How to edit registry/disable Automatic Restart on failure

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Roseweave

How to edit registry/disable Automatic Restart on failure

#1 Post by Roseweave » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:36 pm

I've bene unable to fix my PC for the last week or two since a crash, it won't boot into windows even in safe mode or a boot CD(though I can access UBCD). I have no idea what's causing this. I managed to successfully boot to windows log in screen once so it couldn't be completely catastrophic - if I could et in again I might be able to poke around and find out what's wrong.

However I can't get the registry editor to work. The PC Login also doesn't pick up my windows install. What do I do?

The Piney

Re: How to edit registry/disable Automatic Restart on failure

#2 Post by The Piney » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:00 am

The first thing I would do is get any files that are important off, if possible. Use a boot CD/DVD/USB such as https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ubcdlive.html or any other Linux Live CD or PE (Preinstalled Environment) or even boot UBCD and select PartedMagic and try that.

Next, check the drive using the manufactures diagnostic utility, included in UBCD or download from the manufacturer and try that if needed. No sense trying to restore function if the drive is failing/failed.

Then if you can boot to an install/repair CD/DVD run ---> chckdsk /f or chckdsk /r

More info would help, like the OS --> Windows XP, Vista, 7 etc.?

Manufacturer and model?

Anything else you can add?

Tanker_5455

#3 Post by Tanker_5455 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:55 am

I've actually had to buy a computer because of that issue... My old laptop (running on Windows 8.1) had exactly that issue, and kept doing it even after I did a complete Windows reinstall. It did launch Windows normally once, but then it crashed and went back to the endless cycle of automatic restart. I'd have sent it to be fixed at a computer service company if I hadn't a 50-page report on these flats in Berlin, their place in the real estate market, price changes etc to write for THREE DAYS LATER.
So, I jumped the gun and got myself a new laptop, but I'd like to fix the old one if possible, as to have a back-up computer if my new one, or, more realistically, my wife's e-dinosaur, kicks the bucket.
Is it still possible, or is my old laptop completely fried (because of, realistically, hard drive damage)?

The Piney

#4 Post by The Piney » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:03 pm

Hard drives can be replaced but it could be other issues as well. With new PCs/Laptops having UEFI instead of older BIOS some diagnostic tool such as UBCD may not work. If you still have info/files on the drive you should try to get that first. If you can't get a Live/PE boot disk/USB to work you can try putting the drive into an external enclosure before running diagnostics on the drive. So many possible issues it's hard to just say do this or that. I often see issues with airflow/vents being clogged with laptops and sometimes I've had to take them apart to get it cleared enough to allow good airflow.