BSOD after software/hardWare Change

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

heinzheinz57

BSOD after software/hardWare Change

#1 Post by heinzheinz57 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:51 pm

Hi First time question please...
I added a head set and mike to my Sony Lap Top and in the middle of my first Skypr conversation the computer died on AC power.
On restart I received the BSOD. I tried to load Safe Modem as well Last Good Configeration and repair mode; nothing worked or loaded. There is no Vista CD or Recovery Disc,,,can UB CD help me without having to Buy Win 7 to do a new install???

Thanks for any help you can offer

Heinz

ady

Re: BSOD after software/hardWare Change

#2 Post by ady » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:19 pm

Plugging a headset and/or mic is not exactly the same as actually changing the hardware (like actually changing a sound card for example).

I doubt the headset nor the mic are related to the power failure.

On laptops, power failure is usually related to the battery or the power cable (which usually has a power converter).

Let the laptop cool down. Then, connect the AC power cable, and check that the battery is getting loaded.

You may need to change either the cable or the battery, if it (the battery) is not loading correctly (hardware problem).

When the battery is loaded, try again booting as usual. If it fails again, try booting with UBCD or any other bootable CD/DVD/USB, so you can check the type of problem.

About a OS DVD, you don't need one (for now). Sony laptops usually have a recovery partition on the HDD that replaces the OS DVD. Before using it, report back here and we'll see how to continue the troubleshooting.

heinzheinz57

#3 Post by heinzheinz57 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:03 pm

I have gotten the UBcd to boot... howdo I Nowstart to restore windows Vista and/or figureout where the problem is?

Sorry, new at this

Heinz

heinzheinz57

#4 Post by heinzheinz57 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Hi again

I probably should have asked can I get to the restore partition on the HD with UBCD and is there a step By step somewhere???
To reiterate; I was not on Battery power when vista shut down but on AC with no battery in the VAIO laptop.
I queried the connection of the headset as the probable cause since the BSOD asks if you recently installed NEW Hardware.
The repair function just keeps running at great length (forever) with no result. When I F8 it won't go to safemode. It won't go to last good configuration either.
That leaves me with corrupted windows (probably resolvable with restore disc) or a hardware problem (HD?) as far as I can gleen from my investigations.
Does it make sense to learn how to recover the restore partion or can I learn how UBCD can check and maybe fix Vista???
Where can I find out how to do this/

For ever grateful

Heinz

ady

#5 Post by ady » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:31 pm

heinzheinz57 wrote:The repair function just keeps running at great length (forever) with no result. When I F8 it won't go to safemode. It won't go to last good configuration either.
When you tried that, did the hard disk led was still blinking?

Can you get into the BIOS? What boot order do you see? What info about the HDD is shown at the BIOS? Do you know the exact model of HDD?

When you boot your computer, do you see any kind of message before Windows starts its boot process?

Try searching at the back or the bottom of your laptop the exact model and search for help at Sony's website, or contact Sony's support directly. This should be your best option.

heinzheinz57

#6 Post by heinzheinz57 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:44 pm

When I click on Bios on the UBCD it says !Bios V3.2, then Bios V 1.35.0, then CMOSPWD V5.0, then KEYDisk, then wipeCMOS V1.2 Which should I open?

When UBCD booted straight from power ON; the HDD did not blink

There was no message BEFORE UBCD booted...

The laptop is out of warranty... Only 2 years old

Heinz

heinzheinz57

#7 Post by heinzheinz57 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:45 pm

I Can;t get in to check exact model of HDD

Sorry

heinzheinz57

#8 Post by heinzheinz57 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:55 pm

OK I found HDD and now wondering which Diagnostic tool to use... I did the data recovery to RAM and the UBCD ejected
Can you tell me what should be done NEXT

Thank ever so

Heinz

ady

#9 Post by ady » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:09 pm

heinzheinz57 wrote:OK I found HDD and now wondering which Diagnostic tool to use... I did the data recovery to RAM and the UBCD ejected
Hmmmm... Short answer: no I can't :? At least not with this info.

First, let's start with your responses.
When I click on Bios on the UBCD
I wasn't requesting to get into the BIOS section of UBCD. I'm still requesting to get into the actual BIOS of your laptop, and get the info about the HDD and the boot order from the actual BIOS itself.
When UBCD booted straight from power ON; the HDD did not blink
I was asking about what you wrote in your previous post:
The repair function just keeps running at great length (forever) with no result
The question was if then, when you were trying to boot in some of those modes that you described as "forever", the HDD's led was blinking. If it was, maybe there was a reason to take so long to boot, because Windows was trying to recover itself and the HDD was actually working and that was (just maybe) a sign of actual activity, as oppose of being a freeze state.

