Boot error 81400219

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

jayseye

Boot error 81400219

#1 Post by jayseye » Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:33 pm

A UBCD 3.3 CD boots fine on several PCs, but fails on an old motherboard which has a Pentium 133, 32 MB RAM, and an EGA-compatible video card (not VGA). Is it possible that a VGA card is required to boot UBCD 3.3?

The code 81400219 appears at the lower right-hand corner of the screen, following a pair of brackets "[ ]" enclosing several spaces. At the top of the screen, I see:

"Error booting from CD/DVD drive.
Press any key to reboot."

The rest of the screen is blank.

Initially I suspected that the 32 MB RAM might be the limiting factor, but that was denied in a previous thread:

viewtopic.php?t=153

I'm looking for a technical summary of UBCD's boot process, but answers to a couple of questions might suffice:

First, does CDShell control the initial boot process?

Second, what configuration files are involved, if any, other than /boot/cdshell.ini ?

Finally, does isolinux come into play at all during the initial boot?

bldrdash

#2 Post by bldrdash » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:19 pm

First, does CDShell control the initial boot process?
Yes.
Second, what configuration files are involved, if any, other than /boot/cdshell.ini ?
cdshell.ini calls main.scn which in turn, calls other .scn files, but none of
these are used for the initial boot. If using isolinux or memdisk, the isolinux.cfg comes in to play but...
Finally, does isolinux come into play at all during the initial boot?
No. Only the second stage, where it actually loads an image.

I have been out of touch on the fourms over the last few weeks, but it seems to me there have been several issues with the latested CDshell we're using. I think Victor is looking for some answers. In the mean time, you can always check out the CDShell fourm.

jayseye

#3 Post by jayseye » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:56 pm

Thanks again, bldrdash, for your on-target answers.

I've posted the issue as a new topic on the CD Shell forum:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=12322

The only related post there, by Victor, was diagnosed as a hardware error (bad CD drive) for both reported issues.

CD Shell appears to have additional options which are unused by UBCD. Perhaps that flexibility could be used to help diagnose some of the boot problerms being reported for UBCD 3.3.

jayseye

cdshell.iso missing?

#4 Post by jayseye » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:24 pm

The string "cdshell.iso" is configured in /boot/loader.bin at offset 7D0, but that file appears to be missing from UBCD 3.3, at least when viewed under Linux and Windows XP.

The CD Shell User Manual description for this string is "Name of virtual file system image (ISO)", per:

http://cdshell.org/doc/loader.html

It appears that this filename should correspond to an actual file on the CD. Is there some feature of UBCD which bypasses this requirement?

bldrdash

Boot error 81400219

#5 Post by bldrdash » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:03 pm

If you can't find loader.bin in the boot directory
then I suspect that's your problem. Download UBCD
from somewhere else. We use it, and it's in there,
so I'm at a loss to explain why you can't find it.

BTW, you'll never see it on the CD itself, but if
you look at the iso it should be in there. In
Linux, the command is:

#mkdir -p /mnt/iso
#mount -o loop ubcd33-basic.iso /mnt/iso
#ls -la /mnt/iso/boot

Ian Francis

Error booting from cd/dvd drive

#6 Post by Ian Francis » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:10 am

I am also getting this error, however the code at the bottom right hand of the screen is 80800279.

I have tried different cd rom/dvd drives with no difference, however on other PC's is it working fine.

Does anyone know how to decode the 80800279 number?

thanks

jayseye

Re: Error booting from cd/dvd drive

#7 Post by jayseye » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:54 am

Ian -

Your specifc error code is being discussed in other threads on this forum, and it's been referred to the CD Shell forum:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php? ... opic=12249

So far the author of CD Shell (the boot component of UBCD) says that your error code means "Error reading from the CD drive". One of the UBCD people (Victor) is still pursuing that issue there, trying to get more detail on your error code.

However, this thread addresses a different boot error code, 81400219.
Ian Francis wrote:Does anyone know how to decode the 80800279 number?

jayseye

Re: cdshell.iso missing?

#8 Post by jayseye » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:43 am

Sorry, bldrdash, please let me clarify:

The missing file is named "cdshell.iso", in contrast to "loader.bin", which -is- present. That's consistent with my report that this CD boots OK on other PCs.

My point was that on UBCD, the filename of "cdshell.iso" is hard-coded -inside- the loader.bin file. This would indicate that a file named "cdshell.iso" should be present on UBCD.

The CD Shell User Manual documents the internal format of loader.bin at:

http://cdshell.org/doc/loader.html

That reference gives offsets -inside- loader.bin for several string fields which can be customized. On UBCD, the string "cdshell.iso" exists in a field documented to contain "Name of virtual file system image (ISO)", per the URL above.

So I'd assume that this filename should correspond to an actual file on the CD, but I've yet to find a "cdshell.iso" anywhere on UBCD 3.3.
Misunderstanding jayseye, bldrdash wrote:If you can't find loader.bin...
-jayseye

bldrdash

#9 Post by bldrdash » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:05 am

You would have to contact the CDShell author for more information on cdshell.iso; I don't know what it's for. Since it's the name of the "virtual file system", I suspect it's not a physical file (hence the term "virtual"). I know we've never specifically done anything with such a file name.

Besides, if it was required, the UBCD would not boot on your newer systems. I simply think it's a matter of an incompatibility with an older system. If you can get your hands on UBCD 3.2 it has an older version of CDShell, which it seems more people had success with.

