Query regarding duration of Mersenne Prime Test v28.5

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

JonathanB

Query regarding duration of Mersenne Prime Test v28.5

#1 Post by JonathanB » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:20 am

Hi

I'm new to UBCD (and think it's great!), and am currently running some stress tests on a new NAS server (Xeon E5-1650 v4 @ 3.60GHz with 128GB ECC RAM). It is currently running the Mersenne Prime Test v28.5 (default options), and has been running for 2-days now!

Is this test a continuous test or does it actually finish at some time?

Does it produce a log of any kind?

Cheers

Jonathan

The Piney

Re: Query regarding duration of Mersenne Prime Test v28.5

#2 Post by The Piney » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:22 pm

It will keep running until you stop it. I usually ran these programs for 10-12 hours and sometimes more just to check stability of the system. If the system hasn't crashed it's usually stable.

I don't recall ever having any log files created.

Explorer09

Re: Query regarding duration of Mersenne Prime Test v28.5

#3 Post by Explorer09 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:53 am

The mprime's stress test will run until you tell it to stop. I don't think there's a built-in way to let it run for a fixed time period (that's its design - better make your complaint on GIMPS' forums).
You can try some shell scripting tricks to limit the duration it runs -- but it's a pity that I didn't build "sleep" command into the CPUstress image.

The log files are probably created only when mprime is running in normal mode (searching for Mersenne primes rather than stress testing) -- check the working directories in /tmp because I'm not sure.