About:
There was no message BEFORE UBCD booted...
Again, the question was related to the system trying to boot into Windows. If there is no message, then you have to get into your system's BIOS (not into the BIOS section of UBCD) and turn on the options to receive messages, instead of a picture of Sony or whatever is showing now during the boot process.

About:
The laptop is out of warranty
You still can find manuals and all kind of info about your specific laptop at Sony's website, for free :)

About:
I Can't get in to check exact model of HDD
Again, in the BIOS, if you can get into it. Additionally, UBCD has a section about system information. Your options are:

A) Get into the actual BIOS and look for the info about your HDD; OR,
B) Search for your specific model at Sony's website and try to guess which is the model of your HDD; OR,
C) Use UBCD "system info" section to read which is your HDD.

Option A) should be the best in your case.

About:
OK I found HDD and now wondering which Diagnostic tool to use...
If you don't tell me which exact model of HDD you have, I can't tell you which Diagnostic tool may fit to your system.

About:
I did the data recovery to RAM and the UBCD ejected
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you did.

And last:
Can you tell me what should be done NEXT
If I were you, I would try to follow the instructions I already gave you, or even better, try to find some friend that knows a little bit more than you, who can have direct access to your laptop. No offense, but I have the impression that you need more help than we can provide in a forum. I may be wrong.

If you can follow the instructions and you can come back with the relevant info, maybe we can try to continue from that point.

heinzheinz57

#10 Post by heinzheinz57 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:50 pm

Finally figured out how to get into Computer BIOS (Esc)
Sony Web site does NOT specify Hard drive for VGN NR-160E but in BIOS it says IDE HDD Hitachi HTS 541616J9SA00-(S
BOOT Order;optical drives firs...Floppy next, USB Flash, next Usb hard disc, next the Internal hard drive and finally Network

The HDD light blinks a few times from power up while slash screen is displayed as well as windows loading bar then stops.

Trying to load in safe mode some blinking while a screen or two of files are beingloaded then goes to repair mode.

Now it only tries to repair for a short while then goes to BSOD.

You are very patient and I really appreciate you hanging in this long

Heinz

ady

#11 Post by ady » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:45 pm

Well, finally a real progress.

FYI, Hitachi Global Storage Technology website: http://www.hitachigst.com

Your HDD model seems to be the 5K160 (so you can check its properties and compatible tools). It should be of about 160GB, which is approx. 149GiB.

About the BSOD, there are too many possibilities, so I'm not sure I can help you with the specific reason for that, but let's not go there yet.

To check if the HDD is at least working, you should try at least the following:

1) If you are always using the same AC power outlet, try changing the outlet where you power up the laptop. Always maintain the laptop with the AC power cord plugged in during your tests (not only with the battery). If you can (after discarding other hardware issues - keep reading), try replacing the power cord (it is improbable that the power cord is the culprit, but yet, who knows).

2) Insert the UBCD and boot into it. Please use the last available stable version (UBCD 5.0.3 currently). At the HDD diagnostics, search for the IBM/Hitachi "Drive Fitness Test" (DFT), version 4.16.

The tool (DFT 4.16) should give you info about your HDD, how is connected, if it is detected correctly, and it gives you the opportunity to run a diagnose. If the "quick" diagnose results OK (no errors), then run the "Full" diagnose. The full run will take some time, depending on the condition of your HDD.

Beware!!! Do NOT run the Erase command, and do not partition nor format your HDD. If you do, you will loose your data.

After the diagnose ends, write down any message or error number before shutting down the system.

Report back and will see from that point how to continue.

heinzheinz57

#12 Post by heinzheinz57 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:33 pm

Both quick and Full evaluation of the IBM/Toshiba HDD Disposition Code 0x00 OK
I am so elated to have gotten this far thanks to you
Does this mean that the HDD is mechanically fine?
Can we check what maybe corrupted in Vista Home ...? Would that be the next step?

Heinz

Going to bed for now

thank you so much

ady

#13 Post by ady » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:56 am

heinzheinz57 wrote:Both quick and Full evaluation of the IBM/Toshiba HDD Disposition Code 0x00 OK
You mean IBM/Hitachi
Does this mean that the HDD is mechanically fine?
According to the test, yes.
Can we check what maybe corrupted in Vista Home ...? Would that be the next step?
The problem to identify what is the cause, is that a BSOD can be caused by too many things. It is not so frequent to see BSOD under a repair mode.

