How can UBCD access the W7 setup.exe in a 2nd SATA drive?

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

FangTheBunny

How can UBCD access the W7 setup.exe in a 2nd SATA drive?

#1 Post by FangTheBunny » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:08 am

Hi guys,

Wonder if someone might suggest a program on the UBCD that might help. I have both a main IDE CD drive and a second SATA DVD drive.

QUESTION
I want to boot up the UBCD on my main IDE CD drive in order to run setup.exe file on my second SATA drive.
What program on the UBCD might allow me to access the second SATA DVD drive?

My SATA DVD drive is connected to a 2003 Dell mobo by a Startech VIA VT6421A controller - but like many, it read/writes fine but does not boot the attatched SATA DVD drive.

:?:

BACKGROUND INFO
I would like to install Windows 7 from my DVD retail pack.
I know it installs and runs ok on the computer, because I have done it before - BUT just as long as I run the setup.exe file on the SATA DVD drive from XP (which is installed on the first partition of my IDE drive).
But my understanding (and experience on this computer) is when you install W7 using XP you are not offered a clean partition install - just the upgrading of the existing XP.
Of course, that still leaves XP stuff present in the new W7 install (albeit minor stuff).
But I would like to re-install W7 cleanly -hence the need to run the setup.exe from the SATA DVD drive.
Finally, the computer is really end of life but I would still like to use it.

Any help appreciated.

:|

StopSpazzing

Re: How can UBCD access the W7 setup.exe in a 2nd SATA drive

#2 Post by StopSpazzing » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:24 am

EDIT: Drivers are required if using a separate controller attached to a riser slot of some sort. So to fix my response you may wipe the drive with UBCD, then use another means to install win7 into the computer, but as was suggested, you best bet with such an old computer would be to use alternative OS's, such as Linux. Many free application to getting Win7 from your dvd to a USB Flash Drive (UFD) if you had one laying around by chance, if in event your computer even supported booting from USB.

First, make sure your old 2003 Dell supports windows 7. If you know it does, then proceed.

Second, if you havent already, back up all your data from XP to another HDD.

Third, boot into UBCD, Select HDD, Then Disk Wiping, choose one, or HDDErase is a good option. Wipe/format the HDD with XP installed, leaving you a blank HDD.

Fourth, boot from your Win7 UFD (USB Flash Drive) and install like its a new computer.

Fifth, Enjoy.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

FangTheBunny

#3 Post by FangTheBunny » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:41 am

StopSpazzing wrote:First, make sure your old 2003 Dell supports windows 7. If you know it does, then proceed.

Second, if you havent already, back up all your data from XP to another HDD.

Third, boot into UBCD, Select HDD, Then Disk Wiping, choose one, or HDDErase is a good option. Wipe/format the HDD with XP installed, leaving you a blank HDD.

Fourth, boot from your Win7 disc and install like its a new computer.

Fifth, Enjoy.

Thanks StopSpazzing :)

ady

#4 Post by ady » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:52 am

I don't get it.

Whether you wipe out your HDD or not, I don't understand StopSpazzing's suggestion.

If you cannot boot this system with a DVD, then Windows Seven cannot be installed by booting from its own DVD.

I am not so sure that this system is a match for Win7, unless you have additional resources (such as RAM, enough HDD space,...).

In any case, if this system can boot from USB, you could build a USB flash drive so to install Win7 from it and use the resulting USB drive to boot this system just once and install Win7 from it onto the internal IDE HDD, optionally having a "clean" HDD.

Or, instead of a USB drive, you could, perhaps, use the internal drive for the same purpose.

Perhaps copying the installation files to the internal IDE drive and launching the Win7 setup from FDUBCD / FreeDOS might work? I don't really know / recall.

All these potential alternatives are off-topic in this UBCD forum, and I would suggest, before anything else, double-checking that this system can actually run (a usable) Win7. You might find out that it could be better to keep XP in this system, or to use some alternative lighter OS.

FangTheBunny

#5 Post by FangTheBunny » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:54 pm

Thanks Ady
ady wrote:I don't get it.

Whether you wipe out your HDD or not, I don't understand StopSpazzing's suggestion.

If you cannot boot this system with a DVD, then Windows Seven cannot be installed by booting from its own DVD.
That is correct, however I appreciate ideas before I give up.

I am not so sure that this system is a match for Win7, unless you have additional resources (such as RAM, enough HDD space,...).
I know its ok, I had it up and running for a while based on updating an existing XP partition.

In any case, if this system can boot from USB, you could build a USB flash drive so to install Win7 from it and use the resulting USB drive to boot this system just once and install Win7 from it onto the internal IDE HDD, optionally having a "clean" HDD.
I know the 2003 Dell will read USB, but the BIOS doesnt give any option to boot from USB. BUT as I have never prepared a booting USB maybe its an option I will look at.

Or, instead of a USB drive, you could, perhaps, use the internal drive for the same purpose.
Perhaps copying the installation files to the internal IDE drive and launching the Win7 setup from FDUBCD / FreeDOS might work? I don't really know / recall.
AHA! This sound likea workable option. I presume I can simply just copy all the W7 OS files onto this partition?

All these potential alternatives are off-topic in this UBCD forum, and I would suggest, before anything else, double-checking that this system can actually run (a usable) Win7. You might find out that it could be better to keep XP in this system, or to use some alternative lighter OS.
Yes you are right. I was just looking for a bootable option to read my second DVD drive - the SATA one.. and I didnt know if UBCD would do the trick.

I will stop here. Thanks guys. If anyone wants to add something more then please do other wise this can just be closed in a week or so.
:D

StopSpazzing

#6 Post by StopSpazzing » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:29 pm

ady wrote:I don't get it.

Sorry was tired and didn't see IDE was only CD.

He/she has to have it wiped to do a full installation not an upgrade, hence my answer. Only thing I messed up with should have suggested was to put the dvd of Win7 on USB Flash Drive and install using it if computer again, as I already stated, supported it.

Drivers are required if using a separate controller attached to a expansion slot of some sort. So to fix my response, you may wipe the drive with UBCD, then use another means to install win7 into the computer, but as was suggested, you best bet with such an old computer would be to use alternative OS's, such as Linux.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.