Some other notes on making a boot CD more compatible with systems:

- Don't use an CDRW, stick with regular old CD (write once)
- Try not to use super high speed media, such as 52x CDs.
- Burn at a slower rate, like 4x

I have found performing those steps significantly increases the number of systems in which I can boot the CD.

jayseye

Smart Boot Manager floppy assists flakey BIOS

#10 Post by jayseye » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:24 pm

Booting from a Smart Boot Manager (SBM) floppy, I confirmed the ability to boot and run UBCD 3.3. Anyone reporting 808xxxxx (or other) boot errors might also succeed in booting first from a Smart Boot Manager floppy:

http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/download.html

My boot failure is due to an early BIOS, which -can- boot from MS-DOS-bootable CDs, which emulate a floppy disk. My BIOS fails to boot from from ISOLINUX (syslinux) or from CD Shell, as both of these boot loaders lack floppy-emulation mode.

FYI, I've already posted to the CD Shell forum, but many messages go unanswered there (like mine), or lack any useful answer (like Victor's). Apparently that project has just one developer, and in order to answer most questions, Mike has to reproduce the problem and then trace through the source code.

Thanks again, bldrdash. I'll test flashing in a BIOS update next.

pinky

#11 Post by pinky » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:50 pm

Hi, this ...

"BartPE requires a VGA-compatible device and uses a screen resolution of 800 x 600 pixels. If BartPE cannot detect video settings, the default screen resolution is 640 x 480 pixels. "

is in the rather verbose FAQs at http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/#download

As I recollect pebuilder is incorporated in UCDB4Win, so maybe this IS the problem with your very older system there.

jowaju

Re: Smart Boot Manager floppy assists flakey BIOS

#12 Post by jowaju » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:21 pm

jayseye wrote:Booting from a Smart Boot Manager (SBM) floppy, I confirmed the ability to boot and run UBCD 3.3. Anyone reporting 808xxxxx (or other) boot errors might also succeed in booting first from a Smart Boot Manager floppy:

http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/download.html

My boot failure is due to an early BIOS, which -can- boot from MS-DOS-bootable CDs, which emulate a floppy disk. My BIOS fails to boot from from ISOLINUX (syslinux) or from CD Shell, as both of these boot loaders lack floppy-emulation mode.

FYI, I've already posted to the CD Shell forum, but many messages go unanswered there (like mine), or lack any useful answer (like Victor's). Apparently that project has just one developer, and in order to answer most questions, Mike has to reproduce the problem and then trace through the source code.

Thanks again, bldrdash. I'll test flashing in a BIOS update next.

Thanks for the link, here is a bootable floppy image based off Smart Boot Manager.

http://www.upload2.net/download2/UKGBbF ... G.zip.html

I have copied the image file to an UBCD 3.4 iso and booted successfully from the CDSHELL command prompt. I do not have a machine I can test this on that wont boot correctly at the moment. You can access the CDSHell command prompt by holding down the CTRL key while the machine boots to CD. Once at the console, simply type diskemu working.img and it will (hopefully) boot to the CD as a floppy emulated CD and menus will work normally.

Not the best workaround I understand, but at least it's an option. Someone let me know if it works properly on a machine with verifiable boot issues.

gvsl

#13 Post by gvsl » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:17 am

Hello,
I have a solution to this problem.
Put a text file who has a maximum size of 413bytes into the root of the cd. It must be the first file on the cd ( alphabeticaly).
Example: if you let autorun.inf ( 110bytes) from the xp kit into the root of the cd( must be the first file), cdshell will work perfectly. My cd has run on many computer configurations without any problem.

How knows programming maybe can use the next informations to see where is the problem.
My cd contents WindowsXP and Hiren's Boot CD.

My cd root file list :

23.08.2001 11:00 2.048 PRO1.DAT
23.08.2001 11:00 2.048 PRO2.DAT
23.08.2001 11:00 2.048 PRO3.DAT
23.08.2001 11:00 2.048 PRO4.DAT
23.08.2001 11:00 2.048 PRO5.DAT
23.08.2001 11:00 2.048 PRO6.DAT
23.08.2001 11:00 2.048 PRO7.DAT
23.08.2001 11:00 34.301 README.HTM
23.08.2001 11:00 13.666 README.TXT
23.08.2001 11:00 85.792 SETUPXP.HTM
23.08.2001 11:00 11.387 SPNOTES.HTM
23.08.2001 11:00 10 WIN51
23.08.2001 11:00 10 WIN51IP
23.08.2001 11:00 2 WIN51IP.SP1
23.08.2001 11:00 2 WIN51IP.SP2

Before I found this solution I have a file named BOOTCD.TXT( from Hiren's BOOT CD 8.4) into cd root.
It has 14.6KB and it was the first file on the cd.
After I located the problem( try and error method) I removed BOOTCD.TXT file from root and my cd start working.
I renamed BOOTCD.TXT file into PRO0.DAT and lower it's size to 2KB( I delete characters from it) like it was a boot file( I didn't use this file in cdshell.ini). With this file, cd didn't boot.
I create a new boot file, named PRO0.DAT( like PRO1,...,PRO7;I didn't use this file in cdshell.ini). With this file, cd did boot.
After that I try to lower the file size. When the file size was 413bytes or lower the cd worked fine. When it was >=414Bytes the error "Error booting from CD/DVD drive..." appeared.