Advice Needed - Running UBCD on an Intel iMac

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

pointdee2

Advice Needed - Running UBCD on an Intel iMac

#1 Post by pointdee2 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:47 am

I'm using UBCD538 and I'm trying to identify a problem on a 2008/9 Intel based iMac https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac ... specs.html. I can boot from UBCD no problem but some of the text is corrupt. For example the first line of text is
Ultimate Boot C@ V1*3.8
Further down it says Meikry instead of Memory and QBCD BraeDKS instead of UBCD FreeDOS. This continues through all the submenus and is actually worse i.e. there is more text corruption in the submenus. Is this a known issue with UBCD on iMac or is it likely to be part of the problem I'm trying to identify?

If I go to Peripherals -> Video Memory Stress Test V1.7 and run the test then this fails instantly and every part of every test fails. If I leave it running for several hours it eventually stops with an error regarding swap space. These two problems would suggest a problem with the graphics card (Nvidia GeForce 8800 GS) but I don't feel I can trust this test as it reports that there is only 14MB (14 680 064 bytes) of video memory. Interestingly this test does not display the text corruption but seems to run in a Windows style window so maybe that's the reason

Any help/info/advice on the above would be welcome as I need to be sure of the problem before potentially spending £200 on a replacement graphics card

Thanks

The Piney

Re: Advice Needed - Running UBCD on an Intel iMac

#2 Post by The Piney » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:47 pm

Do you have video corruption when running Mac OSX and can you boot any other live distros?

If you have any other compatible video cards you can try swapping that out just for testing purposes.

The iMac I have is PowerPC so can't use on that but you have a chance, I couldn't confirm though.

pointdee2

Re: Advice Needed - Running UBCD on an Intel iMac

#3 Post by pointdee2 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:04 am

Thanks for asking

Mac OSX wouldn't boot and neither would the Snow Leopard install DVD, openSUSE Live would boot and function normally but was quite slow, Kali Live wouldn't boot. This is the first and only Mac I have dealt with so I had no other compatible cards

In the end I replaced the motherboard first as this was cheaper and this made no difference so I replaced the graphics card and it's now working fine so it seems that the text corruption was part of the problem. If I use UBCD now with the new graphics card there is no text corruption and the Video Stress Test is successful although still only reports 14MB

Thanks