Intel Macs!

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

ab

Intel Macs!

#1 Post by ab » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:11 am

OK, I wanted to try to run Salvation on my iMac because I've never had much luck doing low-level disk stuff on the Mac. Intel Macs have BIOS emulation now (they use EFI for Mac stuff), so people tell me they'll boot all sorts of stuff. For checking bad blocks, I don't care that the partition and filesystem are different, so if it'll boot and find the SATA drive (like it does on my Solaris machines), should be good.

So I tried UBCD. About half the time, it boots to the menu. The other half it doesn't. If it gets to the menu, I have a similar failure rate getting to the splash screen of a program, and I haven't actually got into one yet (there were only so many times I could reboot before I had to get back to work).

Now I don't know much about the low-level stuff involved, but considering the same hardware and the same CD works about half the time it tries to start running new code, could it be that it's a dual-core machine and that's causing trouble?

I don't have any single-CPU Intel Macs to try, which would be the obvious test. Anyone else tried this? Any ideas?

ab

madhead

Did you ever get this to work . I.e. dual core intel box?

#2 Post by madhead » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:45 am

Hi,

I have a boot cd that has been working for some time.

However when I attempted to use it on a dual core intel machine it gets stuck at the ...
ISOLINUX 3.07 03/01/2005
Copyright (C) 1994-2005 H. Peter Anvin

Everytime! Did you ever resolve this issue?

Michael-O

#3 Post by Michael-O » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:30 am

ab,

I am sorry to disappoint you but low-level formatting has vanished many years ago from the drives.
The drives arent capable to do so anymore. Hence, you send a ll format sig the drive block and does a regular format.