Anti-virus updating

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

mistaknly

Anti-virus updating

#1 Post by mistaknly » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:47 am

Sorry for the bother. I'm just tech enough to get in lots of trouble and go off in the wrong direction.

I followed the web instructions to update the AV databases and then tried to create a custom iso.
I "assumed" the update(s) would be included in the new iso created with that command.

Here's what happened: Avira wrote a new recovery ISO 78M. Clam AV wrote a web page and Fprot wrote about 48M update, all to the:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\ubcd-temp directory.

Then when I ran the ubcd2iso command, all it did was create the original ISO without any of the updates included.

So what am I doing wrong? What did I miss? The only real updates where to Fprot but I don't know were to put them. The Avira, I guess we just use a separate CD, right? And the ClamAV, I have no clue.

Thanks

PS, great tool, I've used it over the years in previous versions. Thanks for all the hard work.

ady

Re: Anti-virus updating

#2 Post by ady » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:01 am

Have you checked the "known problems" item, at the left side of http://www.ultimatebootcd.com ?

mistaknly

#3 Post by mistaknly » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:58 pm

ady wrote:Have you checked the "known problems" item, at the left side of http://www.ultimatebootcd.com ?

Yes, none of those issues have any impact on what I'm doing.

BTW, I'm just using the windows tools.

ady

#4 Post by ady » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:53 am

Yes, none of those issues have any impact on what I'm doing.
I followed the web instructions to update the AV databases and then tried to create a custom iso.
ClamAV, I have no clue.
At the "known problems", there are updates to ubcd2iso, which is one way to redo the iso after building a custom UBCD.

Also at "known problems":
...ubcd\tools\linux\antivirus\clamav.sh no longer works correctly due to a change in URL...
and you have there another update. So what exactly is not related to updating clamAV?

timg11

#5 Post by timg11 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:05 am

I just downloaded and ran ubcd 503, and tried the Avira Antivirus.

Before scanning, I tried the "Update" function, but it didn't work.

On the page http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/bugs.html, I see the following item under 5.0.2:
ubcd\tools\linux\antivirus\clamav.sh no longer works correctly due to a change in URL. This has been fixed in V5.0.3.
Has anyone else been able to update the virus definitions successfully using 5.0.3? Or am I missing something?

ady

#6 Post by ady » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:40 am

timg11 wrote:I just downloaded and ran ubcd 503, and tried the Avira Antivirus.
What do you exactly mean by "ran" ubcd 5.0.3?
Before scanning, I tried the "Update" function, but it didn't work.
Do you mean before customizing?
Has anyone else been able to update the virus definitions successfully using 5.0.3? Or am I missing something?
My guess is that you burned the iso image and then tried to update. It's just a guess, so I may be wrong.

The procedure is:
1_ Download ubcd503.iso
2_ Expand the content of the iso image
3_ Run one by one the scripts to update the antivirus definitions
4_ Run the ubcd2iso script to obtain a new updated iso image, or the ubcd2usb to obtain ubcd on usb stick.

Optionally, between steps 3 and 4 above, you could customize anything else you want according to the relevant instructions.

Finally, if you get an updated ubcd iso image by following the above steps, then you can appropriately burn it to an optical media.

timg11

#7 Post by timg11 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:48 am

By ran it, I mean I downloaded the ISO, burned it to a CD and booted the target machine from the CD. I have not attempted any customizing.

Now I get it. The "Update" button in the Avira UI doesn't actually work from a burned CD.

The only way to update is to customize the ISO before burning it.

I thought perhaps the Avira environment was copied from the CD to a ramdisk so it could be updated at run time. I guess not.

Having that update button there is a bit misleading, but I guess that is code provided by Avira, and it out of the control of UBCD.

One other question - I have run a scan that took 3 hours. I have a log with lots of warnings due to encrypted ZIPs and other things I'd like to save a copy. How can I write the log to a USB drive or even floppy?

I thought I could find the log from the command prompt, but when I shelled to the command prompt, I was thrown off by the German keyboard layout. I tried "ls -l" and it came out "ls Bl", where B is the "beta" character. (not sure what it's called in German).

I got into some mode where whatever I type is ignored, and it gives me a > prompt after every CR. CTRL-C and CTRL-Z don't get me back to the shell prompt.

ady

#8 Post by ady » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 pm

If I remember correctly (and I'm not sure I am), when using Avira, you have the option to use English language by clicking on the relevant flag. I assume that after selecting the language, the keyboard should work accordingly.

About saving log files from Avira, you should search for the manual or help files at Avira's website, or their forum. I'm positive that same question was already asked somewhere (faq's, help files, manual, knowledge base, forum...).

Maybe from the prompt you have access to your floppy? It could be "B:" instead of "A:" ? Just a "wild" thought; I'm really guessing here and this time I'm probably wrong.

While seeking support from Avira's website, assume that you have booted directly to Avira Rescue CD. There could be a slight difference on drive letters (or may be exactly the same), but the rest should be the same.

timg11

#9 Post by timg11 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:24 pm

I found the flag in the GUI that changes it to English. That works great in the GUI. However that doesn't seem to change the command line. It definitely uses a different keyboard mapping. Every punctuation key is in an alternate location. Maybe there is some other command. I'll check with Avira's web site. (edit - I searched avira's site, and found the downloads and a forum thread on saving the log here http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?pa ... adID=82163.. Still have the problem below, though. I have not found anything about changing the German keyboard layout for the command line)

Do you have any idea what strange mode I got the command shell into with my mistyping of commands from the alternate keyboard?
Whatever I type seems to be ignored, and return just gives me a > prompt. I've tried CTRL-C, CTRL-Z, q, ESC, and numerous other commands to get back to a real prompt, but nothing seems to work. ALT-F7 back to the Avira GUI and running the command prompt again brings me back to the same mode - I don't get a new command prompt.

timg11

#10 Post by timg11 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:55 pm

This post http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?pa ... ost1009596 gave me a clue.

It says multiple command line environments are available with ALT-Fn, where n is from 1 to 7. My first "command line" was in some strange mode, but by trying the other ALT-Fn combinations, I discovered that ALT-F5 brings up "GNU Midnight Commander" - a basic but functional file manager in text mode. I was able to copy my log file using that.

ady

#11 Post by ady » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:10 pm

Avira Rescue CD prompt is based on Linux.

I can't help with Linux commands, since I don't know much about them.

Under DOS, the "keyb" command changes the keyboard layout. Searching for its equivalent under Linux could help.

I'm glad it worked for you, and thank you for sharing your findings. They are going to be useful to other users in similar situations.