In a regular situation, I would suggest booting in safe mode and disabling drivers, programs, and so on. But if even a repair mode doesn't work, the problem could be a hardware issue (AC power or battery) or that the basic info in your HDD may be corrupt too much.

Now, about the hardware possibility, I can't do anything, and you may have to take your laptop to check. But before that, let's talk about the data corruption possibility.

Using the same tool, DTF 4.16 included in UBCD, you have to check if there are any partitions on your HDD. Don't change anything. You just need to know if there is some "hidden" partition, or any type of partition that is not the NTFS partition for Windows.

If there is such a partition, it may be a "repair" partition, that should work as if you were using the Windows Install/Repair DVD.

Now, here there are many possibilities. That "repair" partition could just erase everything in your Windows partition and put your system as if you just purchased the laptop. That means that you would erase all your data. If you have important info, and no backup, you don't want that option.

Another possibility for that repair partition is that it is just for burning a "new" Windows DVD. If this is the option, or you can get to any Vista DVD, then maybe you can make it work.

So, what we need to know is:

A) Are there any partitions on your HDD? Describe them.

B) Do you know which version of Windows Vista you have installed? I mean, language, x32 or x64, and which service pack (SP). The rest (if it is Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate...) doesn’t matter, because the DVD is the same for those possibilities.

If you can get a Vista DVD that matches those characteristics, and with the info about the partitions, maybe we can move on to the next step.

The specific code number (product key) for Vista should be in some sticker on your laptop, and usually the installed version is also there, except for the SP that you may have installed using Windows Update.

The additional problem with the Windows DVD is that, being a laptop, a repair installation can erase all the special software and drivers that comes with the laptop, and even you can erase your personal data (documents and similar files). That is why your best option is to at least try to find info at Sony's website, using the exact model of your Vaio (also in some sticker on your laptop).

In any case, it may be possible to use UBCD to make a backup of your important data, and then use the repair partition, in case there is any. But we don't want to rush anything, if you want your laptop back.

Report back the info and we'll see.

jaylach

#14 Post by jaylach » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:47 am

Just curious, by any chance is there an error or stop code listed on that BSOD? Any file name listed?

StopSpazzing

#15 Post by StopSpazzing » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:30 am

Did you by any chance have the laptop plugged into a surge protector? >>>http://bit.ly/f8LIwW Not a power strip, which tends to be thinner. It would also say surge protector on it.

I have a feeling that there could of been a power surge or voltage spike that caused the HDD to fail and corrupt windows. If that is the case then you may need to run the drive fitness test as was recommended and then run a chkdsk from a windows vista Installation dvd (which would automatically check your system and repair the issue).

If there was an error/stop code, typically, safe-mode would work...
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

ady

#16 Post by ady » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:53 am

StopSpazzing wrote: ... you may need to run the drive fitness test as was recommended and then run a chkdsk from a windows vista Installation dvd (which would automatically check your system and repair the issue).
@StopSpazzing, indeed he already checked with DFT successfully. His problem, to check the data curruption, is that he currently hasn't any Vista DVD, not to mention the appropriate Sony Windows Vista DVD.

A "simple" repair DVD could erase the special features, tools and drivers he has installed, being a Sony Vaio laptop.

The "secure mode" is not working for him, so if the problem is really data corruption, he will need some type of "repair" mode, preferably the "correct" version (with Sony Vaio tools and drivers, the correct language, version - x32 or x86 - and SP of Vista).

About the possibility of a hardware problem on the "power" side, we can't really help him much, but your question is relevant, and his answer about it may "say" something.

@Jaylach, your question is indeed appropriate. It could be a good indication. But the final solution will come from some "repair" mode, and since he doesn't have (yet) a clear and safe method to run the repair...

@heinzheinz57, please try to report back the answers to the questions from StopSpazzing and Jaylach, in addition to the ones I presented to you before.

StopSpazzing

#17 Post by StopSpazzing » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:56 am

Even if it is out of warranty you could call Sony and request a repair DVD. Tell them what happened and with a little luck and being nice...can get it for cheap or free (no guarantee). Asking for a Vista repair disk is your best bet.

