I wiped hard drive with cd..OS re-install help?

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

xkaysleyx@aol.com

I wiped hard drive with cd..OS re-install help?

#1 Post by xkaysleyx@aol.com » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:25 am

Hello. i had manyyyy viruses & untwanted programy on my computer. in fact, i did a virus scan and they found 306 {trojans, email worms, you name it.}. anyway, i decided to just erase the whole hard disk and re-install the OS [operating system]. I've already completely wiped the whole har drive.... so now what do i do to re-install the OS? HELP! :?

The Piney

#2 Post by The Piney » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:49 pm

I will depend on your system and the O/S, but you should be able to boot to the CD and run the setup from there. If you booted UBCD then your system is already set to boot to CD first so it should be as simple and putting the CD into the drive and booting the system. If you have further questions post with specs of your system and specific errors if any.

If your system is an HP/Compaq or other system that has the install files loaded into a hidden partition you may have some problems, especially if you deleted that partition. You may have to order the CD/DVD media from the maker of the system.

Good luck...

xkaysleyx@aol.com

#3 Post by xkaysleyx@aol.com » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:38 pm

i have a windows xp 98 home edition. i have this ultimate boot disk, and it boots to the cd's menu. do you know which tool i should use to re-install the whole OS? thankk you sooo much.

Constance

#4 Post by Constance » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:26 pm

xkaysleyx@aol.com wrote:windows xp 98 home edition.
WTF ?!
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

The Piney

#5 Post by The Piney » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:02 am

I have to second that... WTF?!

I"ve never heard of XP 98 home edition so I'll take it you meant XP Home Edition since 98 never had a "Home Edition".

You should be able to boot to the XP Home Edition CD and the install will start automatically. If your installing to a standard IDE hard drive instead of a SATA drive you shouldn't have any problems. If it's being loaded onto a Serial ATA hard drive press F6 as the XP installation starts "when prompted" and insert a floppy with the controller driver. The prompt comes up pretty fast and is easy to miss - it's on the bottom of the screen.