available. There are alternative antivirus tools that can be "merged" in a UFD, if this is a key tool for you.

Quote:
When I login here @ UBCDOS, the forum rejects my first login attempt with the message
Quote:
You have exceeded the maximum number of login attempts, so now you must solve the captcha ...
seems like a bug to me ...


Try correctly exiting (logging out) the forum; then closing all your web browser windows and cleaning its cache. Then come back to the forum, and use the correct "log in" link. Please report if this helped you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Put UBCDOS on "Fuwi" MultiBoot USB-Stick?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 23
11September2012

So ... I seem to have worked out how to boot UBCDOS 5.11 from a multiboot USB stick ...
and not with an iso boot as per above/previously suggested/tried.
ady wrote:
May I ask what exactly is your goal? It is not clear to me ...
My goal is to have very well endowed multiboot CD/USB media.
That means UBCD4W or BPE/XPE, UBCDOS, PMagic and various other multiboot items.

UBCDOS 5x has PMagic in it but does not have a menu option to boot PM!?
I never knew that ... 5x runs only modules from within PM but does not boot PM?
I have not seen a menu option to launch PM.
No matter ... seems I have also worked out how to boot the PM 6.6 (with FProt)
directly from my main multiboot menu ...
ady wrote:
aen007 wrote:
It seems FRISK has totally rewritten F-Prot for Linux.
Has UBCDOS updated the F-Prot within PMagic within UBCDOS?
No. The current versions of UBCD are not using (yet) the latest f-prot (nor ClamAV) versions available.
I ran the bundled FProt last night
Quote:
F-PROT Antivirus version 6.3.3.5015 (built: 2009-12-23T13-43-55)
Engine version: 4.5.1.85
Virus signatures: 20110806163709a6be0f43f27e7dd986303c104e0495
Is it still possible to update the signatures for use with this version?
The UBCDOS "Customize" webpage (still) says so ...

FProt scanned my c:\ partition in about 30minutes ... much faster than DrWeb.
As usual the offline scan found false positive riskware only.
I guess the A/V publishers think it is important to find something - even only false positives;
otherwise people might think the scanner is worthless ...

I have some other/assorted questions ...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Put UBCDOS on "Fuwi" MultiBoot USB-Stick?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:23 pm
Posts: 154
@aen007: Generally I don't think it's good to bump a year-old thread, but anyway...

First question
aen007 wrote:
UBCDOS 5x has PMagic in it but does not have a menu option to boot PM!?
I never knew that ... 5x runs only modules from within PM but does not boot PM?
I have not seen a menu option to launch PM.
No matter ... seems I have also worked out how to boot the PM 6.6 (with FProt)
directly from my main multiboot menu.


Are you trying to boot your PMagic (not the PMagic in UBCD) from UBCD?
If so, you have to change a menu entry in (UBCD drive)\ubcd\menus\syslinux\main.cfg.
Look for this line:
Code:
CONFIG /pmagic/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg

and change the path to what you need.

Second question
ady wrote:
The current versions of UBCD are not using (yet) the latest f-prot (nor ClamAV) versions available.

I have an updated version of F-Prot on my side. It's v6.2.1. If you want it, I can upload the TXZ file so that you can upgrade.
EDIT: Here it is. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70170658/ubcd/fprot-6.2.1.txz

Third question
aen007 wrote:
Is it still possible to update the signatures for use with this version?
The UBCDOS "Customize" webpage (still) says so ...

Yes, it is possible, but there's a bug in the script. Look at this thread. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14332


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Put UBCDOS on "Fuwi" MultiBoot USB-Stick?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 23
13September2012

Greetings.
Explorer09 wrote:
Are you trying to boot your PMagic (not the PMagic in UBCD) from UBCD?
It seems to me you do not understand what I wrote.
aen007 wrote:
UBCDOS 5x has PMagic in it but does not have a menu option to boot PM!?
I never knew that ... 5x runs only modules from within PM but does not boot PM?
I have not seen a menu option to launch PM.
The/My USB stick (in question) is (right now) a GRUB booting stick.
I do not have the 511 iso on the stick. The 511 iso is unpacked.
aen007 wrote:
No matter ... seems I have also worked out how to boot the PM 6.6 (with FProt) directly from my main multiboot menu.
The PM 6.6+FProt (from 511) is on the stick unpacked as well.
Explorer09 wrote:
If so, you have to change a menu entry in (UBCD drive)\ubcd\menus\syslinux\main.cfg. Look for this line:
Code:
CONFIG /pmagic/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
and change the path to what you need.
Thanks but that is for sysLinux not GRUB.
As far as I can tell there is no way to boot PM6.6 from 511 via GRUB.
My USB GRUB MultiBoot menu calls a (GRUB) submenu with PM6.6 boot options.
Recently I read a post somewhere by somene saying that as of PM5.?,
PM no longer supports GRUB booting; but that is patently untrue ...