When it comes to OEM/manufacturer's computer, you can request a copy of the OS DVD from every Manufacturer. :)
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

heinzheinz57

#18 Post by heinzheinz57 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:07 pm

Sony says there is a recovery partition...with the possibility of burning recovery discs...
Vista is 32 Version and was up to date with SP's up to 10 days ago.....
Have ordered a restore disc from Sony specific to VGN NR-160E...hopefully it will have the SP as well...
I do have a Brand new Vista Ultimate version will it serve any purpose before I open it ???
Also, NO SURGE PROTECTOR was used at the time

I'm sorry to be such a pain where in the DFT can I find partition info please..?

heinzheinz57

#19 Post by heinzheinz57 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:37 pm

BSOD MESSAGE: USBSTOR.SYS PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

txsagain heinz

ady

#20 Post by ady » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:22 pm

Sony says there is a recovery partition...with the possibility of burning recovery discs...
That's a good news. Now, we have to find the way to actually do that, or if you prefer, try to use the DVD you ordered (or you already have; sorry, I didn't understood so much that part).

To clarify the situation about any Vista DVD:

_ For what it's called "Editions" (Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, Enterprise), the DVD is the same (so, this is not an issue)
_ For Language: There are specific versions for each language, but you may find also that important updates (like service packs, "SP") may come as multilingual
_ For Vista with SP1 or SP2: you may find DVD's already including those SP's, depending on when you purchased it. There are "slipstreamed" DVD's (unified version including all SP's), and DVD's that only updates the original DVD to SP1, or updates from SP1 to SP2.
_ For x32 or x64 versions: here there are also several possibilities. The original DVD (before SP's) was separated; 1 DVD for x32, another for x64. There are DVD's including both x32 and x64 versions of the SP's, or CD with separate versions, and there are also multilanguage SP's updates.

I'm not sure how much this actually "clarifies", sorry :(

If you already ordered the most updated Vista DVD, specific for your laptop (drivers and specific tools included), and you are going to pay for the media and the service anyway, then wait for it and we can continue from that point.

If you already ordered the most updated Vista DVD, but you can stop the purchase because you think you can do it by yourself using your "repair" partition... Well, then it's your decision.

My humble impression - and please, no offense intended - is that you could do better having an updated DVD in your hands, that should be specific for your Vaio.

Of course, I don't even think of paying a whole Vista license again (you already have a valid license when you purchased your laptop). If I understood correctly, you are paying for the DVD media and the delivery service alone, not the license. Correct?

About the BSOD message, it seems it is related to your USB driver and a memory area. Do you have anything plugged in, aside from your power cable? If you have an external HDD, or USB stick, or any type of flash card, or whatever "external" thing plugged in, then shut down your system and unplugged it. Leave only your power cord. Even if you have a USB mouse, then unplug it. USB camera? Unplug it.

Please use your laptop on a flat horizontal table. Do not use it on surfaces like you bed, or on irregular, not-horizontal surfaces. The heat that the system generates must go out, so the holes of the laptop must be clear and clean.

We can disable the USB support from your system BIOS. Go to Sony's support website, download your specific system's manual, and search for the BIOS chapter inside it. Everything that seems to be related to USB, report back here the specific info and we'll tell you what to set "on" and what "off" or whatever selection should be.

About DTF 4.16 giving your partition info, I'll try to check the specific screenshots somewhere and I'll get back to you with the exact procedure later. In the meantime, try to clarify/answer the questions I presented to you here (for example, search and download your laptop's manual at Sony's support website).

[EDIT]
For the partition information, try the following (write down or print this procedure to follow it through) :

UBCD -> HDD -> INSTALLATION -> SEAGATE DISCWIZARD 2003 v10.45.06 (read carefully here, because there are other tools with very similar name)

Be patient and wait for the program to start (it may seem it freezes; again, be patient)

Now it may say:

Code: Select all

The following drive is not set up for use in your system
and then it asks:

Code: Select all

Would you like to prepare this drive for use in your system?
For this step, answer YES

But for the next step that follows that first one, click on CANCEL at the lower-right corner
(BEWARE, THIS "CANCEL" STEP IS VERY IMPORTANT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO OVERWRITE YOUR DATA).

Now we are at the screen we are looking for.

Now, select "HARD DISK INFORMATION", and at the next step select "DISPLAY TECHNICAL HARD DRIVE INFORMATION"

Click on "NEXT".

Select your drive from the list that appears.

Click on "NEXT".

Write down the 2 tables you see at the (default) "Translation Information" tab.

Click on "DONE" (lower-right corner).

Click on "EXIT" (upper-right corner).

Then report here the info you wrote down from the 2 tables.