Problems mounting C: drive in FreeDOS

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

johnnysmooth

Problems mounting C: drive in FreeDOS

#1 Post by johnnysmooth » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:13 am

Dear All,

I was hoping to use ubcd 3.4 to recover files from an NTFS-formatted HD in a laptop, using one of the inbuilt filemanagers. What I've found is that when I drop down to FreeDOS, and enable LFN and NTFSDOS at boot-time, I still can't find the drive in question. In Windows it would be under c: but in DOS I don't know - I've tried a few letters without success. It's as if it's not been mounted. The only drives I get are R: T: and Z (I think).

Would you know how I can find the inbult HD? Is there a command for detecting HDs and for mounting them as, say, c: ?

Many thanks

Constance

#2 Post by Constance » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:22 am

Hmm I'd say the most certain way to do that would be using a linux livecd such as Knoppix and use the mount command.

Should give something such as
mount /dev/hda1 /path_where_you_want_the_drive_to_be_mounted
assuming that this is the first partition on master IDE drive...
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

johnnysmooth

#3 Post by johnnysmooth » Tue May 01, 2007 3:03 am

Thanks for your reply. Certainly, booting from Knoppix would be one way round the problem - and one that I will bear in mind.

However, I was really hoping to get this working from ubcd as this would be more practical for me, as all the other tools I want to use are on it. Out of curiosity, could it be that NTFSDOS does not have SATA support? If not, is it feasible to integrate it, and how then would I go about reloading the driver into DOS?

I guess I could always try integrating a stand-alone linux filemanager (with NTFS r/w, SATA support) into ubcd. Would you know if such a filemanager exists, and if it has the functionality I want?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for all your help with this.

Constance

#4 Post by Constance » Tue May 01, 2007 4:22 am

Hmm as far as I know, the problem of SATA being supported or not is related to the OS itself...
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.