Help mounting RAID drives

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Foxgear

Help mounting RAID drives

#1 Post by Foxgear » Sat May 27, 2017 7:46 am

I am trying to salvage some of my Bfs files from his hard drive after what seems to be an OS issue, as UBCD shows all his drives are working fine after the extensive test.

However they don't show up in the mount options, and if I try to click them through the file manager i get this

udevil: /dev/sdb is known to mount - running mount as current user
udevil: warning 45: options ignored for device in fstab (or specify mount point)
mount: unknown filesystem type 'isw_raid_member'

Is there any help for this?

The Piney

Re: Help mounting RAID drives

#2 Post by The Piney » Tue May 30, 2017 10:15 pm

What RAID level... If it's stripped I'm not sure how best to proceed. If it's a simple mirror you can try to recover from any drives in the array unless one has damage/corruption then you can switch to the other drive.

If your trying to mount from PartedMagic or other Linux distro you can try adding sudo to give yourself elevated permissions (I've had to use sudo many times to get access to drives) but not sure if that will help.

If this doesn't help give us more info and someone may be able to help further.

PC specs? OS? RAID type/level? Drives? As much info as you can will help greatly.

P.S. - I often connect drives with issues to another working system using a USB adapter or as a secondary drive through IDE/SATA connections onboard.

Foxgear

#3 Post by Foxgear » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:21 am

I'm not sure what you mean by stripped. The OS (Win10) won't boot, for no easily discernible reason. Windows recovery options don't work. I'm using whatever system comes with UBCD, I've also tried Kubuntu and it won't even show there's a drive there, though UBCD does and it allows you to check to make sure the drive is ok, which it says it is.

I'm not sure what commands to use, I'm a linux newbie. I have enough knowledge to use linux by instruction, or to use a live cd to salvage files from regular drives.

The laptop is an MSI GT70, and I believe the SSD's are set up in RAID 0. It's a gaming laptop, so speed came first in the specs.

The Piney

#4 Post by The Piney » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:10 am

Sorry, that should be striping. http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/08/rai ... s-tutorial

As this has no parity, chances of saving the data will much less likely. As opposed to mirrored drives which is basically 2 copies of all the data, RAID "0" is stored across the drives in blocks/stripes so the files/data is partially stored on both drives.

Are you seeing both drives or just one? Try disconnecting one at a time and running the drive diagnostics to check both independently. If either drive is corrupt/dead you most likely have lost the data. You can try using recovery software that works with RAID arrays or you could send them to a service that does this but even they may not be able to save any files.

Good luck...