Darik's Boot & Nuke

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

georges

Darik's Boot & Nuke

#1 Post by georges » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:04 am

I have just downloaded a copy of Darik's Boot & Nuke to wipe a hard drive I am selling on an old computer. I have changed the boot sequence to boot from the cd but the program won't work.

The computer just boots to the normal windows screen. Any suggestions.

The Piney

Re: Darik's Boot & Nuke

#2 Post by The Piney » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:01 pm

Did you burn the ISO to the CD as a file or image? In windows, if you open the CD in explorer can you see a file or folders?

I use IMGBURN to burn ISOs to disc ---> http://www.imgburn.com/

georges

#3 Post by georges » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:32 pm

The Piney wrote:Did you burn the ISO to the CD as a file or image? In windows, if you open the CD in explorer can you see a file or folders?

The Piney wrote:Did you burn the ISO to the CD as a file or image? In windows, if you open the CD in explorer can you see a file or folders?

Not sure. i used free easy burn to burn the file to the CD. if i use imgburn to do it again do i need to burn the file in a certain way?

The Piney

#4 Post by The Piney » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:43 pm

You don't want to burn the ISO file to the CD, you want to write the image to the CD. In IMGBurn you would chose the "Write image file to disc".

georges

#5 Post by georges » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:27 am

The Piney wrote:You don't want to burn the ISO file to the CD, you want to write the image to the CD. In IMGBurn you would chose the "Write image file to disc".
after checking i did use the software you mentioned. been checking through and i cant find anywhere where it says write to the CD only burn? there is an option to create an image? if i am using the same software as yourself it must be a matter of the way i am using it. any help would be appreciated.

georges

#6 Post by georges » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:41 am

georges wrote:
The Piney wrote:You don't want to burn the ISO file to the CD, you want to write the image to the CD. In IMGBurn you would chose the "Write image file to disc".
managed to get it working. Many thanks for your help

The Piney

#7 Post by The Piney » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:35 pm

Hope I caught you before you started using DBaN... Be careful as you can wipe all your drives. I suggest disconnecting any drives that you don't want wiped.

georges

#8 Post by georges » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:59 pm

The Piney wrote:Hope I caught you before you started using DBaN... Be careful as you can wipe all your drives. I suggest disconnecting any drives that you don't want wiped.
no problem, did read this before i started.

georges

#9 Post by georges » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:02 am

georges wrote:
The Piney wrote:Hope I caught you before you started using DBaN... Be careful as you can wipe all your drives. I suggest disconnecting any drives that you don't want wiped.
no problem, did read this before i started.
i used this on an old machine i wanted to sell and it worked fine. i am going to use it on my present computer and was wondering do you still need to format the hard drive after using boot and nuke before reloading windows seven

ady

#10 Post by ady » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:21 am

georges wrote:i am going to use it on my present computer and was wondering do you still need to format the hard drive after using boot and nuke before reloading windows seven
If you wipe your HDD, you will need to (re)partition and (re)format those new partitions.

If all you want to do is reinstall Windows in the exact same partitions, just use the Windows DVD or equivalent installation method. There is no need to wipe the HDD just for that.