USB Stick does not boot under Windows 7

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

tomtom

USB Stick does not boot under Windows 7

#1 Post by tomtom » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:12 pm

Hello,

I successfully created an USB Stick with Ultimate Boot CD. When I boot the stick on my computer with windows XP I immediately get to the Ultimate Boot CD Screen. However, if i do the same on my Windows 7 computer, only windows starts but I can't manage to get into the ultimate boot cd menue. But: If I use a bootable USB Stick with a windows 7 installtion however it boots from the stick an starts the installation of Windows 7. Does anyone know if windows 7 blocks something here or if i have to modify something on the stick?

Thx
Tom

ady

Re: USB Stick does not boot under Windows 7

#2 Post by ady » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:16 pm

You could try the following procedure.

You say you can boot your XP computer with UBCD on USB, so look at its BIOS settings for the boot order. For example, it could be set at USB-ZIP, or USB-HDD or USB-Floppy or something similar. Write down this setting, since at least you know this setting is one that works at that specific computer with that specific USB stick. Get out (exit) this BIOS without saving.

Then go to the other PC, the one with W7, plug in your USB stick, get into its BIOS, write down your current boot order settings (in case you want to go back to it later), and try to set it to the same type of setting you previously wrote down from the other PC. Save the new settings and exit the BIOS.

If your PC doesn't boot to the USB stick with UBCD, then you probably should "play" with the boot order options available in that BIOS.

StopSpazzing

Re: USB Stick does not boot under Windows 7

#3 Post by StopSpazzing » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:22 pm

As I have mentioned before, most if not all recent computers build in past 6-7 years have the option to force boot a device. Try finding that key by using google or by pressing different keys (f1-12 or del or end) and see if it gives you the option to boot from USB. This is typically the easiest way to see if your computer knows the drive is there. Dont forget to make sure USB legacy is enabled...as could fix the problem.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.