Erase Hard Drive completely

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

oldsob

Erase Hard Drive completely

#1 Post by oldsob » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:38 pm

I have a old HP hard drive that I need to send back to HP for part replacement. I want to erase everything on
the drive so none can retrieve the data. I will attach the hard drive to my good computer through the F drive.

Where can I find a program to do this? I was told there was an Ultimate Boot CD Version 4.11, but
I don't see the download here.

Can anyone assist me?

Regards,
Larry

StopSpazzing

Re: Erase Hard Drive completely

#2 Post by StopSpazzing » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:11 pm

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

After burning the ISO...

1. With computer off, remove good HDD(s) from computer and install HDD you want to erase.
2. Boot the CD and select HDD tools, then HDD Wiping, then select "Darik's Boot and Nuke".
3. Follow the on-screen instructions.

This is probably (arguably) the easiest way to wipe the drive clean. Boot from windows and wiping could take considerably longer and potentially select the wrong drive could cause issues.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

oldsob

#3 Post by oldsob » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:23 am

My problem is the HD I want to erase won't boot up windows, but I was able to copy
my documents and files I wanted to keep.

So I can't put it in my computer and download the program.

You're saying that connecting the hard drive to one of the bus ports might erase the wrong disk?

Regards,
Larry

StopSpazzing

#4 Post by StopSpazzing » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:06 am

oldsob wrote:My problem is the HD I want to erase won't boot up windows, but I was able to copy
my documents and files I wanted to keep.

So I can't put it in my computer and download the program.

You're saying that connecting the hard drive to one of the bus ports might erase the wrong disk?

Regards,
Larry
The computer you are posting from, can it burn CD's? If so:

1. Download the ISO: http://ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
2. Burn the ISO to CD using Imgburn (freeware) or similar program.
3. Follow instructions from my previous post. :)
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

oldsob

#5 Post by oldsob » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:16 pm

Since I am returning the HD to HP for a refund. How about putting a powerful magnet on top of the HD?
I've heard that works. I already formated both partitions so wouldn't the magnet do the trick of making everything
unreadable?

Regards,
Larry

ady

#6 Post by ady » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:16 pm

oldsob wrote:Since I am returning the HD to HP for a refund. How about putting a powerful magnet on top of the HD?
I've heard that works. I already formated both partitions so wouldn't the magnet do the trick of making everything
unreadable?

Regards,
Larry
@oldsob,

The instructions provided by StopSpazzing are correct and accurate. The reason to use DBAN is that it is easy (although, not the fastest). The reason to completely DISconnect the GOOD HDD and leave only the "BAD" HDD is to avoid any possible confusions or mistakes when using DBAN to select the specific HDD to be erased. Selecting "all HDD's" or "the only connected HDD" is faster, simpler and SAFER than having to decide which specific HDD you need to erase while avoiding the HDD that you do NOT want to erase.

If your HDD is REALLY having a technical problem, there is a chance that ANYTHING can make things worse.

If your HDD is NOT really having a technical problem (and HP will double-check whether it has a problem or not), then any adequate SOFTWARE method can be used.

Now, FORMATTING and/or PARTITIONING a HDD won't really erase the data contained in the HDD. Any "one pass" erase software *is* adequate and enough (you don't need any "7 passes" or anything DoD for your case).

But you are suggesting also to use a "hardware" method (magnet). Whether the HDD is actually having a technical problem or not, using a magnet can make the things much worse, and it could void your warranty.

If HP decides it, they can charge you for a new HDD AND also for the useless hardware check, if they find out that you used a magnet close to your HDD.

Hence, following StopSpazzing's instructions is your best option IMO.

oldsob

#7 Post by oldsob » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:52 am

Thanks to Ady and Stopspazzing. Sorry for being so dense. I didn't know you could use the downloaded CD to work on a HD when windows doesn't start up (scewed up HD). The computer I'm writting on now has the good HD on it and everything works fine. I'll try your advice. I will copy your advice onto a document so I can remember the next time this happens.

Thanks again,
Larry