Explorer09 wrote:
aen007 wrote:
Is it still possible to update the signatures for use with this version?
The UBCDOS "Customize" webpage (still) says so ...
Yes, it is possible, but there's a bug in the script. Look at this thread. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14332
Seems convoluted ... I don't have time (right now) to work it out ...
is there an easy/simple/ready-made way to update the signatures?

Sometimes when I select/launch a 511 menu item, the selected module does not load.
511 executes some console commands and a new (white + blue titlebar) 511 menu appears ...
It seems I can then launch any/all modules.
I'm not sure what 511 is doing when that happens nor why ...???


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Put UBCDOS on "Fuwi" MultiBoot USB-Stick?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:23 pm
Posts: 154
Finally I get what you mean.
aen007 wrote:
As far as I can tell there is no way to boot PM6.6 from 511 via GRUB.
My USB GRUB MultiBoot menu calls a (GRUB) submenu with PM6.6 boot options.
Recently I read a post somewhere by somene saying that as of PM5.?,
PM no longer supports GRUB booting; but that is patently untrue ...

Parted Magic did remove its GRUB boot menu since PM5.3. (Now I'm certain it's 5.3 because 5.2 has a grub4dos version)
However, you can still boot PMagic directly from GRUB.
The simplest way to do that is:
Code:
kernel /pmagic/pmagic/bzImage
initrd /pmagic/pmagic/initrd.img

(adjust the path accordingly)
It will just boot with the all default option. No menu and nothing special.

aen007 wrote:
Seems convoluted ... I don't have time (right now) to work it out ...
is there an easy/simple/ready-made way to update the signatures?

1. Download this patched script: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70170658/ubcd/fprot.sh
2. Extract the original UBCD 5.1.1 disc image. (I'll call the extracted folder <ubcd-extracted> later on)
3. Find the file <ubcd-extracted>/ubcd/tools/linux/antivirus/fprot.sh and replace the file with the one you downloaded in step 1.
4. Run the update script. The signatures will be updated in <ubcd-extracted>/pmagic/pmodules/fprot-definitions.txz
5. Copy the file fprot-definitions.txz and put it to your USB stick.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Put UBCDOS on "Fuwi" MultiBoot USB-Stick?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 23
26September2012

Greetings.
I booted PMagic today to try view
all the different GRUB gfx files I now have
(but could not - anyone know how to view GRUB gfx/splash images?)
and also tried to launch xFProt again, and
no matter what I did to adjust -
I was always given the error message
"Aborting - Cannot determine FProt version #" -
even if when the original fprot-6.0.3.txz was in place ...
Any helpful replies/insights appreciated ...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Put UBCDOS on "Fuwi" MultiBoot USB-Stick?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 23
28September2012

I've worked out working with splashimage/xpm images.
Still working on working with gfxmenu images ...

The fprot-6.0.3.tar inside the fprot-6.0.3.txz has a root dir of . (a dot)
with subdirs of etc, opt & usr
The fprot-6.2.1.tar inside the fprot-6.2.1.txz has 4 root dirs»
. (a dot), etc, opt & usr
That's as much as I've worked out so far regarding the FProt error experience ...

Any helpful replies/insights appreciated ...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Put UBCDOS on "Fuwi" MultiBoot USB-Stick?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 23
30September2012
So, I noticed that while PM is booting/loading, PM "processes" the fprot.txz files.
When I put the back in place BEFORE booting PM, F-Prot runs properly.
Explorer09 wrote:
I have an updated version of F-Prot on my side. It's v6.2.1. If you want it, I can upload the TXZ file so that you can upgrade.
EDIT: Here it is. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70170658/ubcd/fprot-6.2.1.txz
What has to be done with the fprot-6.2.1.txz so PM will run it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Put UBCDOS on "Fuwi" MultiBoot USB-Stick?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:23 pm
Posts: 154
aen007 wrote:
26September2012
....
and also tried to launch xFProt again, and
no matter what I did to adjust -
I was always given the error message
"Aborting - Cannot determine FProt version #" -
even if when the original fprot-6.0.3.txz was in place ...


This might be a bug in xfprot. I can't do anything to it.
Fortunately you are not alone. I Googled and found this: http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02493

By the way,

aen007 wrote:
The fprot-6.0.3.tar inside the fprot-6.0.3.txz has a root dir of . (a dot)
with subdirs of etc, opt & usr
The fprot-6.2.1.tar inside the fprot-6.2.1.txz has 4 root dirs»
. (a dot), etc, opt & usr

I made the directory structure this way, because I don't want the message
"WARNING: Package has not been created with 'makepkg'"
to be shown during the booting process of PM.
Has this made something wrong to you?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group